file SuperSub XXL in Cabinet

• Toney's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 3
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
Toney Posted 7 years 11 months ago
I've got one of these in a cabinet. It is the only place I can put it. The cabinets are built-in with grill cloth on door for sub.

The problem is vibration. The whole cabinet vibrates with bass. I knew there would be some, but it is extreme.

What steps would you recommend to minimize the vibrations? I'm considering these...

1. Cut bottom out of subwoofer cabinet and place sub on floor inside cabinet. (Not sure what this would gain, since the sub itself has " vibration cancelling properties"

2. Line inside of cabinet with some sort of vibration dampening...not exactly sure what would be best, but thought about typical car audio vibration dampening materials

3. Try adding some extra bracing to inside of cabinet

4. Try adding some sort of slot or grill in top of cabinet, if you think the large grill cloth opening in front wouldn't be enough.
The following user(s) said Thank You: T Cobe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
Moderator Posted 7 years 11 months ago
Imagine what a normal (vibrating) sub would do!

The sub itself does not vibrate, put your hand on it while it's playing and you feel nothing, vibration is NOT the problem. The problem is that a HUGE amount of air is being generated and it has no place to go (your cabinet is acting like a balloon being inflated with every bass WOMP). You have a caged monster. You can try eliminating the cabinet bottom and the cabinet back to allow more air out. (Removing the cabinet bottom - always recommended in these installations - has the added benefit of allowing the generated energy from the bottom radiator to not push against a cabinet surface.)

Your other ideas, 2-4, will do nothing positive.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395, T Cobe, Toney

• Toney's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 3
Toney Posted 7 years 11 months ago
Thank you for the quick reply!

The cabinet is built-in against a wall, so I cannot cut out the back. I should be able to cutout the bottom and place it on the floor. Also am thinking the quality of cabinet construction (or lack there of) may be adding to the vibrations.

I thought the same thing about the air pressure, but I removed the front door completely. The size of the cabinet is roughly 22" W x 32" H x 20" D. A 22" W x 32" H opening seems like it would allow a lot of air to escape without "inflating" the cabinet.

Would orientation inside the cabinet make any difference?

I am also starting to think about other options, in case we can't get rid of cabinet vibrations. Would there be any feasible way of installing the subwoofer in an enclosure in the crawl space underneath and "vent" it into the room somehow?
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395, T Cobe

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
Moderator Posted 7 years 11 months ago
Last edit: 7 years 11 months ago by Moderator. info_outline
Sorry for the delay, wanted to ask a few dealers/installers for their thoughts. General response was, "good luck". :(

Beyond that, everyone agreed that removing the cabinet bottom and setting the sub on the floor was an absolute first step necessity. Everyone also agreed you cannot hold the bass energy of this magnitude in an enclosure of that size, with or without door. A 20 Hz bass wave, for example, is 64 feet long, it will not be contained in a 22x32x20 space. The sub must be feet down, of course, and rotating on that axis will have no effect. The only thing that will absolutely help is to turn it down a bit (have you set a reasonable level during setup?) or get it out of the cabinet.

Can't really help you on the venting idea, a vent is just a port and needs to be part of an entire equation in design of a subwoofer.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395, T Cobe

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support SuperSub Series SuperSub XXL in Cabinet