file Currently playing

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
T Cobe Posted 9 years 1 month ago
Last edit: 9 years 1 month ago by Moderator. info_outline

anthem wrote: Thursday morning...listening to Brian Bromberg/Jaco (2006) -- Three Views of a Secret.

T Cobe: I've never been to Nebraska. I order my GE gear through Custom Electronics of Omaha via phone, but have never stepped foot in the state.

Splash: I like beans in my chili. P.S. (Pretty Stinky)... Makes for a very entertaining weekend. :whistle:

Anthem,

Aren't Nebraska and Kansas pretty much the same thing... :ohmy: :evil:

Glad some others enjoy beans as well. The primary ingredient that offended me in my recent pot of chili-like stew was the ground turkey... The peppers certainly helped. I added jalapeños, green chilies, and chipotle peppers and it is pleasantly warm. You know it's good if it makes you sweat but doesn't give you a stomach ache! :laugh:

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, anthem

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 9 years 1 month ago
Boys, Boys, Boys,
Nebraska is great, Bro Ahtnem!!! Kansas is great, Bro T Cobe!!!!!
Both lovely and well worth visiting.
You see, you thought I was gonna make a joke.
I love stew with beans and all kinds of peppers (yeah, turkey was probably not the best move T Cobe).
And I love Chili, which does NOT have beans in it, but can be entertaining the next day anyway (if BURN is entertaining) ha ha.
Splash51, I won't tell anybody, but Frito Pie is perhaps the pinnacle of HOT cuisine!!!!
Enjoy your tunes boys, I hope most of them are coming from your GoldenEar speakers.

Oh, and IF you guys tire of listening to your butts, and want to hear a reference male voice, give a listen to John Martyn's "Church With One Bell", the whole thing is awesome, but try this:

and try "Death Don't Have No Mercy"
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: anthem, Splash51, T Cobe

• anthem's Avatar Offline school
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 9175
anthem Posted 9 years 1 month ago
Another Beautiful Thursday afternoon...listening to Spyro Gyra/Love & Other Obsessions (1995) -- Serengeti.

This morning we went to Wichita to have my stitches taken out, plus learn the results of my 2cd biopsy. We rode the elevator to the second floor and on the way up the wife and I noticed NO elevator music...no Santana, no Spyro Gyra, no John Coltrane...what's the world coming to?

The 2cd biopsy was negative...what a relief. :) I had planned on doing some heavy deadlifting this weekend, but the doc doesn't want alot of stress on that arm...says to wait 1 week. So, I'll put in some extra time listening to my T2's...I'm not complaining.
D-Sonic m3a-600m Mono > McIntosh MC152 > Primaluna ProLogue Premium Preamp > Oppo UDP205 > Decware ZLC > Triton Reference > Isoacoustics Gaia 2 > Canare 4S11 Speaker Cables > Audience Forte 3, Anticable L3 & Shunyata Venom PC's

Every great performance deserves an Audience!
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 9 years 1 month ago
Anthem,

Congrats on the test results! That is fantastic! I bet you and the Wife are both extremely relieved. I'm certainly glad to hear it as well. You'll be back to bending the bar in no time. Enjoy a little down time with your expansive music collection and your Wife.

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, anthem

• anthem's Avatar Offline school
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 9175
anthem Posted 9 years 1 month ago
Sandy's Place - Omar Avital Quintet at The Jazz Standard

Those of you that are familiar with my musical taste know that it leans heavily in the jazz direction. This basically developed back in the early 70s, when I was attending college at the Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore. In addition to avidly collecting discarded tube amplifiers, like McIntosh 60s, 275s, Marantz 8s, 9s and the like that people were selling in the Sunday classifieds, as they "traded up to solid state", I was also developing my musical taste and moving from rock to jazz. I had the opportunity, in those days, to hear most of the rock legends, like Hendrix, Joplin, the Airplane, Santana, Canned Heat, etc., etc., live at the Fillmore East in NY (followed by late night dinners in Chinatown), among other venues.

But one day, while driving North up Charles Street, passing the Famous Ballroom, I saw on their marquee, that Pharaoh Sanders would be playing that Sunday at the Left Bank Jazz Society. Now, what was the Left Bank Jazz Society? Simply the best place to hear jazz on the planet in the late 60s and 70s. On Sunday, the Famous Ballroom was home to the Society, which held concerts from 5-9 in the evening, BYOB, bring your own food, sit at the picnic tables and groove. The Famous Ballroom, up on the second floor, was a classic 40s ballroom with blue painted ceiling and floating clouds. 

Well, Pharoah blew my mind (He is still my favorite jazz musician, don't miss him if he is in town), and I was off into the world of jazz. At the Famous I got to hear the jazz greats of the day, like Ellington, Basie, Dexter Gordon, Dizzy Gillespie, Chet Baker, Sun Ra, Art Blakey, Elvin Jones, Stan Getz, Johnny Hartman and the list goes on and on. Oh, and let's not forget Charles Mingus. Mingus was an extraordinary bass player, band leader and composer; clearly one of the most accomplished and important musicians of the day. I think that I have virtually every Mingus recording available, including all the underground concert recordings. Mingus was just amazing, and I heard him not only at the Famous, but in New York at the Vanguard, as well as at other clubs. And now, that brings me to Omar Avital.

I first heard Omar years ago at Smalls, another NY club, leading a quintet of Israeli jazz musicians and playing his own compositions. I remember going back to my hotel room that night thinking: this guy reminds me of Mingus. He attacked his instrument, totally controlled his band, and his compositions were terrific. When I looked into Omar's history, I learned he came to NY from Israel, recorded his first album on Impulse in 1992, and had played with the likes of Wynton Marsalis, Kenny Garrett, Joshua Redman, Roy Haynes, etc, as well as many of his own bands. I try to hear Omar whenever possible, and on June 28th, he was playing at the Jazz Standard (one of my favorite NY clubs and close to my NY loft) and I was in town. How fortuitous.

Omar was playing with a quintet, including Eli Dogbri and Joel Frahm on saxophones, Yonathan Avishai on piano, and Jonathan Blake on drums. They were simply outstanding. As with Mingus, Omar gets the best out of them and drives his musicians hard, way beyond their norm. Also, as with Mingus, Omar is not out front taking center stage, but in the back, but clearly the leader. His compositions are strong, interesting, and not too out, but just enough. The solos that night were super, including Omar's, and I left the Standard, floating on air, and headed down to a late night dinner in Chinatown at Hopkee. Omar's latest album is entitled New Song, and it is excellent. The critics describe it as," A synthesis of post bop and Israeli folk music". I describe it as GREAT!

Ordered my copy of Omer Avital/New Song...Thanks Sandy for the "heads up".
D-Sonic m3a-600m Mono > McIntosh MC152 > Primaluna ProLogue Premium Preamp > Oppo UDP205 > Decware ZLC > Triton Reference > Isoacoustics Gaia 2 > Canare 4S11 Speaker Cables > Audience Forte 3, Anticable L3 & Shunyata Venom PC's

Every great performance deserves an Audience!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, WayneWilmeth, T Cobe

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
Moderator Posted 9 years 1 month ago
Beautiful, thanks for sharing!
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, anthem, T Cobe

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back