file Currently playing

• anthem's Avatar Offline school
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 9175
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
anthem Posted 8 years 11 months ago
Saturday night, listening to John Coltrane/Blue Train -- Locomotion.

This afternoon I setup a small bedroom system, using an Adcom GFA-555 amp (200 watt), Adcom GFP-565 Preamp, Adcom GCD-600 5-disc changer, Mapleshade Interconnects, and Emotiva Speaker wire. The star's of the show, however, are the speakers being used...the GEt SuperSat 3's. These little jewels blow me away. I've already racked up a couple hours of listening and can't wait for my next session to start...let the Good Times Roll.
D-Sonic m3a-600m Mono > McIntosh MC152 > Primaluna ProLogue Premium Preamp > Oppo UDP205 > Decware ZLC > Triton Reference > Isoacoustics Gaia 2 > Canare 4S11 Speaker Cables > Audience Forte 3, Anticable L3 & Shunyata Venom PC's

Every great performance deserves an Audience!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, rjohn79395, T Cobe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 8 years 11 months ago
Last edit: 8 years 11 months ago by T Cobe. info_outline
Anthem,

That's some serious 2-channel support for a pair of SSat 3s. I'm sure it sounds great and it must be nice to have components like that laying around but that is a serious supporting cast. Almost like having Michael Caine performing at a local community theater... :laugh: I'd be curious to hear how much better your Aon 3s or even a set of Triton 5s or 7s would sound with that set up.

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, anthem

• anthem's Avatar Offline school
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 9175
anthem Posted 8 years 11 months ago
Now T Cobe, settle down. No doubt all the speakers you mentioned would sound super good with this setup. The wife said yesterday that she was amazed that speakers as small as the SS3's could render such beautiful sound. If I replaced the SS3's with Aon 3's, she might get overly excited, have a heart attack and die...wouldn't want that, now would we. The SS 3's will stay......at least for now. :)
D-Sonic m3a-600m Mono > McIntosh MC152 > Primaluna ProLogue Premium Preamp > Oppo UDP205 > Decware ZLC > Triton Reference > Isoacoustics Gaia 2 > Canare 4S11 Speaker Cables > Audience Forte 3, Anticable L3 & Shunyata Venom PC's

Every great performance deserves an Audience!
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 8 years 11 months ago
Back to The Bach Gamut by Virgil Fox this morning following Rick's advice to listen to this recording in surround format. I don't normally go for a processed version of 2-channel to create surround sound but this live recording certainly lends itself to this format.

Listening in Dolby PLIIx definitely goes a long way towards putting you into the environment. Between the music and the ambiance of the church captured during the recording, you get a sense of being there in pew during the performance.

The music itself was just as powerful as in 2-channel, maybe even more so with the addition of LFE and a third subwoofer. While everything blended well, I got the sense that my Paradigm components were not as musical as my GET gear. The Aon3s in the rear surround position were clearly better than the left and right surrounds. While powerful, the Paradigm sub was not as musical or tonally accurate on the low organ notes as the Triton one. While it lacked in tone, it did add to the dispersion of bass and added presence.

This recording will definitely be on my reference list to evaluate speaker bass reproduction. I can't imagine a better recording for testing a speakers bottom end. There is certainly nothing better in my collection. Anthem, don't try playing this on your SSat 3s... :laugh:

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, anthem, rjohn79395

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 8 years 11 months ago

T Cobe wrote: Back to The Bach Gamut by Virgil Fox this morning following Rick's advice to listen to this recording in surround format. I don't normally go for a processed version of 2-channel to create surround sound but this live recording certainly lends itself to this format.

Listening in Dolby PLIIx definitely goes a long way towards putting you into the environment. Between the music and the ambiance of the church captured during the recording, you get a sense of being there in pew during the performance.

The music itself was just as powerful as in 2-channel, maybe even more so with the addition of LFE and a third subwoofer. While everything blended well, I got the sense that my Paradigm components were not as musical as my GET gear. The Aon3s in the rear surround position were clearly better than the left and right surrounds. While powerful, the Paradigm sub was not as musical or tonally accurate on the low organ notes as the Triton one. While it lacked in tone, it did add to the dispersion of bass and added presence.

This recording will definitely be on my reference list to evaluate speaker bass reproduction. I can't imagine a better recording for testing a speakers bottom end. There is certainly nothing better in my collection. Anthem, don't try playing this on your SSat 3s... :laugh:

Cheers,

T Cobe

Hi, T Cobe

Thanks for the test and the feedback!

I would guess that you're right, it's better with all GEt speaker gear for tonal matching. I did not get any tonal disparity at all with the T2's as the surround speakers, just an added sense of depth, and immersion in the music. Maybe an option is to try it with just your T1's, SCXL and Aon3's for an all GEt performance??? Not sure how hard that would be with your setup...

Thanks!

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 8 years 11 months ago
Bro. Anthem, I agree totally with what Bro. T. Cobe said,
Bro. T. Cobe, I agree totally with what Bro. Rick said.
Bro. Anthem, you got the best comeback of all though!!!!!!
Good ones guys,
God Bless, Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: anthem, rjohn79395, T Cobe

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back