heart Triton 1 Setup Help

• Jose R. Sifontes's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 13
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
Jose R. Sifontes Posted 8 years 7 months ago
Hi everyone...

I have done what I can to avoid posting this message by browsing through existing threads - but have given up after a few weeks of trial and error. If one or some of you could help me with this I would very much appreciate it. Here it goes.

I am using Dirac Live with a UMIK mic for room optimization (the equivalent of Audyssey in the Emotiva world). Initially I used speaker wire to the Tritons and a single subwoofer (my Rhythmik FV15HP) and all other speakers small set to 80hz crossover. The result in my large basement (24' x 27') was "meh". I then tried wiring the LFE from my Emo XMC-1 directly to the Tritons (configured "dual mono sub", y splitter on one sub out to the two subs in the Tritons, the other sub out going to the Rhythmik, Tritons set to large. This sounds ok, though the bass is not as clean as I would want it. I ran some sweeps using Room Eq Wizard (after running Dirac) to optimize the waterfall graph using the subs delay control, that evened things up a bit, but I am still not sensing "$5K speaker" sound. So these are my questions:
  1. Is there consensus that using the LFE inputs and setting speakers to large is best?
  2. If not, what crossover frequency is recommended if I set the Tritons to "small"? What is the as-designed x-over point between the Tritons and the built-in subs? Is it 100hz? less?
  3. I have the volume control on the Triton subs at the 1 o clock position.
  4. I have the Supercenter XXL and have set that up as small crossed over at 50Hz. No issues with the SCXXL but offer that as additional info in case it may be relelvant.

It may be that the best path is to get a second Rhythmik sub to get the bass more even - but thought I would ask for help here before spending any more money.

Thanks!
Thanks,

OBG
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395, T Cobe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• GDHAL's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 879
GDHAL Posted 8 years 7 months ago
Hello Jose and welcome to the forum. Good luck with your new Triton's. I can offer limited advice here as I use a two channel setup and haven't even tried the LFE input. As to the crossovers, GET has never made public the exact crossover frequencies, but everything I've read/heard on this forum and elsewhere - as well as my own ears - would lead me to conclude that 100HZ is not that far off and could be a very close approximation if not an exact number. As to the level setting, the 1 o'clock position may be a bit high, but again, depending on your room characteristics and other preferences that may suffice. I would try lower though (like 11) and work from there. Lastly, there is a document available from this site "Sandy's setup tips". I would have attached it for you but the PDF extension is not allowed to be uploaded. That document and the advice of some others on this forum who do use a multi-channel setup with T1s I'm sure will prove helpful.
Golden Ear Triton Reference (pair), Musical Fidelity M6si, Schiit Yggdrasil-OG-B, Oppo UDP-205, Emotiva ERC-3, LG OLED65C9PUA, Salamander Synergy Triple Unit SL20, Audeze LCD-X, GIK acoustic paneling
halr.x10.mx/TritonReference.htm ; halr.x10.mx/other.html

• imahawki's Avatar Offline
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    • Thank you received: 578
imahawki Posted 8 years 7 months ago
Last edit: 8 years 7 months ago by imahawki. info_outline
I have a Triton 1 based home theater so here are my thoughts.

1) In home theater setups I'm sure there are people running a variety of setups but I would argue based on numerous posts here and other forums that YES the consensus is to use both the speaker and LFE connections and to set the speakers to large in processor.

2) N/A based on my answer to #1

3) That seems VERY high and may be the source of your problem. I'd say 100% of the people I've seen post their settings are between 9 and 12 o'clock.

4) 50hz seems low, even for the SCXXL. 60 is pretty good. 80 will allow it to play louder. If you don't listen very loud, go with 60hz.

I think 90% of your problem is in the gain setting on the Triton 1s. Play a variety of music with natural bass in 2ch mode with all processing turned off (pure or direct mode, whatever your processor calls it) and just the speaker wires hooked up. Wherever you set it, leave it. Then hook the LFE cables back up and use the LFE trim and the gain on the subwoofer to get LFE channel set correctly.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, rjohn79395, T Cobe

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 8 years 7 months ago
Hi, Jose

Great questions.

Re the T1's internal crossover, you are correct that it is in the 100 HZ range. But I, like many others prefer to set the T1's as large, full range, and add a LFE input for .1 input. (Art may wish to add something here).

Mine are set at 12.

Re how clean the bass sounds. Can you try the T1's, alone, without external sub or room correction, and see how the bass sounds to you? My impression of T1 bass is that it is VERY clean, tight, musical. Maybe walk between the T1's and your current Rhythmik while they're playing and see if you like the way they blend?? If you like the T1 bass on it's own, maybe consider adding a GEt sub vs. another Rhythmik? GEt subs, right up through the SSXXL, blend in perfectly with GEt speakers.

Re crossover settings for a SCXXL center, I agree with imahawki that 50 HZ may be a bit low for headroom (I like between 60 and 80 HZ, since the T1's are superb at playing what comes crossed to them).. But unless the center is being stressed at very high sound levels, I don't think that is a factor in what you are hearing regarding bass not being as clean as you would want it. BOTH T1 and SCXXL bass are clean, and seamlessly blended together in my experience.

Just a thought, try T1's only, no DIRAC corrections, with something like a 12 bass setting, and see how you like the bass, just to check if it's room modes distorting the bass some, and get a reference point. If the T1' still sound "just OK", I'd suspect room modes, and try moving them some, further away from the back wall and/or the side walls. And then add the Rhythmik sub, and Dirac, and see what happens. T1's on their own do not produce just "OK" bass.

Good luck!

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, T Cobe

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
Moderator Posted 8 years 7 months ago
Last edit: 8 years 7 months ago by Moderator. info_outline
Welcome. Good advice from all. Best suggestion is to listen to the system without room correction to make sure that is not the villain. You may want to temporarily remove the outboard sub from the system too, to eliminate it as a possible source of system-trouble. Also, make sure you've been through every menu and turned off all the various dynamic controls. Make sure your setup of the speakers follows the standard GoldenEar speaker setup suggestions (too close together, or shoved into the corners, or no toe-in, or not at proper height) which can all lead to less-than-capable results. If you do run the room correction, turn the bass levels down to 12 o'clock before running it, then turn them up to taste if necessary. The Triton One is Stereophile's, Absolute Sound's, Soundstage Network's, High Res Audio's (to name a few) Loudspeaker of the Year ... it shouldn't/doesn't sound like a $5000/pr of loudspeakers, it sounds like a $50,000/pair. If yours don't, ask the dealer that sold them to you for help. We can only guess from here.

• Jose R. Sifontes's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 13
Jose R. Sifontes Posted 8 years 7 months ago
Excellent feedback - listening to Dark Side of the Moon now with a built-in sub gain set at 10 o clock and the speakers 2.5' from the back wall, no Dirac correction, toe-in set to converge just behind my head and speakers closer together - about "0.8 of X" - much better sound overall. Wish I had posted here earlier. I am going to re-do Dirac now with the changes and see how that helps. Will report back.
Thanks,

OBG

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support Triton Series Triton 1 Setup Help