file SuperSat 3 and SuperSat 50

• bak464s's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 9
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
bak464s Posted 8 years 5 months ago
Last edit: 8 years 5 months ago by bak464s. info_outline
I'm pretty new to this, so please excuse me, this may be a dumb question. I'm starting to build a home theater set up and am going to start out small and build up to a complete 5.1 or 7.1 set up.

Yesterday I went to my local dealer and he suggested the GoldenEar SuperSat line. I ended up ordering 2 SuperSat 3s and a SuperSat 3C. I am also going to purchase the JL Audo Dominion™ d108 sub to round out a 3.1 starter system. My thought would be that I'll eventually upgrade to SuperSat 50s for the front L R and Center and move the SuperSat 3s to the rear. I guess at that point I could order another SuperSat 3 and use that with the SuperSat 3C to make it a 7.1 system.

Now I'm wondering if I should have not ordered the SuperSat 3C and just upgraded to the SuperSat 50C from the start.

So I'd have this:

Front L & R: SuperSat 3
Center: SuperSat 50C

Would it not be a good idea to combine the SuperSat 3s for front L & R and a SuperSat 50C for center until I can afford the SuperSat 50s for L and R and move the 3s to the back to complete the 5.1 system? I will probably live with the 3.1 set-up for 1-2 years.

Thank you for your help!

Ben
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 8 years 5 months ago
Hi, Ben

Welcome! Since you're planning to have the set-up for awhile, if you can swing it, what you're considering in upgrading to the Supersat 50c for the center channel makes a lot of sense. The center channel plays so much of the content in a HT system, especially dialog.

Either way, you'll be off to a great start. GEt speakers just do a great job blending in with each other for great sound!

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, WayneWilmeth, T Cobe, bak464s

Thanks Rick.

The guy at the dealer yesterday had me concerned that I shouldn't mix the SuperSat 3 with the 50c in a 3.1 configuration (That they should all match). That's why I went with the 2 - 3s and the 3c. I just got to thinking that if I got the 50C now, upgrading to a 5.1 down the road, would be a bit easier.

Thanks,
Ben
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395, T Cobe

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 8 years 5 months ago

bak464s wrote: Thanks Rick.

The guy at the dealer yesterday had me concerned that I shouldn't mix the SuperSat 3 with the 50c in a 3.1 configuration (That they should all match). That's why I went with the 2 - 3s and the 3c. I just got to thinking that if I got the 50C now, upgrading to a 5.1 down the road, would be a bit easier.

Thanks,
Ben

That's the beauty of GEt speakers... they ALL play together beautifully. There are no issues of tonal matching. (Mixing brand A and brand B speakers, with different tonalities, especially in front, could be a whole other ball game.)

And you can match/balance volume at your listening position by adjusting the gain for each speaker.

Good luck and happy listening!

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, WayneWilmeth, anthem, T Cobe, bak464s

• anthem's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 9175
anthem Posted 8 years 5 months ago
Hey bak464s:
The “timbre” of a speaker, that is, its sonic balance, is important for the “front three.” The left-front, center, and right-front speakers should all have the same sonic balance. This can be critical for voice reproduction; if an actor is talking off-screen to the left or right (with the voice coming from the appropriate speaker) and then walks on-screen with the voice coming from the center speaker, you really want it to sound like the same person. Ideally, the three should be the same speaker (your center channel speaker can be smaller if it has the same timbre and reproduces all the sound above 80 Hz with its bass directed to the left & right or properly placed subwoofer). As you add more speakers and/or sit farther away from the additional speakers, the timbre of these extra speakers becomes less important. If you are just using a different brand or model for rear, surround or effects speakers (and now Dolby Atmos ceiling speakers) timbre matching is nice; but far from necessary. The dispersion pattern of the auxiliary speakers is more important (omni-directional is often the best) than timbre matching.

All GET speakers have the same timbre, they don't have to be exactly the same speaker.Don't worry about what your dealer says, if your budget allows for the SS50C, go for it. As Rick says, they ALL play beautifully together.
D-Sonic m3a-600m Mono > McIntosh MC152 > Primaluna ProLogue Premium Preamp > Oppo UDP205 > Decware ZLC > Triton Reference > Isoacoustics Gaia 2 > Canare 4S11 Speaker Cables > Audience Forte 3, Anticable L3 & Shunyata Venom PC's

Every great performance deserves an Audience!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395, T Cobe, bak464s

Last edit: 8 years 5 months ago by bak464s. info_outline
Thanks for the detailed explanation. This makes a lot of sense.

I'm going to call tomorrow and change my order to the SuperSat 50c. it looks like the 50 will give me some more of the low-end as well.

Thanks again for all of the help. I'm sure this won't be my last question on here.

Ben
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, anthem, rjohn79395, T Cobe

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support SuperSat Series SuperSat 3 and SuperSat 50