file Worth upgrading receiver for better sound?

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
T Cobe Posted 8 years 8 months ago
Anthem,

Very nice setup and a great looking room! Looks like you have a lot of furnishings, carpet, and wall treatments to break up any reflections. From what I've been reading, sibilance is primarily in the 5kHz to 8kHz range. Most of the issues seem to come from the mastering and recording side. I'm noticing quite a bit of it watching the Rose Bowl right now.

It sounds like speakers and amps can be a source of sibilance as well. I doubt that Anthem processor has any Issues. Have you tried running your center channel off of your Decware amp? Since it's right there, maybe that would rule out the amp... Any issues on stereo music at all with vocals or violin? Those seem to be the frequencies most frequently effected. What about Blu-Rays?

In reviewing the frequency response of the GET speakers, I'm not seeing any issues in the 5-8kHz range. They do seem to have a bump in the high frequencies between 10 and 20 kHz. That seems a bit higher than the typical sibilance frequencies. I'm leaning towards the source here. It sounds like the same garbage in, garbage out we've discussed here before. Adjusting for bad sound on your satellite/cable tv provider will compromise your Blu-Ray performance...

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, anthem, rjohn79395

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• anthem's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 9175
anthem Posted 8 years 8 months ago
T Cobe

I've thought about trying the Decware but haven't yet. I bet it would make the SCXXL sing.

When listening to "The Threesome" (T 2's & SCXXL throught the Anthem d2v)everything sounds fine. I very rarely listen to vocal type music, so can't really comment on that.

With the Anthem d2v every component is independent of the other. I can adjust treble for the satellite and have it not affect other components. The adjustment I made today (lowered the HF 11db) has really, really helped. Even though the T2's are playing, along with the SCXXL, voice appears to be coming from the center...Perfect.

My Reference point on the D2v is -6 (75db) When watching blu-ray I like action-packed movies loud. When pushing the volume closer to the -6 mark the center channel starts sounding stressed, edgy, and gasping for air. Yesterday I purchased Mission Impossible Rouge Nation and during the motorcycle chase scene I cranked the volume to -15. The fronts, surrounds, rears, and subs sounded great, but the SCXXL sounded stressed...the weak link. My wife doesn't notice this, which I feel is so odd.

When watching action movies such as Mission Impossible, how far from Reference Volume do you get?
D-Sonic m3a-600m Mono > McIntosh MC152 > Primaluna ProLogue Premium Preamp > Oppo UDP205 > Decware ZLC > Triton Reference > Isoacoustics Gaia 2 > Canare 4S11 Speaker Cables > Audience Forte 3, Anticable L3 & Shunyata Venom PC's

Every great performance deserves an Audience!
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395, T Cobe

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
Moderator Posted 8 years 8 months ago
You're going to need to raise the crossover on the center to 100hz for high volume playback to keep up with the Tritons
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, anthem, rjohn79395, T Cobe

• nowhere892's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 13
nowhere892 Posted 8 years 8 months ago
I'm eliminating the room as being a culprit. All of my testing is done with the center angled up at me and positioning myself directly in front. Some DVDs sound ok, the dialogue better in some than others. TV watching is the issue. I had Directv and now have RCN cable with similar issues.

I find I prefer choosing Dolby Digital when watching TV - I can actually hear the dialogue very clearly. The problem is that for a lot of stations I get no sound from the Marantz unless I choose Multi CH Stereo.

There are different options on different stations. For example, on PBS I have the following sound modes:
Stereo
Dolby PLII Movie
DTS Neo :6 cinema
Multi CH Stereo
Virtual

On other stations Dolby digital is an option with different options.

Is this how the network chooses to broadcast their signal meaning that it doesn't matter which receiver I'm using?
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395, T Cobe

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Anthem,

On Rogue Natio, I was at 60dB on my volume know. Would 75 dB be reference? I believe it's set for absolute volume versus above or below reference. In either case, at 60dB, I was peaking at over 100dB on my sound level meter. Things sound amazing and the SCXL really doesn't seem to be having any issues and I have my crossover set to 70Hz.

Cheers,

T Cobe
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Moderator wrote: You're going to need to raise the crossover on the center to 100hz for high volume playback to keep up with the Tritons

I know this recommendation comes from the subject matter experts with extensive testing, but I prefer a 70 Hz crossover. After significant testing in my system, I prefer the SCXL stand on its own two feet, so to speak, and not give up any center channel duties to my Triton Ones. Just my preference in my setup.

Cheers,

T Cobe

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Getting Started Buying Advice Worth upgrading receiver for better sound?