file Trying to decide reference vs One.R

• Mobius's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 5
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
Mobius Posted 4 years 6 minutes ago
22lx17w room that opens into another larger room via a ten foot Wide opening. Using them for 2 channel listening. Will the reference make that big of a difference compared to the One.R and what type of difference will it make? I.e. just room pressure or imaging etc. plan is to power them with a cronus magnum iii by rogue

Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 3 years 11 months ago
Last edit: 3 years 11 months ago by rjohn79395. info_outline
Hi

Here's one person's perspective. I've owned the T1's and T Ref's as fronts, moved the T1's to surrounds when I got the Ref's. I haven't heard the 1.R's, which would close a lot of the gap between the 1's and Ref's, but not all. The Ref's still have larger bass drivers, radiators, amp, cabinet and mid/bass drivers than the 1/1.R's. So bass, maybe also mid bass punch is definitely better on the Ref's. The 1's and 1.R's have the same driver sizes, and the Ref's in my system definitely contribute bigger, deeper bass. The tweeters on the 1.R's and Ref's are now the same, and the 1.R's have other Ref upgrades also, so the 1.R's will have lots of the SQ refinements the Ref's have.

Either would have the capability to fill your room with sound, so I don't think that's an issue. Reviews of both have tended to say the Ref's seem to image some better, of course the bass, maybe sound a bit more 3D. Not all agree.

Can you listen to both at your dealer? That would be the best way to hear what pleases your tastes most.

Hope this helps.

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: anthem

• Mobius's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 5
Mobius Posted 3 years 11 months ago
Thanks for the reply, i am leaning towards the references. I listened to both may need to go back and do it again as i spent most of the time with the references, was just thinking for the roughly 3k price difference maybe i should get the one.r.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
rjohn79395 Posted 3 years 11 months ago
Last edit: 3 years 11 months ago by rjohn79395. info_outline
You are certainly focusing in on two great speakers.

If you get a chance to go back and listen some more, it may be worth it to bring some music that may highlight any differences in the Ref and 1.R capabilities, like stuff with great bass, lots of transients, and orchestral recordings that may challenge speaker imaging, instrument location, sense of depth etc.

Let us know what you hear, and decide, and how you like the new system!

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
48" SONY 4K OLED TV

• DragonLick's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 6
DragonLick Posted 3 years 8 months ago
Last edit: 3 years 8 months ago by DragonLick. Reason: Forgot something info_outline
I had the same dilemma but what it came down to was how much space I had. I wantec the Refs but didnt have room for them as well as them being a tad more speaker than I needed or could really get the most out of them so I opted for the one.r

As you can see they fit pretty closely

I still have no toe in as I dont even sit in the sweet spot but will get it set up better in time.
Golden Ear Triton One.r (pair), NAD M33 BluOS streaming amp, LG OLED55 TV, Bluejeans 10 AWG speaker cabling, Focal Utopia headphones, Hugo2 DAC/AMP, Mac Pro music file server, Alienware Area 51M R2 master server & calibration
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
rjohn79395 Posted 3 years 8 months ago
Last edit: 3 years 8 months ago by rjohn79395. info_outline
Sweet, DragonLick!

As you play with speaker set-up, if your room set up allows, it may be worth moving both speakers out a little bit from the back wall. It would give both speakers a little more"breathing room", especially the left, and let you toe them in towards the listening position.

Enjoy your 1.R's and Happy listening!

Rick
48" SONY 4K OLED TV

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support Triton Series Trying to decide reference vs One.R