• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
T Cobe Posted 8 years 9 months ago
Last edit: 8 years 9 months ago by T Cobe. info_outline
Word,

The only thing I can add to Wayne's sound advice is my experience setting up my SCXL. I have found that it sounds best in my setup about 24" from the front wall. I've further isolated it with some Vibrapods and am happy with the results. IMHO, it's like the Triton towers and it benefits from proper placement. This doesn't mean the SCXXL wouldn't still sound good in an enclosure, but you would likely be robbing yourself of a significant amount of performance. Would it be possible to wall mount the TV and set the speaker on top of the shelf?

If that's the only solution that would pass the WAF, then I would give it a try. It's probably more important to keep the peace at home. I wonder if the SuperSat60C may not be a better solution. Would you local retailer be willing to allow you to take a model home to test out first? That may be your best bet. Please let us know how things go. Happy hunting!

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
Moderator Posted 8 years 9 months ago
The top radiators output will depend on crossover frequency. Although we suggest a couple inches will do the trick, less is fine as long as a higher crossover is set (say 80Hz, rather than 60Hz or even 40Hz as some have done). Make sure to pull the speaker out to the very front edge of the shelf, and aimed at ear level, and it should sound great.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395, T Cobe

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 8 years 9 months ago
Last edit: 8 years 9 months ago by rjohn79395. info_outline

anthem wrote: I've been thinking for the past few days, weeks, well actually for the entire year, what should I get myself for Christmas. Last year is was the Decware Torii, the year prior an Oppo 105. I definitely want another Anti-Cable Reference 3 powercord, that's a must have. I really don't need any more amps (have 7) I don't need cd/blu- ray players, and I don't need this and I don't need that. What has flustered me all these years is the Center Channel in my HT setup. As you kmow I have many Center Channel speakers ranging in price from $100-$3,200 (still own them) Each of them has flaws in certain areas. The GE SS60C has a problem with the female voice (sibilance) but pretty much nails male voices. I really want a Center that gets the voicing right, both male and female.

Rick, this is where you come in (or anyone else with extensive play time). Now that you have had the SC XXL for awhile, how do male/female voices sound? Are there any particular actor's or actresses that don't sound as they should? What about the sound at high volumes? Any harshness, excessive sibilance? These are just a few of the questions I have about the SCXXL. If the SCXXL can get the voicing right, this speaker might be what I'm looking for.

This review from Robert Kozel (Secrets of Home Theater &High Fidelity) is what prompted my interest. I particularly like these 4 paragraphs.

As we all know, the center channel speaker is crucial in helping to recreate the theater experience. So much of the critical dialog in movies comes from the center channel, that the viewing and listening experience hinges on how well we can hear that dialog in the movie. A great example of this is “The Grand Budapest Hotel” which tells the story of a famous hotel and the friendship between its concierge and Zero, the lobby boy. I loved the dialog between F. Murray Abraham and Jude Law in the dining room at the hotel. The SuperCenter XXL reproduced the actors’ dialog with exceptional clarity and easily revealed nuances and emotions in their voices. Instead of just watching the dialog from my sofa, the SuperCenter XXL put me at the table in their conversation. The echo of the cork popping from their champagne bottle reverberated through my listening room as the SuperCenter XXL blended beautifully with the Triton One Towers creating the illusion of being in the cavernous dining hall with them.

Music is also very central to the story of “The Grand Budapest Hotel” and the experience starts right from the music playing on the Blu-ray title menu. I had to stop and think about the last time I even made note of the music on a title menu, and in this case it was so striking that I had to hesitate before playing the movie just to enjoy the experience. The SuperCenter XXL created a totally seamless soundstage across the entire front of my listening room. The music was gorgeous with intricately layered vocal harmonies and the bass vocals sounded especially rich. The music throughout the film sounded no less impressive and the SuperCenter XXL brought the gorgeous balalaika music to life with exquisite bass and vibrant strings that played harmoniously with the Triton Ones.

The biggest takeaway for me with the SuperCenter XXL was its ability to produce sound with such clarity that I forgot that I was listening to a speaker. While I have traditionally listened to my favorite shows like “The Big Bang Theory” in stereo, I found that listening in Dolby Surround with the SuperCenter XXL brought me closer to the characters than ever before since the dialog was focused so clearly in the center of the listening space.

If my initial impressions are any indication, GoldenEar Technology has yet another winner on their hands. The SuperCenter XXL is easily one of the best center channel speakers available today.

Hey, Anthem

Just to keep you thinking about your upcoming arrival of the SCXXL... I"ve been listening over the last several days, to the Blu-ray DVD of Claudio Abbado conducting the Lucerne Festival Orchestra playing Mahler's 3rd symphony (thanks, Wayne, again, and based on your latest review, I also just ordered the Anniversary edition of Dr Zhivago).

You had asked about how the SCXXL played the female voice... well, I've just been listening to Anna Larson (contralto) sing, with transitions to double bass, full choir, wind instruments, etc. You asked about sibilance . Heck no!! Just goosebumps, shivers. What a voice! What amazing transients between this GORGEOUS voice, the Arnold Schoenberg choir, and deep, rich double bass! How do speakers do that???

With all the fantastic components/cables/interconnects at your disposal, I have no doubt you'll have the SCXXL just SINGING!

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, WayneWilmeth, anthem, T Cobe

• anthem's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 9175
anthem Posted 8 years 9 months ago
Hey guys

Just a note. The SCXXL was ordered yesterday, and will be drop shiped. Funny thing though...I've been ordering from Custom Electronics of Omaha Nebraska for several years now. After I placed my order, I received an email stating that a GEt dealer had set up shop in the state of Kansas. I did some checking and turns out it's the same dealer I've used for over 10 years...Advance Audio in Wichita. I was there two years ago and asked the owner if there were any plans on the GEt line being a part of his future speaker lineup. He told me no, there were to many manufacturers to consider. Well time moves on and it appears he has wised up, I just wish I had known about this earlier, I would have loved to audition them.

Anyway...the SCXXL should arrive by Christmas, I'm crossing my fingers. I have a feeling it's gonna be A Great CHRISTMAS!
D-Sonic m3a-600m Mono > McIntosh MC152 > Primaluna ProLogue Premium Preamp > Oppo UDP205 > Decware ZLC > Triton Reference > Isoacoustics Gaia 2 > Canare 4S11 Speaker Cables > Audience Forte 3, Anticable L3 & Shunyata Venom PC's

Every great performance deserves an Audience!
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395, T Cobe

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 8 years 9 months ago
Last edit: 8 years 9 months ago by T Cobe. info_outline
Congrats on placing the order, Anthem! Hopefully the SCXXL arrives by Christmas. I look forward to your report and hope this center channel finally hits the mark. The Triton Two + the SCXXL should be a great combination. ;)

Hopefully you can write up your findings along with the Anti-Cable impressions. Merry Christmas!

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, anthem, rjohn79395

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 8 years 9 months ago
Hi, Anthem

Congratulations on getting a SCXXL added to what Santa will be dropping off!!

We'll be waiting to hear how you like your presents!

Merry Christmas!

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, anthem, T Cobe

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support SuperCenter Series Super Center XXL is near