file SS amp Rec for Triton 2+

• ChrisF's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 0
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
ChrisF Posted 4 years 3 months ago
Hi all. I've searched a bit and found some useful info. Figured I'd post my own thread with equipment for context.

Got back into 2ch audio about a year ago and it's been full steam back on the audio train ever since. Progression has been:

- Theater system is B&W 683 based with Rotel RMB1095, Marantz AV7705. Room is massively compromised and will never be good with 2ch audio so I setup one of my bedrooms for audio.

2ch progression:
- Dusted off NAD 7100 receiver out of storage and paired it with an Oppo BDP93 for CD's.
- Added a set of Goldenear Aon 2's (which I fell in love with sound wise)
- Added Bluesound Node 2i for hi res audio streaming
- Ripped entire CD collection to lossless and put on a NAS running Roon; added Tidal
- Purchased a NAD C658 for top end / DAC / streaming and moved Node to theater
- Dusted off NAD 2700THX amp for system.
- Upgraded Aon's with Triton 2+'s. They are incredible. Full stop. Listening to everything on them, new details emerge. Some recordings revealed as crap. I can't say enough good things about them.

Since adding the Triton's, I've played around with a friend's Audio Research VT60 tube amp. I have come to the conclusion I'm definitely NOT a tube guy. The amp sounds very laid back, rolled off on the top and lacking real dynamics. That is really the focal point of the NAD 2700 which is incredibly dynamic and throws a huge soundstage. The AR definitely imaged better than the NAD but not by a lot. I know a lot of audiophiles swear by tubes and their sound but it reminds me of vinyl where I think the memory is greater than the reality. Everyone seems to gravitate to one side...mine's pretty clear.

All that said, I'm wondering if there is a good upgrade to the NAD amp. Desire would be a little better imaging but keeping the big full soundstage and possible greater detail. I've seen a couple of amps keep popping up in my searches: Benchmark AHB2, Parasound A21. No aversion to buying used. Hard to demo right now with SIP but am not averse to buying used, trying and reselling if need be. Suggestions, comments welcomed.

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support Triton Series Triton Towers SS amp Rec for Triton 2+