question-circle Triton 7 vs Triton 3

• GEDuck's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 11
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
GEDuck Posted 10 years 2 months ago
Which speaker would you guys recommend for a 500 sq foot room/8 foot ceiling? I do 70/30 Music/HT and usually listen at reasonable levels but enjoy turning it up for HT.

I'm running a Yamaha 110wpc receiver (I know not the best but it's all I have for now) and a def tech super cube sub.

I'm curious if the 7's will have trouble at higher levels vs the Triton 3's? Would the 3's be better for HT with the powered sub? Or would the 3's be too much for my size room.

Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Ken Cate's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 7
Ken Cate Posted 10 years 2 months ago
This is my first post on these forums...and I am by no means an expert after having just put my Triton 7s on order today....but I did spend a decent amount of time auditioning the various Triton series speakers in parallel just this afternoon. I have a smallish listening room...about 13x16 with sloped cathedral ceilings that go from 10ft down to 6 at the edges. Having listened to the 2s and 3s I can tell you they are impressive but too much for my room. Also, for the record, I'll be listening to music only. I have a separate HT setup in my living room that works just fine. All old school Athena speakers no one has even heard of any longer. :)

What am I saying? If you think your room is smallish and bass modes can be excited easily I would recommend the 7s and a sub for HT duties. Especially if music is your prime use. The 7s are almost spine tingling in their ability to retrieve vocal and musical detail. The sub supports the 2 and 3 in ways that make them dynamic powerhouses. But the subtle shadings in music...oh yeah...the 7s have that and so much more. I had the budget for the 3s, probably the 2s, and perhaps my room would have supported them. But it didn't take much side by side comparison to settle on the 7s. Not as dynamic...but so much more emotionally expressive.

One last addition to my long winded first post...from a sheer volume standpoint the 7s cannot keep up with their big brothers. If you want to rattle walls get the 3s. Or...you know....get a sub for those events. I'm overwhelmingly impressed by the entire GoldenEar line.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, GEDuck, Ryan Gadz

• GEDuck's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 11
GEDuck Posted 10 years 2 months ago
Thank you Ken for your response. I'm thinking the same thing you are but haven't heard the three's in person. I do love rocking bass for HT but the WAF prevented that SVS 12" sub I was looking at.

What you said makes a lot of sense.

What equipment will you run with the sevens? I'm getting a feeling that I might be better off putting that extra money into better electronics...

Please let us know your thoughts after you get a few days with the sevens!
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

• Visitor
  • Visitor
MOBrien Posted 10 years 2 months ago
Great first post Ken, good advice! Welcome to the GE family. Please keep us posed when you get your speakers!
GEDuck, What Ken did is the best advice I can give, go to your GE dealer and listen, listen, listen. Bring your own music and movies that you are familiar with. I went back several times over several days before I made a decision.

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 10 years 2 months ago
All great advice here guys, and the good news is, you cannot go wrong with any of these speakers!!!!
I have not heard the 7s, on my way home to hear them now, they have arrived, I have not.
But my standing advice is, never mind the size of the room much, rooms change, houses change, great speakers last for years!!!!!
Get the best speakers you can.
I love the Triton 2s and 3s. Will see now about the 7s.
The built in subs will integrate better than any external sub will, IMHO. So, if you like bass, go with the T3s.
I hope I can say more soon.
You will win with any of these speakers, good for you!!!!!
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.

• Ken Cate's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 7
Ken Cate Posted 10 years 2 months ago
I will run some Blue Jean speaker cable in a well treated room. Sourced from my Rega P7, Musical Surroundings Nova Phenomenon and trusty (tweaked) Onkyo A-9555. That amp is 8 years old but I haven't found anything yet to better it. At least until I can afford the McIntosh I want. ;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support Triton Series Triton 7 vs Triton 3