file Amplification Recommendations

• gumpracer's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 0
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
gumpracer Posted 12 years 2 months ago
I'm about the pull the trigger on the Triton Two + 50C. I'm going to repurpose my Definitive Technology BP7006 mains to the rear for the time being (I'll have a powered sub in every corner).

My question is regarding a receiver/amp pairing, as I've been unable to find a dealer with both Tritons, and the specific equipment available for demo.

I'm currently thinking of purchasing:

Marantz AV7005 + MM7055
Marantz SR7005/7
Denon 4311
Arcam AVR360

I'm looking to spend in the $2k range for the amp/receiver. I've always enjoyed "warmer" sound, if that helps.

I've always had and enjoyed Denon equipment, so that's why I included the 4311. Plus, my father has a Vandersteen setup connected to a Denon receiver that I find very pleasing.

I've never heard the Arcam, but the reviews are extremely favorable. I'm a music first guy, so that's why Arcam makes the list. Does it have quite enough power (rated at 75 watts w/ five channels driven)?

I'm undecided as to whether spending the extra $$$ on the Marantz separates will yield sufficient results as to justify the extra expense. I don't know how sensitive the Tritons are to amplification. Does anyone think the separates will sound $1,000 better?

I've read most of the other receiver questions on the forum. Am I missing one that's a "must hear"?

Thanks,
Jordan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
Moderator Posted 12 years 2 months ago
All good choices - the Tritons are much more about quality than quantity when it comes to power. We used an Arcam receiver at our last trade show demo and it sounded superb (received two "best sound" awards from The Absolute Sound for our show demo that used the Arcam). Many Triton owners use Marantz equipment happily, can't speak for the Denon (no personal experience). Other brands of receivers we hear a lot about are Anthem and Integra.

Perhaps some other forum participants will offer some advice, but I don't think you can go wrong with any of those receivers.

Thanks for responding so quickly! I read a post of yours elsewhere on the forum where you touted the room correction of the Anthem as basically the only one worth getting. I have a less than optimal room. It's roughly 10x15, a little boomy. Do you believe ARC is so good as to consider that a top feature over say a unit with MultiEQXT?

Have you heard the Anthem unit yourself? My only concern with the Arcam is that it lacks any modern room correction... and like i mentioned before, I have a very so so listening room.

Thanks!

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
Moderator Posted 12 years 2 months ago
I have not heard a particularly good result from the basic Audysey systems included with many receivers. Also, the Anthem ARC allows you to set the EQ frequency limit so you can correct only the areas that need correcting due to room issues. That said, I can't say it is a feature that outweighs all others for you.

Yes, I have heard the Anthem receivers and the Anthem separates and they sound great, and many of the GoldenEar dealers speak highly of them - along with the other good choices you are considering.

Thanks for your help! Great advice!

• sg60's Avatar Offline
sg60 Posted 11 years 9 months ago
I've read a couple of posts discussing amplification recommendations but most have been been talking about comparatively higher powered amps than what I have.

I have two amps/receivers. My main amp is an Ayre AX7E which is an excellent integrated amp but technically would be considered a little underpowered at 60W per channel. I use this for music.

My other amp is a Marantz AV receiver which has plenty of power. I use this with my Ayre which has pass-through capability so I can watch movies and TV with his setup.

My concern is with the Ayre AX7E. Sombody in this thread said the Triton Two speakers are about quality. Are they efficient enough that My Ayre amp would be enough to drive these speakers to their full sonic capabilities?

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support Triton Series Triton Towers Amplification Recommendations