file Beat frequency/Hum in midband of of Triton 2

• cstokes's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 0
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
cstokes Posted 12 years 2 months ago
Hi,
I have my Triton 2's feed by a PrimaLuna Premium Integrated Amp connected to the HT bypass input with a pair of audioquest interconnects. The source is the OPPO BDP-95 BD player.

The problem is that after the system is good and warmed up, I start to get a noise in the midband driver of the left Triton 2. It sounds like a beat frequency of 1Hz, in the 200Hz range, I'd guess. Other than this annoying sound the system sounds great. I contacted my PrimaLuna rep and he had me swap, the tubes and the the speaker cables. After all of the swapping the problem stayed in the left speaker/Triton 2. At first I was really hesitent to think it could be the speaker, because they sound so great. Now, I'm beginning to think otherwise. I don't get this problem when I connect the speakers to my Emotiva amp for home theatre??

Has anyone else experienced this?

Any ideas on next steps, or should I just follow up with the dealer?

Thanks in advance for any advice or counsel you might offer.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
Moderator Posted 12 years 2 months ago
Hi,

Do I understand correctly that the problem only exists with the PrimaLuna amp? When you connect another amplifier (Emotiva) the speaker works fine and does not exhibit this noise? If so, it has something to do with the PrimaLuna amp or its interface with the rest of your system. Can't help you with that one, you'll have to get assistance from someone local - hopefully your GoldenEar dealer can assist.

If the problem remained regardless of connected equipment, than we would want to inspect/service the offending speaker through your selling dealer. Feel free to contact us further at our owners support email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

Hope this helps - enjoy your Tritons.

• cstokes's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 0
cstokes Posted 12 years 2 months ago
First, thanks for taking the time to respond so quickly.

Yes, the problem appeared to only exist with the PrimaLuna. However, I called the dealer where I purchased the Triton 2's from and he told me it sounded like I had a "ground hum" problem. He suggested a few things, so I connected the Triton 2's and the PrimaLuna all to a 3 outlet plug extender on the ouput of a power cable running from one the PS Premier Power Plant. Now everything is a lot quieter, when the input volume is turned all the way downa, and seems to be working fine. I'll run it the rest of the day, and see how it goes. I agree, I don't think it's the Triton's. They are absolutely wonderful by the way :woohoo:

Cockpit error...

Again, thanks for your support.

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
Moderator Posted 12 years 2 months ago
That's great, glad you were able to track it down. Enjoy your Triton Twos!

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support Triton Series Triton Towers Beat frequency/Hum in midband of of Triton 2