file Triton 7 + SUB or Triton 3?

• Umer Hameed's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 52
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
Umer Hameed Posted 9 years 2 months ago
Hi Everyone.!! After your suggestions i have bought the Tritons Two.. And its the HUGE improvement in Stereo listening . I am listening stereo in Pure Direct mode of Yamaha.

But the setup for movies is really confusing. As i have no sub my current set up is my Front speakers Triton Two to LARGE and Centre SCXL to Small and Sat 3 to Small. And crossover to 60Hz. One LFE input to my right speaker. And Subwoofer is ON.

So what do you people recommend? Is the Crossover Right if not what should be the right crossover considering that i have only one crossover option and super sat 3 is in my setup? Should I use the One LFE or Both of the Tritons 2? Or should i Turn the Subwoofer off and Lower frequencies to Front only? Which Setting give me the maximum performance?. BTW thanks for helping me out on every problem. :)
Triton Two
Super Centre XL
Super Centre 3
Yamaha Rx V1900
Kimber 8 TC Speaker Cable
Oelbach Subwoofer Cable
Popcorn Hour V-ten
Logitech Harmony Ultimate Touch
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 9 years 2 months ago
Umer,

Congrats on the new speakers! I'm glad you are enjoying them. I have a few suggestions but ultimately, do what sounds best to you. Your room, set up, and listening preferences are unique. Ultimately, your happiness is most important.

I recommend setting your system up for no sub while playing stereo music and use the speaker level inputs to send bass to your sub. Set the gain dials to you preference. By using speaker level inputs for music, you can have less bass for music and then ramp up the bass for movies when using the LFE inputs.

I would get a splitter and run LFE cables to both LFE inputs on your T2s. Set your sub crossover in your receiver to 120 Hz. I believe that is the internal crossover frequency so setting it lower than that and you will miss some frequencies. I'd set the front speakers to large/full to start with and try different settings until you find what you like. 80 Hz is a good starting point for you SCXL and adjust until you find what sounds best to you.

I think the SSAT 3s should be set around 100 to 120 Hz, but again, play with it from there to see what you like best. You can always run your room correction software again now that you have your new speakers and adjust those settings a bit to see if you like the sound. I would definitely set your T2s according to GETs set up tips (large/full with a crossover at 120 Hz).

I hope this is helpful. Enjoy tuning your system. Happy listening!

Chees,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395

• ArthurDaniels's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 1811
ArthurDaniels Posted 9 years 2 months ago
Hello Umer,

You have a number of options for setting up your Yamaha, Triton Twos, and other surround speakers. I recommend that you study your Yamaha manual until you understand those options and how to implement them.

T. Cobe has recommended that you run your LFE cable from your Yamaha to both Triton Two LFE inputs. I agree and I recommend you accomplish this task before you do anything else. Since your Yamaha Receiver has only one subwoofer output, you will need to purchase the appropriate devices and cables with RCA male and female connectors to allow you to split the single LFE signal into two cables so that you can connect a cable to each of your Triton Two LFE inputs. If you have a local electronics store, they will probably have what you need. Check Best Buy's website - they may have the necessary adapters or cables. Or, check the Monoprice website. There are several different ways to split the LFE cables, depending upon your setup and how you want to run cables.

Once you have the Yamaha subwoofer output connected to both Triton Twos, then you can decide about whether or not to send analog audio bass signals to your Tritons (whether or not to turn the Subwoofer ON when listening to music in the Pure Direct mode).

If you really want to understand how implementing the different options affects analog audio and digital LFE, I recommend you go online and find a set of test frequencies that you can download so that you can create your own test CD (assuming you have a computer with CD-creation software and built-in CD/DVD drive). With such a test CD, you can listen to different frequency tones as you check out different setup options.

While you can follow my suggestions for setup, or follow the suggestions from other folks, you will find that we have different views regarding what is the best setup. For example, T. Cobe and I agree on some things, but disagree on others. Each of us will make recommendations based upon our equipment and listening preferences. I recommend that you study your Yamaha manual until you are comfortable that you understand your options, then run your own tests to determine which setup options result in the most pleasing sound for you - both for movie and for music.

I realize that what I am suggesting might seem to be a bit daunting, but there is really no other way for you to achieve the best sound for you. If you have trouble understanding some aspects of your setup options, try to find an "audio buddy" in your area to help you. I have acted as such an "audio buddy" for several folks in my area.

All of us on this GE forum are willing to help, but we cannot be as helpful as someone who can be physically present and look at your equipment to explain the options available to you and how to implement those options.

It is a learning journey - enjoy the experience.

Best,

Art
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395, T Cobe

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 9 years 2 months ago
Last edit: 9 years 2 months ago by rjohn79395. info_outline

Umer Hameed wrote: Hi Everyone.!! After your suggestions i have bought the Tritons Two.. And its the HUGE improvement in Stereo listening . I am listening stereo in Pure Direct mode of Yamaha.

But the setup for movies is really confusing. As i have no sub my current set up is my Front speakers Triton Two to LARGE and Centre SCXL to Small and Sat 3 to Small. And crossover to 60Hz. One LFE input to my right speaker. And Subwoofer is ON.

So what do you people recommend? Is the Crossover Right if not what should be the right crossover considering that i have only one crossover option and super sat 3 is in my setup? Should I use the One LFE or Both of the Tritons 2? Or should i Turn the Subwoofer off and Lower frequencies to Front only? Which Setting give me the maximum performance?. BTW thanks for helping me out on every problem. :)

Hi, Umer

I think you've gotten some great advice from T Cobe and Art.

One part of your question said "what should be the right crossover considering that I have only one crossover option and supersat 3 in my setup?" If I'm interpreting correctly that you can't set different crossovers for different channels, then to leave enough headroom for the supersat 3, a compromise of one crossover only would probably be best in the 100-120 HZ range. The SCXL would be happy in the 60-80HZ range, but depending on how much volume you want to play at, your current setting of 60 HZ, or even 80 HZ may be a bit too much for the supersat 3 (lower volumes, probably no problem). But it's what works for you, at the volumes you like to play at, that counts. In any case, all that bass below the crossover you use, will go to those great T2's, which will handle it beautifully Just ignore all that if my interpretation is wrong.

Running LFE to both Triton 2's through a splitter is a good idea.

Happy listening! You have a great set up going on.

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV

• ArthurDaniels's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 1811
ArthurDaniels Posted 9 years 2 months ago
Umer,

See Page 68 of your Yamaha manual. You have multiple crossover frequency options for all speaker set to SMALL. You also have multiple options for what the sub outputs (see Page 67 in your manual).

Best,

Art
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395, T Cobe

• Ravi's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 2
Ravi Posted 9 years 2 months ago
I am in the same boat deciding between triton 7 and triton 3 with sub for 5.1 setup. My question when I run calibration on my denon 4311 CI it sets the fronts as large and there is no out put from sub. I need to set the all speakers as small to get the LFE from sub. I tried LFE + Main (in some receivers its called double bass) it's too much of bass, and I dont like it. Any suggestions how to set up the triton 3 with sub in 5.1 set up.

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support Triton Series Triton 7 + SUB or Triton 3?