file Amp advice-

• nealsal's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 2
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
nealsal Posted 12 years 4 weeks ago
Looking for some sage advice- I currently power my Triton 2s with a 90's Krell KSA 300s in a home theater that sees maybe 2000 hours/year of use (lots of TV/movie, music when I can shoo the Mrs. out of the HT room.) Sounds wonderful! But I am intrigued about powering them with tubes- the ARC VS115 in particular (plenty of watts, balanced, and 12V control match my needs to a tee). So, WWSD? Does the heat/glow/hours say leave as is? Or is there magic in them thar hills?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
Moderator Posted 12 years 4 weeks ago
WWSD? That's great - I'll pass it on. :laugh:

Sandy uses a low power SET tube amplifier at home, but we use ARC tube gear up front and Pass Labs amps for our Triton Two demonstrations at trade shows.

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 12 years 1 week ago
I am also wondering about tubes with the Triton 2's. Can you tell us what SET amp (and how many watts per) Sandy is using to run his? Is he able to pressurize a medium sized room with tubes? Or at least what tubes and how many watts?

I noticed that you did not recommend lower power tube amps with the Aons. If I understood correctly, that was because they run "full range" as opposed to the powered sub of the Tritons. What would the minimum realistic power for Aon 2 or 3s be in a medium sized room to play loud enough for Rock and Roll?

Thanks for any and all advise.
Best regards, keep up the great work,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.

Moderator Posted 12 years 1 week ago
Not sure of the models but Sandy has used both an 8 watt and a 16 watt SET amps. They both sounded spectacular - the 16 watter he uses now does a surprisingly good job of filling a decent size room with sound. He also uses larger power tube and solid state amps, including the Pass Labs amps we use every year for trade show demos of the Triton Twos and he will admit the improved dynamics are noteworthy.

That is correct regarding powering the Aons - we used the new Peachtree Decco 65 (65 watts) on the Aon 2s at our most recent trade show and that amount of power got them going pretty darn loud in a medium size room... including playing some good rock and roll :) .

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 12 years 1 week ago
Thanks so much for the good and timely reply.

Would the same be said for the Triton 3s concerning tube amps as for the 2s? Or would they take a few more watts to fill a normal sized room?

Thanks, Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.

Moderator Posted 12 years 4 days ago
Yes, same. Designed for smaller rooms, so in a smaller room the recommendations would be equivalent. In a larger room more power would be better.

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back