file Currently playing

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
T Cobe Posted 8 years 11 months ago
Anthem,

The version I purchased was the RVG Edition of the 1959 Blue Note album. Music wise, it was very enjoyable. I could actually here the title of the song in the music. Autumn Leaves was a good example. Jazz is a lot like impressionist cart, it can be hard to "hear" the artists' intent. This album seemed to be easy to interpret. Make sense? I never took art appreciation in college...

Technically, I could still tell it was an old recording but there was nothing to distract from the music like I experience in many other old recordings. Other than the background hiss, there were very few distractions and the music was clear and dynamic. I didn't feel like there was anything between me and the music.

Cheers,

T Cobe

P. S. Today is will be Saxaphone Colossus!
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, anthem

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Artist: Sonny Rollins
Disc: Saxaphone Colossus (another RVG remaster)
Track: You Don't Know What Love Is.

Yes Wayne, back on the elevator but it's 0630 and the sounds are soothing. Another old recording and you can hear it a bit. The music is very laid back and has a vintage sound but everything is clean. No distortion or artifact. I'm listening at -50 on the XSP-1 since there are still people sleeping... That may have something to do with the listening impressions. One thing is for sure, Sonny can play!

Cheers,

T Cobe

Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze

• anthem's Avatar Offline school
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 9175
anthem Posted 8 years 11 months ago
Friday morning...Listening to Sonny Rollins/Saxophone Colossus -- Moritat.

T Cobe : when the "Sleeping Beauties" rise and shine...crank her up, Sonny always sounds better cranked up.
D-Sonic m3a-600m Mono > McIntosh MC152 > Primaluna ProLogue Premium Preamp > Oppo UDP205 > Decware ZLC > Triton Reference > Isoacoustics Gaia 2 > Canare 4S11 Speaker Cables > Audience Forte 3, Anticable L3 & Shunyata Venom PC's

Every great performance deserves an Audience!
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Anthem,

Definitely better loud but still not as pristine as more contemporary recordings. The house is cleared out now. Time for Age of Ultron. I'm going loud today!

Cheers,

T Cobe

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 8 years 11 months ago
Hey T. Cobe,
Please press the Basement button for me!!!!
Now that you are off the elevator, give us a Age of Ultron report, please.
Thanks,
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: T Cobe

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 8 years 11 months ago
Man o Man guys,
I am in hog heaven tonight!!!!!!
I ordered some SACDs, a DVD-Audio and some blu ray concerts a while back, and it took the longest to get them here from Amazon.
And then I have been super busy, And my laptop is bust. So I am limping along with a loaner laptop.
BUT the worst has been that my XMC-1 had a bug that made it dangerous to listen to SACDs in DSD on my Oppo. When DSD was stopped, or for any reason, interrupted, there was a big volume related THUMP. Meaning that since I like to listen rather loud, it scared the bejollies out of me and I feared for speaker damage!!!! Seriously. So I stopped playing them until we got a FW update that fixed the bug. OVER 4 months now and still NO FW update, although promised weekly.
Finally one of the Emo forum members was able to get a beta version of the update that fixed the Thump, and finally he passed it on to me.
So (after a long story, sorry) I am listening now to more of the RCA Living Stereo SACDs playing all 3 front speakers. I am just jumping from one to the other now, checking them out, but MORE GLORIOUS sound!!!!!!!
I will try to report on disc by disc, in case someone out there is interested. Probably not. But this is the best I have heard my system sound. I got one 5 channel Strauss that Kal Rubinson of Stereophile Music in the Round recommended, and will report on it too, 2 more side channels to love.
I know classical is not what most people listen to, and I get that. I am an old roughneck from the oil rigs, I am not a highbrow guy.
But my dear Dad introduced me to classical when I was young, and it stuck. Some.
I am still rock and roll to the end, but they are not making as much of that good stuff any more, so I am going back and rediscovering music I have never heard which is blowing my socks off!!!!!!
Oh heck, I might as well report on this one now, I can't take it outta the player. "Heifetz plays Sibelius, Prokofiev and Glazunov"
WOW the sound, not just the playing which is over the top AMAZING, but the sound of the recording, all three channels, L,C,R are just capturing the whole orchestra. There is no LFE, the only thing missing here, but the bass is plentiful and RICH. All the instruments come through RICHLY, full and REAL sounding. Heifetz was known for playing the stuff that supposedly NOBODY could play. Double stops all over the place, and all. This guy was a rock star for those who know and love the classics. And this recording was just so far ahead of its time.
You guys with those bigger and better center channels, my SC X sounds amazing on this. Check out your XLs and XXLs and you will be writing home about the sound. Yeah, my T 2s are filling in some for the smaller center, I am sure they are, but I cannpt hear it, it is seamless all across the front of my home theater, the Chicago Symphony orchestra has taken up residence in my HT!!!!!!
MOST HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!!!!!
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, anthem, rjohn79395, T Cobe

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back