file Looking for some GET speaker recommendations

• dwgncat's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 22
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
dwgncat Posted 7 years 8 months ago
Hello.

We are refinishing our basement from scratch and look to begin framing by the end of January. So, this is yet another request for opinion and feedback as I’m just not sure of a few things as I have read many, and like most of you, many forum posts in trying to get a more learned overview of all of this.

The wall with a distance of 7’ 3” on the drawing will not be at an angle as we will be squaring that off for better on-wall or in-wall rear surrounds

Expecting to start off with 5.1 and eventually move to 5.2.4 setup

Coming from a Zvox 770 soundbase in the family room so we really don’t know ‘great sound’

Our listening interests: 60% movies/30% music/10% gaming

Our existing equipment for this soon to be built HT area consists of the following:
Panasonic TC-P65VT65 plasma
Marantz AV8802 processor

Room size is included in drawing with no placement restrictions or no aesthetic or size concerns

Music liked by the Mrs and I at decent levels but not loud:
Me – from Arc Angels to ZZ Top (Rush, Iron Maiden, AC/DC, SRV, Dio, Last in Line, AIC)
Wife – Boston, Collective Soul, Journey, Bon Jovi
Basically 80s hair bands, classic rock, 90s grunge and newer country thrown in 

If floorstanders make sense for this area, I'd like to start with the GoldenEar Triton 3+ as I've heard the Triton 2 with my own music at a local authorized reseller and loved the staging and presence. If not, the Aon 3 or 2 for L/R fronts then a SuperCenter X or XL and possibly the SuperSat 3 for rears and eventually add the Invisa's for heights and/or rears?

Thanks very much for your help!

dwgncat
dwgncat

Basement Home Theater - Panasonic TC-65VT60 Plasma | Anthem MRX-510 | Panamax MR-5300 | GoldenEar Triton 3+ SuperCenter XXL Invisa 650s | AppleTV 4K 2nd gen | Control4
Family Room - Sony XR65A80CK OLED | AppleTV 4K 2nd gen
Master - Pioneer Kuro 5080 | ZVOX 580 | AppleTV 4K 2nd gen
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 7 years 8 months ago
Hi, Dwgncat

Welcome! You've found a safe place to ask questions, and the home of great products!

I guess the most commonly quoted statement in responce to "what speakers should I get" questions is, get the best you can afford, as you will be keeping them for a long time. In that context, I'd recommend starting with powered floorstanders for fronts, with their amazing bass. And within that category, again, the best you can afford. You can add surrounds and heights at whatever pace works for you, but starting with great fronts (and center) is a great place to begin.

You have a first class processor in the Marrantz 8802, and can add to the speaker group as you expand/upgrade your system. But start with speaker gear that you want to keep for the long term. Your Marantz will happily feed those speakers and reward you with fantastic SQ. Speakers ARE the limiting factor in what a sound system can produce. Be patient, and add quality speakers for other channels at a pace that works for you. Better to add quality over time than to compromise what you REALLY like hearing at each channel to fill channels sooner.

Happy listening!

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe, dwgncat

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 7 years 8 months ago
Welcome to the world of great music and movies!! Rick has given you some great advice and his comment on your Marantz is right on!!! The best speakers you can afford, I would go with at least the T 2+ speakers IF you can stretch your budget that far.
And try to square up more of that room if you can, have fun with it, you have a challanging room!
But never fear, even with an imperfect setup you can make something your family will really enjoy.
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395, T Cobe, dwgncat

dwgncat Posted 7 years 8 months ago
Here is GoldenEar support's reply to the same question... somewhat deflating as I will need to verify that I might not have enough room for L/R fronts but great information and suggestion nonetheless as I had not even thought of the 3D Array's.

Hi,

Thanks for your interest in the GoldenEar speakers for your new room. The narrow space defined by the TV and angled walls does not really seem to lend itself to a L/R speaker arrangement. Have you considered a 3D Array soundbar mounted to the top of the TV as an option? The XL Model would probably fit that TV's dimension nicely. That with a couple SuperSub Xs and SuperSat 3's (or Invisa MPX if you want in-wall instead) for surrounds would be a great system and lend itself perfectly to the space you have.

Thanks again,

The GoldenEar Team
dwgncat

Basement Home Theater - Panasonic TC-65VT60 Plasma | Anthem MRX-510 | Panamax MR-5300 | GoldenEar Triton 3+ SuperCenter XXL Invisa 650s | AppleTV 4K 2nd gen | Control4
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395, T Cobe

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 7 years 8 months ago
Hey Dwgncat,
That is probably a good answer unless you can pull your TV and speaker location outta that hole. That is a horrible place for them.
Wish I could help, I think the GEt has.
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395, T Cobe

dwgncat Posted 7 years 6 months ago
Last edit: 7 years 6 months ago by dwgncat. info_outline
Wanted to share that latest in my 'quest'...

Last week, I visited a local KC authorized GET reseller and was fortunate to engage in a couple hour listening fest based on 2 channel music only.

Started off with some Bonnie Raitt followed by some Sade then on to Steely Dan ending up with Rush's YYZ. The first set of speakers were the Paradigm 95F's. The Paradigm's (MSRP $2500 each) sounded very good with clear crisp and defined cymbals and piano along with Bonnie and Sade's voices coming through very clearly. I could tell with my eyes closed that there were, in fact, 2 speakers providing all this great sound (no subs). I really enjoyed the Paradigms... a good start.

Next up were the GET Triton One's (MSRP $2500 each)... all I can share is soundstage, soundstage, soundstage. Holy crap these One's provided the allusion that there were not just 2 speakers but a blended approach in the front. I heard the same songs but in reverse order. The One's duplicated what I had heard in the Paradigm's along with (and expected) bass with the built-in subs. Now, I was leaning the Triton route coming in since my 'alcove' room space for TV and speakers lends itself better to speakers with built-in subs since the width is somewhat limited for external subs.

I followed up with some B&W CM10's (MSRP $2000) which to me sounded rather reserved given the same songs. They were still very good but no way near as good as the Paradigm 95F's or the GET Triton One's.

So... with that being shared, I'm now thinking the following given:

- loving the Triton soundstage for music and believe HT to be great as well
- limited L/C/R and sub width space
- going with an Anthem MRX 720 receiver (sold the Marantz AV8802) and start with a 5.2 setup
- heights already wired for a possible add next year
- budget

Go with the Triton 3+'s, Super Center XL, and Invisa 650 for in ceiling rears to get the 5.2.

Any opinions on this thinking? I know that the 3+ will not sound as 'enveloping' as the 1's but size and budget seems to make sense now.

Thanks for your feedback and time!

dwgncat
dwgncat

The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Getting Started Buying Advice Looking for some GET speaker recommendations