file Where is 19hz?

• tyler_jennings's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 0
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
tyler_jennings Posted 12 years 7 months ago
Well I've had everything set up for awhile now and I haven't been successful at hearing any audible output below ~25hz. My ears, my RTA, and my SPL meter all agree. I thought I might have a problem somewhere in my component chain until I read the Stereophile review that includes a response graph. To sum it up, they measured -20db @ 20hz, -10db @ 25 hz, and about +3 db @ 30hz.

Even if it only hits 30hz it is still an amazing speaker, Stereophile certainly loves it, I love it. Why tell your customers something that isn't true?

What I *really* dislike when I'm showing off my speakers to my friends and the reality of the speaker's performance disagrees with the numbers you put on your website.

Here's the graph:

skitch.com/tylerjennings/g65hm/t2-review...2012.pdf-page-3-of-7

Here's the original article:

www.goldenear.com/images/reviews/t2_revi...eophile_feb_2012.pdf

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
Moderator Posted 12 years 7 months ago
Last edit: 12 years 7 months ago by Moderator. info_outline
Thanks for your feedback, I hope you are enjoying the speakers regardless of your concerns about specifications. That is certainly our hope, as we are firm believers that speaker specifications are at best misleading.

There have been a lot of conversations about bass response in the comments following several of the reviews, and the dialog is certainly similar to what you are raising here. The points that have been made before are: 1) The magazines' measurement techniques are rudimentary when it comes to bass performance and not a true indicator of in-room performance, and 2) The real bass response is what a pair of Tritons will produce in a normal room (one with boundaries and a reasonable total volume).

Your measurements, however, are not too far off. We measure a pair of Tritons FLAT to 24 Hz in-room (with boundary reinforcement ... which is significant given the size, number of, and location of, radiating surfaces for low frequencies). A full-range floor standing loudspeaker that is room-flat to 24Hz, is easy to drive and sells for $3,000/pair is an amazing accomplishment - and part of the reason for all the accolades and awards.

As far as the 19Hz specification, our engineers consider that the lowest usable frequency the speaker will produce (which I believe is a -10dB in-room pair specification). If you want FLAT to 19Hz (or below) for your movie effects playback (unless you're listening to pipe organ, there is nothing in music below that frequency), there are stand-alone subwoofers that sell for 2-3 times the price of a pair of Triton Twos that will achieve this - and make a great over-the-top addition to a TritonCinema system for a cost-no-object theater.

Thanks again - enjoy your GoldenEar System!

• tyler_jennings's Avatar Offline school
tyler_jennings Posted 12 years 7 months ago
Thanks for the clarification, that makes a lot of sense. And thanks for taking my whiny post in stride, now I feel like a jerk =].

I know you guys know how awesome these speakers are, but here's a story anyway. I was at a local audio store yesterday to hear the Wilson Audio Sasha 2's. They were powered by 600w classe monoblocks and similar quality preamp & source. Did they sound better than my gear and my Goldenears? Yes, but man not by much. I used to come home from the audio store and hear the vast gulf in quality between my old stuff and the tip-top of high end. Not any more. When I came home yesterday it was all there just like it was on the Wilson's, I've only lost a bit of focus in the midrange and bass. That's mindblowing considering what I have driving these puppies - a mid level NAD integrated. One other thing blew my mind while I was listening to the Wilsons. The tweeter in the GoldenEars is CLEARLY superior.

That is what I call exceeding expectations =]. Job well done guys.

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
Moderator Posted 12 years 7 months ago
LOL - its all good :laugh: .

Thanks for the great story and kind comments, much appreciated.

• fred's Avatar Offline
fred Posted 12 years 6 months ago
hi

you're talking about sophia 2 in think ?
because no one heard about a new sasha revision...

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back