file Worth upgrading receiver for better sound?

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
T Cobe Posted 8 years 8 months ago
Moderator,

I also prefer slightly less bass in my center channel reproduction and found that the Tritons produce too much when handling the center channel duties below 100Hz. It probably didn't help that I have my subs a little hot and had the acoustic issues with my exposed ceiling joists. I've since fixed those issues. Maybe I'll give the crossover settings another wag, though I admit that I finally feel I've got things dialed in pretty well.

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 8 years 8 months ago
I liked my SCXL at a 80 HZ crossover, so far have played the SCXXL at 60 HZ (also what AUDYSSEY recommended). The XXL seems more forgiving of a lower setting without giving up dialogue clarity. I'll play around some more with a slightly higher crossover and see how that sounds.

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, anthem, T Cobe

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
Moderator Posted 8 years 8 months ago

T Cobe wrote: Moderator,

I also prefer slightly less bass in my center channel reproduction and found that the Tritons produce too much when handling the center channel duties below 100Hz. It probably didn't help that I have my subs a little hot and had the acoustic issues with my exposed ceiling joists. I've since fixed those issues. Maybe I'll give the crossover settings another wag, though I admit that I finally feel I've got things dialed in pretty well.

Cheers,

T Cobe

As long as you don't push the limits, the lower crossover point is fine and could certainly be preferred in many setups.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395, T Cobe

• imahawki's Avatar Offline
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    • Thank you received: 578
imahawki Posted 8 years 8 months ago

T Cobe wrote: Nowhere892,

Rick and Anthem have provided some great advice, as always. The only thing I could add would be to look at your acoustics. I have the SCXL as well and was having a difficult time getting my sound where I wanted. I played with positioning, added amplification, and many other tweaks, but it wasn't until I addressed the acoustics of the room that I cleaned things up. The environment greatly effects your sound. If your tweaking your EQ manually and your dialogue is not clear, that would be my first consideration.

If you want to post some pics of your room, some of our members may be able to offer some good advice. You could also consult with a home theater custom installer in your area. I received some great advice from my GET retailer and implemented some very effective and inexpensive solutions. There are also companies that manufacture acoustic treatments and offer free consultation. Just some food for thought.

As Rick said, you have great speakers! They are certainly not the limiting factor here. Good luck getting things sorted out. Please let us know what works so others can learn from your experience.

Cheers,

T Cobe

I just posted in another thread a similar sentiment but you are spot on. Its something that many people don't want to hear but the room has a larger impact on the sound than any other component. I have a friend with a mega-buck system ($40k speakers etc.) but he spent around $60k on his room. That includes from scratch construction that took acoustics into mind but even if you back that out, I bet you could say he spent $15k on the direct acoustics of the room. That's a huge reason why his system sounds the way it does.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395, T Cobe

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Getting Started Buying Advice Worth upgrading receiver for better sound?