• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
T Cobe Posted 7 years 8 months ago
Last edit: 7 years 7 months ago by Moderator. info_outline

anthem wrote: John Coltrane / Coltrane's Sound (1964) -- Satellite

Stan Getz - I don't get Stan Getz - What is it about Stan Getz that I don't get? He plays the sax - I like the sax - he doesn't play the banjo - thank God - why don't I get Stan Getz?

Needing Help in Kansas

Anthem,

Maybe it's the Latino influence of the music, or maybe it's just too laid back. If it doesn't work for you, it doesn't work. There's too much great stuff out there and in your library to worry about it. I still can't get into the smooth jazz or 70s jazz. It just sounds too much like background music to old adult films to me... I've got some new Jazz albums on the way this week and next. Maybe I'll find a winner then. ;)

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, anthem, rjohn79395, Pbgalvin

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 7 years 8 months ago
Oh, WOW!!!!
I really enjoyed you guys on the forum today!!!!!
Thanks Pbgalvin and Rick for confirming to me that I did not need streaming music AT ALL!!!!
But Bro Rick, I was right there with you on the Zack Brown "Toes", I got to watch that amazingly well done video and listen to a really good song because you posted it. LOVED it!!!! It has only been in the last year or less that I could stream anything or listen to a song on YouTube. Before our internet connection was so slow and poor that it was a few seconds of music then a min or so of loading, then a few seconds more, rinse lather repeat. But now we can listen to whole songs, watch football games, etc. That is the reason for my questions regarding streaming, it just might work now. But it looks like my beloved surround music is not available anyway, I probably need to look into HDTracks or some other place to buy quality downloads (my computer with a dvd player has been broken for over a year now, so I don't have any way to spin discs to make my own FLAC files of my own discs. Good thing I got them all down before it broke!
Bro Anthem, I don't GETZ it either!!!!! Great to hear you admit that!!!!
But this was the best one Bro T. said "I still can't get into the smooth jazz or 70s jazz. It just sounds too much like background music to old adult films to me..."
Now I don't know what old adult films you watch buddy, and I am NOT gonna ask!!!!!
But I am right there with you on not getting it, elevator going DOWN!!!!!!
OK
OK
OK,
While we are admitting things, I have been hoping to really get into and finally really understand classical music. I mean, how hard can it be????? WELL, DRAT IT!!!!! It seems to be way hard for me. I am just not getting it.
I can sit and enjoy it, can listen to a piece of music over and over until I know it really well and can conduct the orchestra myself, and in that way sorta "get it". I can be MOVED by it and savor the sound, the art!!!
But I cannot hear this motif, that musical reference, the repeated F, A flat, F Brahms is playing with in his 3rd Symphony. I really understand and FEEL "toes in the water and ass in the sand", but this highbrow stuff is eluding me.
OUCH, hate to admit that, and will keep trying for a while more.
Happy Listening and "roll a big one", burrito that is,
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: anthem, rjohn79395, T Cobe

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 7 years 8 months ago
Last edit: 7 years 8 months ago by rjohn79395. info_outline

WayneWilmeth wrote: K,
While we are admitting things, I have been hoping to really get into and finally really understand classical music. I mean, how hard can it be????? WELL, DRAT IT!!!!! It seems to be way hard for me. I am just not getting it.
I can sit and enjoy it, can listen to a piece of music over and over until I know it really well and can conduct the orchestra myself, and in that way sorta "get it". I can be MOVED by it and savor the sound, the art!!!
But I cannot hear this motif, that musical reference, the repeated F, A flat, F Brahms is playing with in his 3rd Symphony. I really understand and FEEL "toes in the water and ass in the sand", but this highbrow stuff is eluding me.
OUCH, hate to admit that, and will keep trying for a while more.
Happy Listening and "roll a big one", burrito that is,
God Bless,
Wayne

Hey, Wayne

I think the most important thing is, as you said, whether music MOVES you. That is my barometer. My old college room mate, who has since passed away, UNDERSTOOD music. In various roles, he was a music professor at Yale, Vice President of a music publishing company, Dean of the Juilliard School of Music. And he composed, had a very expensive synthesizer that could play and simultaneously commit to sheet music ANY of the orchestral instruments. I've heard pieces he composed played in NYC venues. We would have conversations now and then about music composition, and frankly, for me it was like trying to peel an onion a layer at a time, always another layer underneath to try to understand. I couldn't begin to think in the scope and depth he dealt in. (But he played music on what were some pretty ordinary speakers. Go figure.) I'm OK that even though I will never understand the theory behind the music like he did, I can still be MOVED by and enjoy music. Just like I can enjoy watching a good football game even if I can't diagram the X's and O's as well as the coaches can. And I don't know all the amazing technical design work that went into creating the GEt speakers, but I sure love listening to them!

I just go by whether any piece of music GRABS me, gets hold of something in my mind, transports me, takes me along, whether it's to toe tappin' or senses of beauty, or even sweet sadness. (My wife likes the toe tappin", happy stuff best.)

I know I can't think like Beethoven did while writing his symphonies, but they DO move me, and I'll settle for that. Hang in there!

Happy listening!

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 7 years 8 months ago
Sounds good Bro Rick!!!!
Funny, but I have musician friends, and known others, and none of them have ever had a really good music system.
I am thinking they get their kicks, musically, live.
OR
They hear it in their heads as a perfect musical thing, and what they are actually getting via the air waves is not so important to them. In support of this one, Beethoven, when he went deaf, still could hear it all in his mind!!!
Happy listening for us with our awesome speakers!!!!! And systems.
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395, T Cobe

• Pbgalvin's Avatar Offline
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Lovin' GET T1s
    • Thank you received: 633
Pbgalvin Posted 7 years 8 months ago
Great discussion on musical tastes. I can't even define mine, forget about helping someone sort out theirs!
Yesterday my "Chet Baker Vol 2. Seven Classic Albums" cheapo set arrived, probably at the exact second that Anthem was typing that he didn't get Stan Getz :-).
I like some country, some jazz, some rock, some classical but dislike others. No accounting for taste!
Got a bunch of classical off of ebay that I've been spinning and enjoying. But also bought some new vinyl of my favorite stuff and loving that too - Al Green's greatest hits, Neil Young greatest hits, Talking Heads "the name of this band is Talking Heads", Van Morrison Moondance (crazy good).
But back to classical while I work this morn. I just need to cut back on conference calls so I can listen more :-).
Happy New Year and happy music listening all...
2 channel -> GeT Ones.R, Rogue RP-7 pre, Kinki Studio B7 Monoblock amps fed by Oppo 105D, SonicTransport, OpticalRendu w/ 200,000 tracks, Rega RP8 w/ Garrott OPTIM S3 FGS Ruby + Sutherland 20/20 phono pre, PS Audio Powerplant 20
HT -> Marantz 7703, Butler Audio T5150 amp, GeT Ref mains
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395, T Cobe

• Pbgalvin's Avatar Offline
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Lovin' GET T1s
    • Thank you received: 633
Pbgalvin Posted 7 years 8 months ago
Btw interesting listening if you want to know more about classical music:
www.audible.com/pd/Arts-Entertainment/Ho...id=1483548832&sr=1-1
I found it to be oddly fascinating and the prof is top notch. Helped me discover more interesting classical music (and understand it just a bit more)...
2 channel -> GeT Ones.R, Rogue RP-7 pre, Kinki Studio B7 Monoblock amps fed by Oppo 105D, SonicTransport, OpticalRendu w/ 200,000 tracks, Rega RP8 w/ Garrott OPTIM S3 FGS Ruby + Sutherland 20/20 phono pre, PS Audio Powerplant 20
HT -> Marantz 7703, Butler Audio T5150 amp, GeT Ref mains
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395, T Cobe

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back