file Subwooofer Consideration

• Head Banger's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 0
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
Head Banger Posted 5 years 1 month ago
I have a pair of Triton Ones and am considering adding a GE subwoofer. I have a Peachtree Nova 300 amp...so plenty of power.

Any thoughts?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• GDHAL's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 879
GDHAL Posted 5 years 1 month ago

Head Banger wrote: I have a pair of Triton Ones and am considering adding a GE subwoofer. I have a Peachtree Nova 300 amp...so plenty of power.

Any thoughts?

Hi Head Banger. Welcome to the forum. I recently posted basically my same response in another thread here in the GET forum.
I certainly don't want to discourage you from adding an external sub, but from what I've read over the years on various forums, many folks claim one should have subs in multiples of two (i.e. not just one sub, but two or four) to sound "right". I also read that integrating an external sub properly as far as its crossover and level with the rest of the speakers can be very challenging. This is one advantage of the Triton powered series speakers - the integration of the sub in the same box with the rest of the drivers is exactly perfect. I have TRefs. My room is 12ft wide, 32ft long, 8ft feet high ceilings, and the TRefs can produce so much bass I would never have a need for a sub. I had T1s and they produced a good deal of bass too. I can't help but think that powered Triton's with an external sub might be too much bass, for two channel music anyway. Home theater could be a different story if that is your use case. But that is just my opinion. I know there are many "bass junkies" and there is nothing wrong in that if this is what you want.
Golden Ear Triton Reference (pair), Musical Fidelity M6si, Schiit Yggdrasil-OG-B, Oppo UDP-205, Emotiva ERC-3, LG OLED65C9PUA, Salamander Synergy Triple Unit SL20, Audeze LCD-X, GIK acoustic paneling
halr.x10.mx/TritonReference.htm ; halr.x10.mx/other.html

• Head Banger's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 0
Head Banger Posted 5 years 1 month ago
Thanks for the feedback...and I think you nailed it. Bass is very good with T1s...maybe I'm over thinking what may be the next step on getting the best possible sound.

• spearfish25's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 9
spearfish25 Posted 5 years 2 weeks ago
I’ve been having this same consideration. My use is home theater. With the T1s, I run my AVR in 2 channel with no sub.

I’m just wondering what this 8hz thump of helicopter rotors in Black Hawk Down is all about. The T1s provide impressive bass in my huge living room. But the idea of a pair of big subs still has me wondering.

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support Triton Series Triton Towers Subwooofer Consideration