file Auditioned Triton one

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
WayneWilmeth Posted 9 years 1 day ago
Hi Mani,
What you really need of course, is a dealer that will let you take the Triton Ones home and audition them there.
He might be willing to do that IF on a purchase with opportunity to return IF you don't like them kind of deal.
Would not hurt to check.
I know many people who have done that around here and never returned them, they have kept them.
Do you have music that you know really well, something that can let you hear the difference between being reproduced badly and played well? Like, I have a track on Dire Straits "Brothers in Arms" which I have heard them play live in concert. I feel like I still remember what that should sound like. I use female vocals because MANY speakers cannot make a woman's voice sound "right" like the GoldenEars can. I play a male voice to make sure it sounds normal, not nasal and not chesty (those apply to female too). I play a BIG symphony at loud levels to see if the speaker can cope and not get overwhelmed. And a solo piano or violin, actually I love cello. Recordings I am familiar with so I think I know how they "Should" sound.
There are also test recordings out there, or audiophile recordings you can use.
Anyway, we are just hoping you can get a good audition of the Triton Ones, because, I think I can speak for all of us here, you hear them right and you will NOT be disappointed, you will be wowwed!!!!!
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: T Cobe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 9 years 1 day ago
Last edit: 9 years 1 day ago by T Cobe. info_outline
Mani,

While I agree with Wayne that an in home audition would be best, unless you have a REALLY good relationship with a REALLY good dealer, I'm not sure this is a reasonable expectation. It certainly doesn't hurt to ask.

As Wayne and the rest have said, go back with some music you are very familiar with, make sure they set the room up properly, and make sure the gain knob is at 12:00 on the T1s. I have experienced imbalanced sound and what one may perceive as muddy bass (probably room acoustics), along with weaker imaging and clarity. Too much bass is like too many cooks in the kitchen...

Make sure you are paying attention to speaker distances and form the equilateral triangle discussed in Sandy's Set Up Tips. I also recommend toeing the speakers directly at the primary listening position(PLP). Make sure the PLP is dead center between the two speakers. This positioning is vital for critical listening. Lastly, load a sound level meter app on your cell phone and make sure any speaker comparisons are at the same dB level. Using the same volume setting on the electronics from speaker to speaker is not a reliable method. Variances in efficiency will create very different volume levels. A 3 dB difference is huge and can skew your listening impressions.

Hopefully some of this is helpful. Good luck with your second audition!

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
Moderator Posted 9 years 1 day ago
Very sorry to hear this. If you'd care to share the dealer name we can do some investigating. I am sorry to say that given the very affordable price of the Tritons some dealers do not allow them to demo as well as their more expensive alternatives. It is obvious you got a bad demonstration, whether it was an accident, lack of knowledge (or caring), or an actual effort to deceive, is unknown. The Absolute Sound and Stereophile reviews are very accurate assessments of how the speakers sound vs. other excellent high-end loudspeaker choices. If your audition did not reinforce these opinions, something was wrong.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 9 years 1 day ago
Mani,

I have no doubt that you hearted what you describe at your recent audition and I wouldn't rule out that you may simply prefer the sound of the Revels over GET but I thought I would take a few minutes to address your observations. These results and impressions are based on my perceptions, in my acoustically treated room, and with my equipment so take in perspective. This was a great opportunity for me to accomplish some critical listening as well as I have recently integrated new equipment, cables, and placement to optimize 2-channel listening. As with any change in my system, I put in The Ultimate Demonstration Disc by Chesky Records and sat down for some critical listening.

Imaging: The three tracks that best showcase the T1s from this disc for imaging are; I Love Paris by Johnny Frigo, Vivaldi's Flute Concerto in D, and Stravinsky's The Royal March. All of these tracks have a rather large soundstage and demonstrate superior imaging. Instruments come at you from various positions, depths, and in some places you can even hear elevation. All of these cues combine to give you a three-dimensional soundstage. At reference volume, you can simply close your eyes and you will where the music was recorded.

Clarity: The best Songs from this same disc to demonstrate transparency are Spanish Harlem by Rebecca Pidgeon, Ana Caram's Correnteza, Ask Me Now performed by McCoy Tyner and Joe Henderson, and of course the track meant specifically to demonstrate transparency- Played Twice by the Fred Hirsch Trio. All of these tracks demonstrate very clear and transparent presentations of the music. The vocals are very natural and to ally accurate through the T1s. The biggest difference I noticed between the Triton One and Two was the clarity. My local dealer was able to switch between the two models with the push of a button and it truly did sound like a veil was lifted. Please forgive the overused hyperbole but this is the easiest way to describe the change.

Bass: I've experimented a great deal with the bass on the T1s, as has Art Daniels. My conclusions are that the bass is tighter, better balanced, and more musical going through the speaker level inputs for music. This disc has a few tracks that emphasize just how tight and musical the bass from the T1s is. The best test is track 26, the bass resonance audiophile test. I have listened to this track on other speakers and the T1 provides a very accurate, tight, and beautiful presentation of the Bass being played. While this track is short, it is very revealing of proper bass balance.

There you have it. I'm very happy with my T1s. Every investment I have made in my equipment, cables, and acoustic treatments have been rewarded. It has been a very rewarding experience thus far and I have a little ways to go. I look forward to the rest of my journey and hope you find yourself equally excited about the process. Good luck and please share your findings.

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, anthem, rjohn79395, DGA

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Getting Started Buying Advice Auditioned Triton one