file How far into the corner? (Triton 2)

• brad3626's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 5
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
brad3626 Posted 8 years 8 months ago
Hello,
I have a pair of Triton Two's and soon they are going to be moving from my very open living room to my 100% dedicated theater room... The problem is that the room is only 12 feet wide and I want as big of a screen as possible (it would be 12 feet wide if I had no speakers, so my question is - how far into the corner should I plan to be able to stuff my Twos without suffering from boominess or other quality loss?

Also, if I go with an "acoustically transparent screen" I can put the speakers pretty much anywhere, I imagine that someone can weigh in on opinions on the ideal placement from the walls (within the confines of a narrow room).

I would just wait and experiment when I get the room finished but projector screen size (and based on that then selection of the projector itself and placement in the room) will need to be determined soon, before the drywall goes on, in the next week or two.

Bonus question: would it be advisable to use "bass traps" in the corners?
Bonus question #2: should I get the XXL or the XL center to mate with the T2s?

Thank you in advance for sharing your suggestions, experience, and opinions.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe, lsu123

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• GDHAL's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 879
GDHAL Posted 8 years 8 months ago
Hey brad3626, some good news.... I have T1s and they are much closer to the wall (4 inches closets point from base -7 inches at furthest point from base) than would be recommended. However, and as you might find be reading other reviews, the Tritons are rather forgiving when it comes to placement. I have my bass control set at the 11:30 position - about - 1 db - subtle, nevertheless meaningful. Point is you can and will likely need to dial the bass down a bit. I would go close to the wall in your case as your options are rather limited anyway. As to your bonus questions, you state the room is dedicated to A/V so I would get bass traps only later if you feel they are necessary. As to a sub, no way. Point of the Tritons is to have the subs built in and they are more than capable in that regard. Happy New Year!
Golden Ear Triton Reference (pair), Musical Fidelity M6si, Schiit Yggdrasil-OG-B, Oppo UDP-205, Emotiva ERC-3, LG OLED65C9PUA, Salamander Synergy Triple Unit SL20, Audeze LCD-X, GIK acoustic paneling
halr.x10.mx/TritonReference.htm ; halr.x10.mx/other.html
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, rjohn79395, T Cobe, brad3626

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 8 years 8 months ago
Brad3626,

Congrats on the T2s and your up and coming home theater! Also, welcome to the forum. There certainly are a number of people here that can provide some first hand recommendations and GDHAL makes some great points. The Tritons really are flexible and will sound great regardless of placement but you will be rewarded with better sound if you have a little flexibility.

If you have the option of placing your T2s and a center channel behind an acoustically transparent screen, this would be the best solution. The AT screens with speakers behind them are the optimal configuration for home theater. How much space will you have behind your screen for speakers? If you have the room fo T2s, than that would also be my recommendation of your center channel. 3 identical towers upfront is the ideal solution but is often not an option based on room setup.

Regarding ideal placement, each room is different and results will vary. I have found that 36" away from my front and side walls sound best. Again, we're talking marginal improvements but I have the flexibility to shifts things around a bit as the front of my theater is 16 feet wide. Unfortunately, an AT screen was not an option for me since it is a perimeter wall.

Regarding acoustic treatments, I would be more worried about high frequency reflections than bass traps. As I understand bass traps, it becomes less important with multiple subs. You will already have at least two. GDHAL is correct, you won't "need" more than that but I have found that I really annoy an additional sub just behind my primary listening position. Many of our members are using dedicated subs or 4 powered tritons to provide 360 degrees of LFE. It really is a matter of personal preference and w have a lot of bass heads here. If you have carpeted floors and a fair amount of furniture, you should be off to a good start. Using some wall and window treatments will help with the sound reflections. There are also options for treating ceilings. GIK Acoustics offers free consultative services and has a large selection of reasonably priced solutions. www.gikacoustics.com

You on the right track here and are asking all the right questions to start out. I'm sure we'd love to hear more about your plans and see some pics as you progress through the installation process if you're willing to share. Your experiences can help others. In either case, good luck with the project. Feel free to ask the forum as many questions as you have. We try to keep this an open and positive place that is "safe" to ask questions without being antagonized.

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, WayneWilmeth, anthem, rjohn79395, brad3626

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 8 years 8 months ago
Hi Brad3626,
Welcome to the forum, great questions!
I have the T 2s around 18 inches from side walls and 2 ft from rear walls. Not perfect, but works OK for me.
They are around 11 ft apart and I sit 11 ft from them. My sound is awesome!!!!
I don't have bass traps but have the subs working on the side T 3s and a FF5 sub in the rear of the room. Never can have too much bass!!!
Either the SC XL or the XXL would be great for center, with the bigger being better usually, though I like T. Cobe's idea
to have one more T 2 in the center behind an AT screen IF you can.
Hope this helps,
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, rjohn79395, T Cobe, brad3626

• brad3626's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 5
brad3626 Posted 8 years 7 months ago
Thanks SO much for your help! (and sorry for my rude delay in response)

After a bunch of thought, I am going with an acoustically transparent (138" 2.35:1) screen ...this leaves 5" on either side of the screen to the walls, so all three front speakers will be behind the screen. The speakers will be close to the back wall, but they will have plenty of room to the sides.

The room just got drywalled (double layered with greenglue) and I have never heard an empty room sound so quiet!

I cannot wait for people to walk in impressed with the screen just to forget about it entirely when the speakers fire up ...and wonder where all that sound is coming from!

I will post a photo when I'm done.

My center channel situation is going to be painful... I got too good of a deal on my T2's: $1400 for the pair ( proof ) ...but finding another for a good deal seems impossible! ...and paying more for one than I did for two is not going to work at all.

Anybody know of anyone looking to sell just one Triton Two? ..or a T1 would still be matched, right?

Bah! cursed good deal!! ;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 8 years 7 months ago
Brad3626,

WOW, $1,300 for a pair of T2s!? That is an amazing deal,that probably won't be replicated. You may want to check with a few dealers to see if they're selling their floor models to make room for the T2+. I would even consider going with a new T2+, regardless of the price jump and consider yourself lucky for getting 3 Triton Twos for right around $3K. Either way, you're a winner!

Sounds like you're making some great progress. I'm sure several of us would like to see some pictures along the way to document your project. Have you decided on the rest of your gear? Are you listening to your T2s in another room during the renovation? Thanks for the update and please keep us posted. A lot of people pop in with questions and then disappear. It's great to hear back, so thank you!

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395, brad3626

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support Triton Series How far into the corner? (Triton 2)