file Worth upgrading receiver for better sound?

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
T Cobe Posted 8 years 8 months ago
Last edit: 8 years 8 months ago by T Cobe. info_outline

nowhere892 wrote: I'm eliminating the room as being a culprit. All of my testing is done with the center angled up at me and positioning myself directly in front. Some DVDs sound ok, the dialogue better in some than others. TV watching is the issue. I had Directv and now have RCN cable with similar issues.

I find I prefer choosing Dolby Digital when watching TV - I can actually hear the dialogue very clearly. The problem is that for a lot of stations I get no sound from the Marantz unless I choose Multi CH Stereo.

There are different options on different stations. For example, on PBS I have the following sound modes:
Stereo
Dolby PLII Movie
DTS Neo :6 cinema
Multi CH Stereo
Virtual

On other stations Dolby digital is an option with different options.

Is this how the network chooses to broadcast their signal meaning that it doesn't matter which receiver I'm using?

Mark,

I have the same issues with DirecTV. The audio format and broadcast quality certainly plays a role. I wouldn't do any critical listening or adjusting unless you're using a reference caliber movie on Blu-Ray. All you can do is setup your system to where it can sound it's best. Since you have no control over the content you play or watch, particularly via broadcast television, it's not a good point of reference and no amount of tweaking is going to make horrible sound quality any better, as a rule. You probably could tweak things for each and every program to a certain extent, but that would get exhausting. :laugh:

Cheers,

T Cobe

P.S. Your cable receiver may have some sound setting options but if the programming isn't in Dolby, you are stuck with lower quality sound.
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 8 years 8 months ago
Last edit: 8 years 8 months ago by rjohn79395. info_outline

anthem wrote: T Cobe

I've thought about trying the Decware but haven't yet. I bet it would make the SCXXL sing.

When listening to "The Threesome" (T 2's & SCXXL throught the Anthem d2v)everything sounds fine. I very rarely listen to vocal type music, so can't really comment on that.

With the Anthem d2v every component is independent of the other. I can adjust treble for the satellite and have it not affect other components. The adjustment I made today (lowered the HF 11db) has really, really helped. Even though the T2's are playing, along with the SCXXL, voice appears to be coming from the center...Perfect.

My Reference point on the D2v is -6 (75db) When watching blu-ray I like action-packed movies loud. When pushing the volume closer to the -6 mark the center channel starts sounding stressed, edgy, and gasping for air. Yesterday I purchased Mission Impossible Rouge Nation and during the motorcycle chase scene I cranked the volume to -15. The fronts, surrounds, rears, and subs sounded great, but the SCXXL sounded stressed...the weak link. My wife doesn't notice this, which I feel is so odd.

When watching action movies such as Mission Impossible, how far from Reference Volume do you get?

Wow, Anthem

At my 60 HZ crossover on the SCXXL, I have NEVER had it sound stressed... it keeps up with the T1's and T2's just fine ,seems to just love playing with the big boys, right through thunderous earthquake scenes from "San Andreas" to ear filling battle scenes in "Saving Private Ryan". HHMMM. I have not run into any headroom issues at all, or ever felt the need to raise the crossover for headroom reasons. I don't Know just what to make of what you're experiencing. With a 60 HZ crossover on the SCXXL, and 80 HZ on the Invisa's, I seem to be able to blast the volume without headroom issues at all.

Re the sibilance you've been experiencing... I had an outside the box thought..forgive me if I haven't got it straight on what equipment you have where. I know you have your 2 channel system with the Tori, T2's and Anti-Cables, and I 'm presuming the surround system with the SCXXL is separate (or, at least the Anthem d2v feed is different), as is the (3rd?) Supersat based music system. In any case, I have been thinking about how power cords can change listening dynamics, and how the Anti-Cables INCREASED clarity on my system, while the Venom 3, when attached to the Marantz AVR, made the sounds SOFTER.... Anyway, I wonder what would happen if you tried one of your Venom 3's on the Anthem to soften things just a bit and help tame the sibilance?? Just a thought.

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, anthem, T Cobe

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
Moderator Posted 8 years 8 months ago

T Cobe wrote:

Moderator wrote: You're going to need to raise the crossover on the center to 100hz for high volume playback to keep up with the Tritons

I know this recommendation comes from the subject matter experts with extensive testing, but I prefer a 70 Hz crossover. After significant testing in my system, I prefer the SCXL stand on its own two feet, so to speak, and not give up any center channel duties to my Triton Ones. Just my preference in my setup.

Cheers,

T Cobe

No argument with that, but when I hear "strained at high volumes", that's either the amp working too hard or the speaker being pushed to its limits, both of which can be addressed with a higher crossover point. I prefer slightly less bass energy in the center for dialog intelligibility reasons too. For most, 80 Hz is the perfect compromise.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395, T Cobe

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 8 years 8 months ago
Last edit: 8 years 8 months ago by rjohn79395. info_outline

Moderator wrote:

T Cobe wrote:

Moderator wrote: You're going to need to raise the crossover on the center to 100hz for high volume playback to keep up with the Tritons

I know this recommendation comes from the subject matter experts with extensive testing, but I prefer a 70 Hz crossover. After significant testing in my system, I prefer the SCXL stand on its own two feet, so to speak, and not give up any center channel duties to my Triton Ones. Just my preference in my setup.

Cheers,

T Cobe

No argument with that, but when I hear "strained at high volumes", that's either the amp working too hard or the speaker being pushed to its limits, both of which can be addressed with a higher crossover point. I prefer slightly less bass energy in the center for dialog intelligibility reasons too. For most, 80 Hz is the perfect compromise.

Hey, Anthem, is it possible that something a little funky is going on in the Anthem d2v, especially the center channel, with the sibilance and straining issues you are running into? With all the great gear in your inventory,would it be worth trying another receiver, pre/pro, whatever, just to see how the SCXXL does with that? Just a thought.

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, anthem, T Cobe

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 8 years 8 months ago
Anthem,

Probably a silly question, but did you re-run your ARC when you changed your center channel? Have you tried with room correction on and off? When setting my center channel crossover frequency, I picked a scene that was particularly challenging and made adjustments followed by re-watching the scene. Maybe start at 100Hz and work your way down to see if it effects your sibilance. I'd still be curious to hear how your center would sound on the Decware. That may be a good experiment. Besides the Emotiva XPA-1s, do you have any other amps you could try just to be sure? Maybe you could try a better power cable on the XPA powering your center...? Or, as Rick suggested, maybe on the Anthem processor.

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, anthem, rjohn79395

• anthem's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 9175
anthem Posted 8 years 8 months ago
Hey Rick

As per moderator's suggestions, I've upped the center channel crossover to 100 hz and turned down the HF by 12db (Dish Satellite) this sounds great...Sibilance is almost nonexistent.

I'm currently using a Venom 3 on the d2v. I've tried a Anti-Cable on both the d2v and Emotiva xpa -1...didn't really hear any difference.

Tomorrow I'll setup blu-ray playback the same as the satellite and replay Mission Impossible...wish me luck.

The Super Sat 3's are in the Adcom bedroom setup.
D-Sonic m3a-600m Mono > McIntosh MC152 > Primaluna ProLogue Premium Preamp > Oppo UDP205 > Decware ZLC > Triton Reference > Isoacoustics Gaia 2 > Canare 4S11 Speaker Cables > Audience Forte 3, Anticable L3 & Shunyata Venom PC's

Every great performance deserves an Audience!
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395, T Cobe

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Getting Started Buying Advice Worth upgrading receiver for better sound?