file SuperSub X - First Thoughts

• thinkthis's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 37
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
thinkthis Posted 7 years 5 months ago
Last edit: 7 years 5 months ago by thinkthis. info_outline
I just received my SuperSub X about a week ago and I figured I had to be one of the first to get one so I thought I would share my thoughts. The unit replaced my ForceField 5, which I loved, but I wanted something with a bit tighter base that would introduce less architectural shake into my room (I probably could have also gotten some dampening feet to help, but I'm a sucker for new and shiny). I was excited when I saw the SuperSub series, but the XXL was out of my price range and a fair amount of overkill for my setup. When the X was announced I knew I was getting one. I preordered almost 9 months ago and was sad by the delays but then it finally shipped last week!!

Look and Feel

In person the sub looks amazing. I know Goldenear prizes sound quality above all else (which is why I love them), but the SuperSub has a fantastic design that feels so much more solid and looks even better in person than it does in the photos. No offense to whoever designed the forcefield but this is leagues above that sub in terms of visuals and overall feel. Maybe you just pumped up the materials budget, but I was always somewhat gentle with the ForceField because I was worried about damaging it (or my kids or dog damaging it). The SuperSub is an absolute tank that feels like it is surrounded by a shiny, black armor. I'm glad the fabric is gone because, being on the floor, I just have so much more peace of mind about my young kids and dogs running around our TV room. My wife is also a huge fan of the new design, which just so happens to match the glossy piano black of our SuperCinema Array XL.

A+ for design and feel!

The Space

In between preordering the sub and receiving it we actually moved to a new home. The total volume of my home theater area more than tripled in size, in part due to ceilings that are around 12 feet high (instead of 8 feet). I was worried that the tiny SuperSub X would be unable to handle the increased cubic feet of space. Basically I went from a small home theater space (10x10x8) to a moderately sized space (roughly 16x15x12), which is connected to a kitchen area that adds even more air for the sound energy to dissipate into.

How did the little guy do?

Sound Quality:

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was blown away. I set the sub to medium and sampled a few films (Inception, Kung Fu Panda 3) and some TV (SciFi's The Expanse on Blue Ray). The SuperSub ate this media up for lunch and filled the room with deep, clean bass with ease. Honestly, I'm scared to think of how the XXL must sound, cause this little guy is a beast. Even the deep BWAM BWAM of the Inception soundtrack was blasted with ease. It felt noticeably crisper and more controlled than what I experienced with the ForceField, a fact my non-audiophile wife noted as well. Apart from some vibration in the flooring (which you can feel through your feet all the way over in the kitchen), it feels like more of the energy of the sub is going into the deep bass notes and less of it is being wasted into rattling my furniture or moving the sub across the room. Touching the sub while it is producing this deep bass is eerie, because it feels like the sub is off. You feel almost no vibration in the sub's structure at all. I know they did the "nickel standing on its edge" trick at the trade shows, but seeing the dual opposing woofer design in person is still amazing.

Sound Quality A+

Conclusion

This is the most expensive subwoofer I've ever purchased so I can't compare it to subs that cost many times more (or even the XXL). That being said, I can't imagine the average person who is willing to spend roughly $1k+ on a sub would ever want more than what this sub can offer. The absence of wasted kinetic energy and the room filling, deep, clean bass is satisfying and a joy to listen too. The fact that it manages this while being so small is truly an engineering marvel. I'm glad they delayed the release of the sub to make sure they got it right. I imagine fitting this much bass in such a small package was much more difficult than designing the XXL.

Zero regrets. Very satisfied customer.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, rjohn79395, 2AnalogEars, T Cobe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 7 years 5 months ago
thinkthis,

Great review! Thanks for sharing your thoughts. The reviews here on the forum of the SuperSub series subwoofers has been minimal. It's great to have such a well thought out and crafted review.

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395, thinkthis

Thanks! I always love reading every review I can find before I buy a new product so I try to add my thoughts if I can't find much before pulling the trigger. Since there are very few SuperSub X reviews out there I thought I would share my thoughts even though I'm not a professional audiophile or anything.

Also I realized just now this is the support forum so if a moderator wants to move it to the review section that's cool.

Thinkthis
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395, T Cobe

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3416
Moderator Posted 7 years 5 months ago

thinkthis wrote: Also I realized just now this is the support forum so if a moderator wants to move it to the review section that's cool.

Normally, yes, but I like this one here. :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: T Cobe, thinkthis

Moderator wrote:

thinkthis wrote: Also I realized just now this is the support forum so if a moderator wants to move it to the review section that's cool.

Normally, yes, but I like this one here. :)

No problem.

Thanks again for producing such an awesome sub. I just finished setting up a projector and 110 inch screen to go with my 5.1.2 Goldenear system and my wife informs me that I'm not allowed to go to the movies anymore since it would be a waste of money given what we have installed in our home.

I think she might be right.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395, T Cobe

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 7 years 5 months ago
Last edit: 7 years 5 months ago by rjohn79395. info_outline
Great review, thinkthis!

Well thought out, described so perfectly. I haven't heard the SSXL. I did audition the SSXXL... sounds like the XL is in the same sonic ballpark. Uncanny clarity and musicality for bass, deep and otherwise.

I agree with your wife also! I can't hear better SQ in theaters than GEt HT systems can provide at home. In fact, not even close. Bass, soundfield coverage, whatever you expect.. better at home.

Enjoy your system and the at-home movies!

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: T Cobe, thinkthis

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support SuperSub Series SuperSub X - First Thoughts