file Currently playing

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
WayneWilmeth Posted 9 years 5 months ago
Bro Anthem, the young Pete Seeger and co was pretty sweet, thanks!!!!

Art, Thanks for that!
I used to be a tenor too, but baritone/bass became much easier as I got older. (I think it really is just a lack of practice that made them high notes hard to reach these days).
I normally do not much like Mozart (too playful for me) but I too find this Requiem more accessible and to my ears, more mature music. I also have and enjoy the Rutter Requiem and his Gloria too. Thanks for the other recommendations, I will look for them.
I agree that a Requiem is more easy to climb on-board for most of us who do not live in the classical world; the Latin words are fairly familiar I would say, quite a few know and understand the meaning of the "kyrie eleison, Christe eleison" and asking the Lord for MERCY is familiar to all of us old BLUES guys too.
Yeah, I dig your music world, even though I am a rock and blues man at heart.
All this input from you guys is awesome!!!!!!
Enjoy some tunes today, God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: anthem

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• ArthurDaniels's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 1811
ArthurDaniels Posted 9 years 5 months ago
Hi Wayne,

I have sung the Rutter Requiem and Gloria a couple of times in the past. In fact, the chorale I currently sing with is preparing the Rutter Requiem now for a May 17 performance. Rutter's music is fun to sing and the audiences seem to really like his music.

Right now, I am watching the Wisconsin-Duke NCAA Men's Basketball Championship game and listening to Martin Jones, a classical pianist, playing Brahms, Chopin, Mendelssohn, etc. The music is much more fun than the commentators at the game - not to mention the numerous commercials. Halftime - score knotted at 31.

Here's a Rock n Roll tidbit or two for you. I grew up in Memphis, TN during the 1940s and 1950s. In my homeroom in high school for three years were a couple of guys you might know - Steve Cropper and Donald "Duck" Dunn. Steve is still going strong so far as I know but Duck passed away about a year ago. When I was in college, I worked part-time for a retail record store - my jobs were assistant store manager and buyer. As the buyer, I traveled around town to various wholesalers to pick up records for the store. Along the way, I met a few more rockers - Jerry Lee Lewis, Roy Orbison, and, of course, the King himself. Elvis lived for a time on Audubon Drive in East Memphis - across Park Avenue from Audubon Golf Course, which I played frequently.

So, Rock on, Wayne.

Best,

Art
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Good stuff Art!!!! So great to have you on this forum with us.
Funny about you watching round ball but listening to classical music! I am totally into football, could not do that in the Fall.
I am just searching Amazon now, and found the Verdi Requiem on Blu-ray, actually several. Would you say the Mariss Jansons version would be a good one? I really like blu rays as I can see and hear, and they can be in glorious HD 5.1 sound!
Thanks for your recommendations.
God Bless,
Wayne
Attachments:

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Wayne,

The Jansons recording is a live performance. The orchestra and chorus are top notch. The setting is the Musikverein in Vienna, a world famous concert hall. So, if the recording is a good one and there's not any audience interference, then it should be a good performance. I think you can watch the whole thing on You Tube to see if you like it.

I am also a football (American college) nut, but I have watched games and listened to music at the same time. I may also be the oldest guy playing the NCAA College Football game on XBOX 360 and a significant contributor to a major forum for the game. I play only football on the XBOX - no other games - and I play as a Coach, not as a players on the field.

My lifetime sports passion is golf - I play 3-5 times per week during warm weather. I still walk and carry my clubs at 73.

Best,

Art
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Thanks again Art!!!!!
Well done at your age SIR!!!!! Golf is WAY too difficult for me, tried it, it is HARD!!!!!!
I will try that blu ray version then.
I much prefer that to CDs. I enjoy surround sound and seeing the performance really adds to the magic to me.
I could not find the Burana Requiem on blu ray, nor could I find a CD of Shaw conducting it. Any recommendations that Amazon would have?
The sound on my computer sucks so badly that You Tube does not tell me much about how it really sounds.
As to football, NCAA football is fun to watch in person (I always prefer coming here to Austin, TX during football season as my son in law has season tickets and takes me to the games!!!!). But being a U of Wyo. alum, there is not much joy rooting for my home team, sadly.
So I settle for watching the NFL (National Felons League).
It is a LOOOOOONG time between the SuperBowl and Fall kickoff!!!!!
Thank God for music, God Bless,
Wayne

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Wayne,

Carmina Burana is a choral/orchestral composition by Carl Orff. The Telarc CD is readily available - Telarc CD 80056. There are several DVD performances available. Just google Carmina Burana on DVD.

Regarding football - I'll bet your son in law is a Longhorn - I am a Crimson Tide fan of long standing. Despair not, Fall will be here sooner than you think.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, Dilettante, T Cobe

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back