question-circle Triton 7 vs Triton 3

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
WayneWilmeth Posted 10 years 2 months ago
OK, sounds like we can have a Triton 3 party!!!!! I know Bro MOBrien and Bro Anthem would come, and I think Bro Santhosh would do, has anybody seen him lately??? Where did you go Bro Santhosh???
GEDuck, has any of this helped you?
You started this particular gabfest.
Are the brothers answering your questions? I can't quite get my head around one thing you said, a 500 sq ft room is small? Now math is not my strong suite, so I am open to being corrected here, I am assuming it is not 250' X 2', so more likely 25' X 20'??? That is not too small. I would go Triton 3s, but as MOBrien said, you should audition them all and make up your own mind. AND, if you can't have a sub in there, you will need the T3s for bass!!!! just sayin'
I hope to be able to do some listening to both the T3s and T 7s this week and compare them in two rooms, my living room and my home theater.
One pair is gonna be surround sounds and play second fiddle to the T2s and one pair will carry the heavy lifting in a BIG living room. Since the big living room has only a 45 wpc tube amp, I am thinking it will have to continue to be the T3s, unless all this magic everyone keeps talking about the T7s is just so awesome that I cannot bring myself to "waste" them as surrounds.
[Just dreaming/scheming here but IF I had the T3s in the surround positions in the home theater, the bass with the T2s and FF5 would be fantastic!!!]
We will see and report back.
GEDuck, please let us know what you decide and how it goes for you.
It is gonna be fun, enjoy.
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: anthem

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• wweiss's Avatar Offline
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
    • Thank you received: 130
wweiss Posted 10 years 2 months ago
Wayne I am waiting for your shoot out between the T3 vs T7's w/sub. Looking to put this second system in a medium size den. 50/50 music -movies. I also tried Aon 3's with sub but I think Aon 3's will be my rears.

I have Triton Two's w/12" Velodyne sub in a large bedroom set up so that is also my reference. Sounds similar to your set up.
So much music-so little time!
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 10 years 2 months ago
Last edit: 10 years 2 months ago by WayneWilmeth. Reason: forgot something info_outline
Hi wweiss,
Well, I only have a little over an hour with the Triton 7s setup reasonably well today, then I moved them into my home theater and they are getting a little burn in time, but I can't tell anything with them in there really.
To be fair, I need a good bit more time with them.
BUT..... Just first impression is WOWWWWWWWWWWWW
I am not positive, but I think they made me rearrange all my thinking, all my plans.
I will report back more soon as I can.
But I took my T3s out of my large living room and set up the T7s running on only 45 wpc tube amp and I was shocked!!!!!
The music was MUCH louder and more powerful and the bass DEEPER than I would have dreamed. And it is all coherent!!!!
Placement of the T3s was critical, the bass tended to bounce around in the room if it was turned up very much.
I plugged in the T7s, just to test them out before moving them to the home theater for surround speakers and just had to pick my jaw up off the floor. Without really getting them dialed in at all, without breaking them in at all, just outta the box still smelling of styrofoam, they just were sweet as could be.
And the bass was just right.
I put the T3s in the home theater as the surrounds now. Just wanted to try that option, as the T3s VERY likely laid claim to the living room system. VERY surprised.
For home theater I reckon you will need a sub. If you are a bass head like I am and you like your explosions, you will have to have a sub with them. BUT not for music. (I can't believe I am saying this).
I have the T7s in the back of the home theater for now, that is where I thought they would be, was gonna listen and get another pair. I want 7.1 surround (though the rear surrounds are not used nearly enough to justify this good a speaker there). I may now get Aon 3s for the rear surrounds.
I am pretty certain the T3s will stay in the home theater as surround speakers to support the T2s up front. And the T7s will fill the living room with glorious sweet songs.
I hope this helps, premature but I am pretty sure about this.
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, anthem

• anthem's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 9175
anthem Posted 10 years 2 months ago
Wayne: sounds like you're having a grand time. Your comments thus far on the Triton 7's model what Bro Santhosh has described. I'm almost tempted to get a pair myself just to see what all the hubbub is about. As time goes by, I'd like to hear your comments on the Triton 2's verses the Triton 7's...Happy listening!!
D-Sonic m3a-600m Mono > McIntosh MC152 > Primaluna ProLogue Premium Preamp > Oppo UDP205 > Decware ZLC > Triton Reference > Isoacoustics Gaia 2 > Canare 4S11 Speaker Cables > Audience Forte 3, Anticable L3 & Shunyata Venom PC's

Every great performance deserves an Audience!

• GEDuck's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 11
GEDuck Posted 10 years 2 months ago
Very enlightening Wayne! For my family room size, yes, it's a 400 sq foot room with a 100 sq foot kitchen right behind the listening area. 8 feet ceilings, sitting about 10 feet away from the TV/speakers. A 7 might be perfect for the room run with my def tech super cube sub.

I'm hopefully going to demo both the 3's and 7's in home and make a decision. Leaning toward the 7's and using the difference for a better stereo amp.

Anyone have suggestions on cross over settings on the 7's?

• wweiss's Avatar Offline
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
    • Thank you received: 130
wweiss Posted 10 years 2 months ago
Wayne thanks for the response. Can you be more specific-why do you prefer the T7's over the T3's for music only? Which is more dynamic?

I would love to hear your opinion on how the T7's with the Forcefield 5 sounds like for music only. I use my sub a lot for music - not only for movies.

We are depending on you because it sounds like you have almost all the GE toys at your disposal!

To complicate your plans further I talked to Sandy Gross a couple of days ago-that's right you can talk to the master himself!
He said many people in our boat are putting Triton 1's up front and splitting the signal and putting the Triton2's in the rear and running them full range. Come on you know you can afford it-all that hard work in the oil fields! We only live once.
So much music-so little time!

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support Triton Series Triton 7 vs Triton 3