file Auditioned Triton one

• Mani's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 12
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
Mani Posted 9 years 2 days ago
Hi, I am not an audiophile. Pretty new to the terminologies. So please read my review/question in that context. I went to local GE dealer to audition Triton 2 and 1. I found the sound to be full, higher volume than other speakers. I was expecting a lot from the 1s but the bass was kind of muffled, imaging not so good plus the clarity was not there. I have read a lot about how the positioning of the 1s matter a lot and people have seen dramatic differences. I really want to like and buy Triton 1 but right now I am not fully sold yet. Any advice on proper way to do audition. I did compare with DynAudio and Revels and the sound was cleaner. I must be missing something?
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 9 years 2 days ago
Mani,

Welcome to the forum. Those are some great speakers you are comparing. I wanted to audition Revels when I was shopping last and finally decided on my Triton Ones; however, I did not have a local dealer. I did compare them to many other brands and models including; Focal, Paradigm, Martin Logan, Magnepan, Bryston, Definitive Technology, Bowers & Wilkins, Sonus Faber, and probably a few others I'm forgetting.

While personal preferences will certainly steer your selection process, I have to say that I'm surprised that you felt there were issues with muffled bass, imaging, and clarity. Those are typically three of the Triton Ones strong points. Many factors could have effected their performance. The set up would certainly effect the sound. Positioning, electronics feeding the speakers, the music you were listening to, and the gain on the Triton's sub amp.

Can you tell us a little more about your audition to include the components feeding the Triton's, the positioning, what you were listening to, and if the bass seemed too loud? How did you switch from speaker to speaker? Did they keep everything else the same and simply move different speakers into position? Did you use the same music?

I'm sure there are at least a few forum members that will have additional input and questions. You can read plenty of reviews here and online to support that imaging, clarity, and bass are 3 of the Triton Ones strong points. I'm guessing something was wrong with the audition.

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, anthem

• ArthurDaniels's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 1811
ArthurDaniels Posted 9 years 2 days ago
Hi Mani,

In addition to T. Cobe's comments, here is another element to consider with regard to Triton One Bass sounds. The Triton One has an LFE input, so there are two ways to experience bass sounds with the Triton One. If your dealer had the Triton Ones connected with just speaker wires, the first question would be: Where were the Triton Ones' bass level controls set?

If your dealer did not demonstrate the Ones with the LFE connected, then you could ask the dealer to connect the LFE inputs from the sub-woofer amp outs and listen to both music and DVD audio with LFE inputs. In addition, some AV Receivers (such as Onkyo and Integra) offer the option to send audio bass signals directly down the LFE lines when listening to music in the Analog Direct Mode.

I own a pair of Triton Ones and I use my Onkyo AV Receiver's Analog Direct Bass option when listening to music. I have plenty of deep bass in this mode - so much bass in fact that I have the Triton One's bass level controls set to the third dot up from Minimum (typically referred to as the 9:00 o'clock position). I typically listen to music at relatively low volume - if I listened at higher volumes, I would set the Triton One bass level control to Minimum with my setup.

You mentioned that you are not an audiophile - OK, but I recommend that you spend some time acquiring a basic understanding of today's complex audio-video technology so that you can understand how to audition speakers, amplifiers, etc. to match your personal listening preferences - both for sound and music type.

There are a number of people on this forum who can help you with questions. Yes, we are all satisfied Triton speaker owners, but we are also seeking the best listening experience and we have a variety of personal preferences.

Best of luck in picking the best gear for your listening pleasure.

Art
The following user(s) said Thank You: T Cobe

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 9 years 2 days ago
Hi and welcome Mani,
I have to agree with T. Cobe that you got a bum audition. For whatever reason, there is NO WAY that properly setup Triton Ones, with decent equipment would not sound great!!!!
I have run into this VERY often myself, MOST stores demo the GEt speakers with cheaper electronics, because the speakers are at such a good price, they THINK they are cheaper. And MOST have them in a room with LOTS of other speakers, which messes up the sound, AND most do NOT toe in the speakers toward the main listening position. I even had a dealer tell me that straight ahead was THE recommended way to play them and that he would ONLY demo the speakers that way. (He did not have a clue!)
I have the Triton 2s and I can tell you that they sound MUCH better set up in my home theater than they did in ANY dealer's store room. They just have too many compromises, usually. Not all of them, but MOST of them.
Andf as T. Cobe says, pls remember to take along music that is very familiar to you, that will highlight what you want to listen for.
These are the audiophile tricks that you probably won't know. Also, don't let them rush your audition.
I would not be so worried about the electronics they use, because you might not have the greatest pre-amp and amp combo yourself, so try to hear the speakers with similar equipment to what you will have at home. Don't worry, the Triton Ones will sound fine with lesser eq. Just will sound better when one of these days you have saved up and bought that killer eq. that you will want to have.
(I did hear the T 2s demoed with $5,000 speaker cables, a $10,000 CD player, another almost $20,000 in pre and amps. Still they sound better in my home than they did there, because mine are dialed in correctly where I get the imaging and bass, etc. all the tings that you missed in your audition). But they did sound incredible, the speakers will not let down the team!!!!!
Hope this helps and pls let us know what happens, what you decide.
God Bless, Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: T Cobe

• murphyslaw1978's Avatar Offline
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    • Thank you received: 337
murphyslaw1978 Posted 9 years 1 day ago
When I listened to the Triton Twos at a dealer, it was in a dedicated room. We ran everything through NAD preamp and amps, and the Tritons were well away from any walls. I took my iPhone with and used CD-quality stored music which played through the headphone jack, but we also used CDs. The only time I wasn't impressed with the speakers was an imaging problem. We ended up figuring out that it was the source material. We played the same song using a different recording and it was fixed. One thing is clear - the room, the setup, the gear, the source - all play into it.
7.1 today, moving to 7.1.4 tomorrow
(2) Triton Two - front mains
(1) Sat 60C - center
(2) Sat 50s - sides
(2) Sat 50s - rear
(2) DIY 18" Stereo Integrity subs, 1100w each
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

• Mani's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 12
Mani Posted 9 years 1 day ago
Thank you all. I know that something that has received rave reviews cant be like this. I auditioned with Mac Amps and some other high end equipment running eagles CD. There were other speakers to the outer side of 1s. I did not adjust the bass. The speakers were not connected through LFE. Also they were slightly toed in towards me.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Getting Started Buying Advice Auditioned Triton one