file Connect SuberSub

• MrTriton's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 6
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
MrTriton Posted 4 years 10 months ago
Last edit: 4 years 10 months ago by MrTriton. info_outline
Hi,

I currently own the Triton Refs and use them in a Stereo Setup with 2 PSA M700 Stellar Power amps and a DirectStream DAC.
I am considering to extend the system by adding a GoldenEar Super Sub Woofer.

I already connected the Tritons with Speaker cables. The stellars do not have an LFE Output.
The DAC has both XLR and RCA Outputs for both channels. So the only option I see is to use the RCA cable to connect to the Sub Woofer.
I am wondering what would be the recommended to connect the super sub in such a setup.

Thanks!
KR
Chris
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 4 years 10 months ago
Last edit: 4 years 10 months ago by rjohn79395. info_outline
Hi, Chris

Interesting question. The T Ref's each have the bass output capability of a SuperSub XXL. Are you looking for possible future expansion beyond 2.0, or adding more 2.0 bass? If for 2.0 bass, what bass settings are you using on the bass dials on your Ref's now? Mine are at 11ish and the bass is thunderous.

IF you want to run RCA to a separate sub from your DAC, I guess you would need to set the Ref's as Small, sub on, with a low crossover around 40 HZ or so to take as much advantage as you can of the Ref's potent bass and send the rest to the sub. Could you do that with your set up?

I guess I wonder, if you're looking to add bass to 2.0, if you have a bass suck-out issue at your listening position/room. First I've heard of wanting more bass than T Ref's can deliver, but whatever works for you!

I defer to whatever Moderator Dude has to say on this.

Happy listening! Hope you find what you're looking for.

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator

• ArthurDaniels's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 1811
ArthurDaniels Posted 4 years 10 months ago
Hi Chris,

Before you invest in another sub woofer:

1. You can connect your RCA Line Outs to your Triton Reference LFE inputs. Connect the Left RCA Out to the Left Reference LFE and the Right RCA Out to the Right Reference LFE . This connection sets up what is commonly referred to as "Double Bass". It is not recommended by Golden Ear as the most desirable sound option, but there is no harm in doing so. If you try this approach, you will immediately notice a major increase in bass output from the References. Before making this connection, turn the References' LFE control down to the 9:00 position or lower. This approach will add significantly more bass, but you may not like the "less natural" sound which results.

2. If you are looking for more bass at lower listening levels, then adding a separate sub may be the answer. You can drive the sub with the RCA Line Outs from your Stereo Amp, presuming that the sub has a good internal crossover. I use this approach in my stereo setup with my Triton Ones. I have a remote switch which allows me to turn my separate sub off when I am listening at normal volume levels at which my Ones provide adequate bass.

I have conducted numerous experiments with the setup options above. After extensive listening, I concluded that, at normal volume levels, my Triton Ones provided the best natural bass sound when connected with just speaker wires - no connections to the LFE terminals. Keep in mind that I am driving my Ones with a 2-channel stereo amp and I am not using them for home theater.

I am using a Paradigm sub to augment the bass at low volume levels and I am driving this sub with Record Out signals from my amp. But, I turn this sub off remotely when I am listening at normal room volume levels.

Hope these ideas help.

Happy Listening,

Art
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3416
Moderator Posted 4 years 10 months ago
If you're using the DirectStream dac as your preamp, and the dac's balanced outs to your Stellar amps, then the dac's RCA outs can be tried on the SuperSub. You can then carefully adjust the sub's crossover and level to flesh out the very bottom end.

• MrTriton's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 6
MrTriton Posted 4 years 9 months ago
Hi,

@rJohn
you are right. I am also at About 1030-11 bass setting. Depends also on the genre. For classic, I can go higher, for hip hop much lower as I have them Standing relativly close to the wall.

I am trying to achieve 2 things:

1. I want to have the possibility to enhance the 2.0 bass if needed.
2. I have a complete different set of loudspeakers, amp etc. for my 5.1 system. For this, I would like to have the option to also connect the sub via LFE.

The second option would not be an issue. Only question would be whether it would be good to always disconnect one of the cables to the sub although 1 source is always powered off.

@Arthur: I think the first of your options would not be my preference. I prefer the second one. Having a remote control to turn the bass on and off is a good approach. Thanks.

@Moderator: Ok. will try.

KR
Chris

• ArthurDaniels's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 1811
ArthurDaniels Posted 4 years 9 months ago

MrTriton wrote: Hi,

@rJohn
you are right. I am also at About 1030-11 bass setting. Depends also on the genre. For classic, I can go higher, for hip hop much lower as I have them Standing relativly close to the wall.

I am trying to achieve 2 things:

1. I want to have the possibility to enhance the 2.0 bass if needed.
2. I have a complete different set of loudspeakers, amp etc. for my 5.1 system. For this, I would like to have the option to also connect the sub via LFE.

The second option would not be an issue. Only question would be whether it would be good to always disconnect one of the cables to the sub although 1 source is always powered off.

Chris,

You could use your Triton Refs LFE sections to provide bass for your 5.1 setup, so long as you do not have signals present to your Refs from both your 2-channel and your 5 channel systems at the same time.

I have a separate 2.1 system for my video/TV/movie watching, including a separate AV Receiver, separate L/R Front Speakers and a separate sub. My room configuration is not conducive to a 4-channel or 5-channel video setup. If I did not have a separate sub available, I would consider the possibility of using my Triton Ones' LFE sections for video bass.

However, the problem might be finding an acceptable setting for the Triton''s LFE controls. My experience leads me to believe that music bass and movie bass settings might be significantly different. You might find that using your separate sub for both music bass enhancement and video bass to be a better choice. You can find RCA-type adapter cables online (try Monoprice website), which will allow you to connect both your 2.0 and 5.1 systems to your separate sub's LFE inputs. You need two adapter cables, each one has an RCA Male on one end and two RCA Females on the other end.

Best,

Art

@Arthur: I think the first of your options would not be my preference. I prefer the second one. Having a remote control to turn the bass on and off is a good approach. Thanks.

@Moderator: Ok. will try.

KR
Chris

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support SuperSub Series Connect SuberSub