file Can I really benefit from a separate amp?

• JimmyTulip's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 0
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
JimmyTulip Posted 11 years 4 months ago
I have the original TritonCinema with Triton 2 Towers, 50c, and two SS3.

I listen to movies at high levels. I also less frequently listen to music and also like it loud at times. I am powering the system with a Denon AVR-2808ci receiver. I am debating whether to upgrade my system and get a separate 5 channel amp. Specifically I am looking at the Emotiva XPA-5.

What I want to know is will there be an easily discernible difference? I don't want to spend the money on a huge box sitting on the floor when my current integrated receiver gets the job done. But I also would like more clarity at high volume if possible. Every once in a while I have heard what I would consider distortion, but only during heavy action sequences. I also don't want to miss out on a sound that many believe is only attainable through a separate amp.

I welcome moderator input, and especially recent Emotiva converts! Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
Moderator Posted 11 years 4 months ago
Can't speak to that amp specifically (I'll let other members make recommendations), but generally big honkin' (that's a technical term) power amps will outperform the amp section in your "average" receiver. A couple caveats though: 1) Receiver amps have gotten a lot better in the last couple years thanks to advances in digital amp technology, and 2) The TritonCinema is very easy to drive because the built in bass amps do most of the work.

Also, remember that a slight increase in level requires double the power. So, if louder is your goal, you should go for 3-4x your current amp's power rating.

3-4 times my current power would be 350-400 watts. The speakers are only recommended to 200 watts. So according to your logic (which is what I was after) it wouldn't really make sense to upgrade. After reading so many posts about people getting better results when going separate I was led to believe the quality of power would lend to a clearer top end.

Keep the opinions coming!

Thanks

• anthem's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 9175
anthem Posted 11 years 4 months ago
1) Emotiva.com
2) Click Community
3) Scroll down to Amplifiers (discussion of Emotiva Amplifiers
4) Jump to page 5
5) Go to (Switch to xpa-5?)

There are a lot of different views on the subject.

I personally hear a difference. I've been running separates for close to 10 years.

In the long run it's YOUR ears that need to be satisfied.

If you don't take the plunge, you'll never know. :)

The xpr-5 (400 watts) on sale til 5/3...$1799.00.
D-Sonic m3a-600m Mono > McIntosh MC152 > Primaluna ProLogue Premium Preamp > Oppo UDP205 > Decware ZLC > Triton Reference > Isoacoustics Gaia 2 > Canare 4S11 Speaker Cables > Audience Forte 3, Anticable L3 & Shunyata Venom PC's

Every great performance deserves an Audience!

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
Moderator Posted 11 years 4 months ago
Ah... note I said if you want it LOUDER, nothing about whether it would sound better. As I said in the first part of my reply, a separate power amp will typical outperform your average receiver's amp section ... by outperform I meant SOUND BETTER. :-)

Also, as another caveat, you can't usually compare your 120 watt receiver's power rating to the power rating of a meaty 120 watt per channel power amp either. In my experience a "typical" 100-120 watt/channel receiver actually puts out about 50 watts per channel when measured under the same criteria as a big power amp. So a 150-200 watt/channel power amp IS actually the 3-4 times the power of that typical receiver's amp section.

True. Good clarification. Thanks again.

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support Triton Series TritonCinema Can I really benefit from a separate amp?