file A/V Receiver Question

• GOBLUE80's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 3
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
GOBLUE80 Posted 11 years 7 months ago
I'm interested in updating my basement theater/listening room. I recently heard the Triton's and was blown away. I have small kids and am going back and forth about a floor standing speaker. The Aon 3 are intriguing to me, paired with a sub of course. Anyhow my question is: what are the general recommendations for an A/V receiver to power the Aon 3? I've been looking at the Denon AVR-1913 and Yamaha RX-V673, but am I way off base here? They're 125W per channel, low THD. I'm admittedly new to audiophile grade speakers, but I'd rather not spend $2000 on a receiver. If I'm looking at these $500-$600 receivers will I be unhappy with the results, or not hearing the full potential of the Aon? I can appreciate a great sounding speaker, but I certainly don't have a "Golden Ear" LOL. Maybe I couldn't tell the difference between an Aon powered by one of these receivers and a higher end one. They had the Triton's hooked up to a McIntosh amp at the store ($6000 amp), so of course it was best case. Any suggestions?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 11 years 7 months ago
GOBLUE80,
Did you decide yet which speaker you are going with, the Triton 2s or the Aons?
I would say both of them are so very good speakers they deserve the best signal you can send to them. I believe you have already decided on the source blu-ray player, so I would say now, get the best preamp and amp you can, or best receiver you can.
You mentioned about having small children. And that you were going back and forth on floor standing models. Just my 2 cents, but I would think the larger, heavier Tritons would be better with children then the Aons. The Aons will need to be on a decent speaker stand to put them at the right height, ear matching tweeter, height. Wouldn't they be more at risk of getting upended, knocked to the floor, than the floorstanders?
Whatever way you go, I am sure if you go with any of the GoldenEar Technology speakers, you will be well on the way to great sound.
All the best,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.

• GOBLUE80's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 3
GOBLUE80 Posted 11 years 7 months ago
Wayne,
I am honestly still undecided about Triton's vs. Aon's. That is a good point about the Aon's going on speaker stands. My intention was to place them on top of the TV stand (TV mounted on wall). I've been looking at very wide stands (about 70" wide by 24" tall), so stereo separation should be good and the tweeters would be at approximately ear level when seated.

So, I have two potential set ups that are around the same price:

1) Aon 3 bookshelf, Supersat 50C center channel, Supersat 3 surrounds, Forcefield 4 sub = $2700 US
2) Triton 3 towers, Supersat 50C, Supersat 3 = $3000 US

As far as receivers, I've now been looking at Pioneer Elite SC-61 and some Marantz, so pushing my receiver budget up to around $1000. I think I'd be happy with either of these set ups, but I'm not ready to bite the bullet just yet.

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 11 years 7 months ago
Yeah, that is a good one to figure out, and nobody said this hobby was a cheap one!!!!!!
However, you are on the right track with either of those speakers I am sure!!!!!
IF you were just talking about music, I would say the edge would go to the Triton 3s
But, looks like you are building this for surround sound movies too, or perhaps, only for that.
In which case, I think the nod would go to the Aons, because you can add the sub in that package. Which, IMHO is a must for movies.
Funny, you wrote and answered me again, WHILE I was writing this. I type slow!!!!!
I was gonna say, I like the Marantz, but looks like you are leaning toward the Pioneer Elite, and the Moderator (who gets to listen to the GE speakers a LOT more than I have and in LOTS of different configurations) seems to agree with you.
So, go for it, whichever way, spend that money, help the economy man!!!!!!
Ha ha
Seriously, you are looking in the right direction, I think you will really enjoy whichever way you go. Just take a bit of time and set it up the best you can (play with speaker positioning, etc.). This is meant to be fun.
Enjoy!!!!!!
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support Aon Series A/V Receiver Question