file Crossover Frequency For Center And Surrounds

• cboren's Avatar school
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
cboren Posted 12 years 6 months ago
Hello

I have a specific question about the crossover frequency for the center and surrounds? First off, I shoud point out that after having them for over a year, these speakers have improved the sound quality in the house to a point that I would never have hoped for, at least in my environment. You will see why below.

Equipment and environment:
Onkyo 607
Triton2's
3 50C's (2 horizontal for surrounds)
Tri-Level house where the living room ,where the sound exists, is open to the dining room, Kitchen, and everything else. Also, a half cathedral ceiling in the room. Horrible environment isn't it? Not my question.

I have found that the overall sound is better with the center and surrounds crossed at 150Hz. Not louder bass, just better incorporation with the rest of the music. I am currently using the Sub Out for these sounds, not speaker wire only. Yes I know that it is easier that way and I will switch when I have learned enough about what the speakers and room like best. I am curious if this high frequency may cause problems such as cascading crossovers in the bass section in my current configuration. Or possibly having extra output from the mid's in the Tritons when I finally change to speaker leads only. I have not been able to find the slope that my Onkyo uses. I suppose that I will call them. I do realize that even with a 12db slope at around 250Hz the sound would be somewhere around half or less. I would love to hear your thoughts, or the thoughts of anyone else.

Hope I did not give too much info.

Thanks in advance. I have seen many great responses on this site that answered most questions I already had.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
Moderator Posted 12 years 6 months ago
Glad to hear you're happy with your system - sounds like you've done a good job with setup. A 150Hz crossover is certainly fine, we typically recommend 120 Hz for a TritonCinema Two system with the 50C center. The higher setting may give you a bit more dynamics and a slightly higher playing ceiling, but no problems.

Use of speaker leads AND sub cables is not a problem and often allows for more adjustment flexibility on some receivers/processors. There are no issues to be concerned about - especially if you are happy with the system's performance.

Hope this helps, enjoy your system!

• cboren's Avatar school
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
cboren Posted 12 years 6 months ago
Thanks for the response. It eases my mind.

Hopefully this board will become more active. I have had questions answered here before I had thought of the questions.

Thanks again.

• gjlowe's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 2
gjlowe Posted 10 years 11 months ago
Last edit: 10 years 11 months ago by Moderator. Reason: typo correction info_outline
I have a similar setup -

Triton 2 L/R
60C center
Sat50 - surrounds
Sat 3 - rear surrounds

Audyssey set the center crossover to 70Hz, surrounds to 90Hz, and surround rears to 120Hz. You recommend 120Hz for all non-Triton speakers in this setup though?

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
Moderator Posted 10 years 11 months ago
Hi gjlowe -

Audyssey set the center crossover to 70Hz, surrounds to 90Hz, and surround rears to 120Hz. You recommend 120Hz for all non-Triton speakers in this setup though?

We do, although 100 is fine and so is 150, depending on setup, room size and listening preferences. But 70Hz is absolutely too low for the center if you want decent dynamics (maybe OK if you always listen at levels below 90dB). I use 120Hz on my 60C at home and it sounds great, Triton Two's create a phantom center channel for frequencies below that and the system rocks while maintaining great dialog intelligibility even at the loudest levels.

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support Triton Series TritonCinema Crossover Frequency For Center And Surrounds