file 5.1.2 Invisa 650 or HTR 7000s ?

• Halo555's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 21
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
Halo555 Posted 7 years 2 months ago
Hi folks. Just joined this forum. Seems like there are a lot of question for Atmos set up. Me as well. I had posted on AVSforums soliciting advice on a 5.1 set up choosing between a Golden ear set up vs a Martin Logan set up. I'm torn between the two. Now I am more seriously considering a 5.1.2 set up adding 2 atomos speakers.

If going with GoldenEar I would get three Supersat 60 for L/C/R. I had been thinking I would choose the Invisa 650 for rears. Or should I consider the7000s ? It almost seems obvious that I would use 650s for the height speakers but I'm open to any and all recommendations.

Primary listening area is 12ft ceiling. Directly behind sofa is 10ft ceiling. One large open rectangular room kitchen, dining, living 34 ft x 22 ft wide. On wall speakers spaced about 8.5-9ft as seen by the card board cutouts would flank a Sony 75" 940E. Back of 11 ft wide sofa is 11ft from fireplace wall. There is no mantle on fireplace wall. Center channel will get hung below TV or screwed into wall above low profile fireplace. It is a 60in wide fireplace but heat is not an issue.

The two Atmos height speakers would be at 12ft height and would have to be positioned slightly forward of the sofa. Cannot place surrounds on side wall. Has to be ceiling.

The questions are which speakers would you choose for the rear surrounds and for the heights and where would you position them ? I have not plans for 7.1.2 set up. I'm limiting myself to a 5.1.2 set up. I have some flexibility on where to position the ceiling speakers as it's a 1 story house with an open attic as long as it doesn't coincide with a beam or a light can.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 7 years 2 months ago
Welcome here Halo555
I don't know anything about ATMOS nor the ceiling speakers, so will let others reply.
I just think you will get better sound from a GEt system than ML. But I am prejudiced, as I am surrounded by GEt speakers in a 7.1 and love it. (And find no need whatsoever for ATMOS).
Still this is the place to get your answers.
Good hunting,
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395

Thanks Wyane for your input. I was avoiding making my post a GolddenEar vs. a competitor, in this Martin Logan, especially considering this is a GoldenEar forum. I had posed that question on the AVSforums, but I suppose I will ask for expert advice.

If choosing Martin Logan, it would be three SLM XLs for LCR and EM-ICs for rears. All these Martin Logans have their folded motion tweeter which is supposed to have an 80x80 dispersion patter. The LCR speakers are exactly the same as opposed to the GoldenEar subsats which have a specific center channel. Apparently the LR speakers have more of a vertical dispersion while the center has more of a horizontal dispersion.

What will this mean to me ? Which would be better for movies, music ? We do like listening to music in 5 channel stereo or party mode. What would I notice ?

For now I plan to keep and utilize my old Boston Acoustics sub, a 12" PV 800. For a future 2nd sub I'm considering a force field 4 or supersub X, even if going with Martin Logans. I wanted a 10" to complement the 12" I already have.

I don't expect my fronts to sound as good as tower floor standing tower speakers, but I I don't think I could go too wrong with either the MLs or the GoldenEar subsats although I'd say I'm leaning toward the GoldenEars 60/40. Assuming I'm going with the Golden Ears I'm still wondering if I should go with the 7000s over 650s and where I should position the rears and heights.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

• Timecop's Avatar Offline
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    • Thank you received: 270
Timecop Posted 7 years 2 months ago
First off, definitely go supersub x vs. forcefield sub. In terms of the L/R - I would really suggest going with floorstanders vs. the SuperSat series. Second - given the photos you've included, I'm curious why you aren't considering the triton 5's. You've already got a similar footprint in the speakers pictured, and the fives will do everything better.

I started with SS50's as L/C/R and moved to sevens as L/R, and finally got to two's as L/R which - frankly, is where I should have started all along. The SuperSat series are great, but really can be a bear to mix with a subwoofer.
Triton Two front L/R
SuperSat 50c center
Triton Seven surround L/R
SuperSat 50 surround rear L/R
AVR Arcam AVR-21
Amp Marantz mm7025
Velodyne optimum 10” sealed, back left corner
SuperSub X front-right corner

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 7 years 2 months ago
FWIW, Halo555, I agree with Timecop above.
IF you have the room and budget, go with Floorstanders, the Triton towers, any of them will beat the pants off the SS series.
Just my 2 cents worth.
God bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.

I agree Wayne and TimeCop, but the simple reason we are not going with towers is WAF - wife approval factor. The two BA bookshelves I have on stands is just a temporary set up. When I showed her pictures of the ML SLM XLs and GoldenEar subsat 60s she preferred the MLs but I think we can get past that.

We general don't listen to music very loud so I don't think the on walls will be much of problem.

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support Invisa Series 5.1.2 Invisa 650 or HTR 7000s ?