file Marantz AVR, Bass LFE issue

• MrTriton's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 6
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
MrTriton Posted 4 years 2 months ago
Hi,

I have the issue with my Triton Refs that is described here:
www.goldenear.com/forum/Triton-Towers/38...aying-stereo-content

I know this is a problem of the AVR and not of the speakers. I currently use a Marantz
When I connect my PSA DAC to the power Amps for my stereo setup, the tritons sound great. Problem is when it goes through the AVR.I already set the speakers to large and connected the LFE input but did not help much.

Is there any receiver that works best with the golden ear triton speakers that does not have this bass / LFE issue?

Thx
Chris

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 4 years 2 months ago
Last edit: 4 years 2 months ago by rjohn79395. info_outline
Hi, Chris

Can you clarify something for us? When you go through the Marantz AVR, are you still using the external amps, or the AVR's internal amps?

I have a Marantz AVR, the SR 7010, and it's amps power the four height speakers only. The fronts, center and surrounds are powered by an ATi amp. And the bass, whether listening to 2.0 stereo or nine channel surround is superb.

I do agree that some receivers can roll off bass even in 2.0, not just when sending LFE to large fronts, no sub on, for whatever reason. My original, way back pre T1, T Ref etc. set up was a NAD T757 AVR and had the then newly introduced T2's as fronts. Bass was disappointing in 2.0 and so-so in surround. When I added a NAD stereo amp, added LFE connections and switched to using the NAD AVR's front pre-outs, bass got better all around. Apparently the NAD was more willing to send full bass via the pre-outs than via it's own amps.

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV

Hi,

ok thanks.
I am using the PreOuts on the Marantz to connect to the PS Audio M700 Power Amp for the front speakers.
My surround speakers and the center a powered by the Marantz.

When using the DAC for listening in stereo the connection for the 2 front tritons also uses the ext PowerAmp.

I need to do a bit more testing but I think that the bass is better when watching movies. (maybe due to the LFE connection)
In stereo via the Marantz it is not there.

KR
Chris
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 4 years 2 months ago
Good amps for the fronts!

They should capably handle output from the PSA DAC or the Marantz pre-outs with plenty of dynamic range. Your experience with your Marantz AVR is different then mine with the SR 7010. Which model are you using?

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV

Strange.
I am using a SR-5014 as I only have a 5.2 (if you count the 2 Tritons as 2 subs) system.
I'll check a bit further and see what helps. I will first add an additional sub to the 2nd LFE port and check if that one is delivering the bass.

Since you also have a Marantz one question: GE recommends to turn off equalizers, etc for best sound.
When listening with my DAC over the power amps I think that's true.
When listening to the same music via the Marantz HEOS (for example with pure) it sounds like a walkman or kitchen radio from the 80's. If I then enable the audyssey for a flat curve (small rooms) with 0db it sounds much better but still not as good as with the DAC.
Is that similar for you?

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
Moderator Posted 4 years 2 months ago
Chris, I would recommend setting your receiver to large front speakers and subwoofer to "on". I would also select the "LFE + Main" setting on your Marantz receiver. I would expect these settings to work well for both 2.0 and 5.1 sources. When adjusting the bass output of your system, I would first try adjusting the dial on the back of the towers so it sounds natural with 2.0 music sources. I would then try adjusting the subwoofer output on your receiver so it sounds natural with 5.1 sources.

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support Triton Series Triton Towers Marantz AVR, Bass LFE issue