question-circle Building GET home theater room

• jamesmatthews19's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 1
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
jamesmatthews19 Posted 5 years 9 months ago
I am currently in the planning/budget phase of revamping my current home theater room (in basement, and dedicated). The current setup is a 7.1 system with Hsu Research VTF 15H sub, HSU bookshelf for LCR, and HSU in-walls for the surrounds. I am planning to move to an ATOMS setup with with GE towers for front R/L and rear R/L with Invisa series in ceiling. I also love my HSU sub and plan to keep it in the mix. Few questions below:

1. What towers are ideal given I will keep the HSU sub - would 2+ all around be overkill? Or better off with smaller towers in rears?
2. Should I run and connect 5 LFE channels for best blending/bass management? Or simply go with speaker wire and increase crossover for rear channels?
3. Is the XXL Center the right move?
4. How would the 650's work as 4 overheads?

ROOM details: roughly 15' x 18' wide opening behind listening position. Currently running a Marantz 7.2 AVR combo, but moving to separates as part of this redesign. Use an SPL meter for precise setup NOT embedded odyssey software.

Any insight is helpful as this is a massive upgrade, with a complete room overhaul.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 5 years 9 months ago
Hi, and welcome!

My thoughts on your questions:

1. Would T2+'s as fronts and surrounds be overkill? I don't think so. That would provide heft and bass balance all around.

2. Yes, connecting LFE all around and running in effect 5 subs will give good bass balance. I'd try running the T2+'s as full range, LFE connected, sub on, to take advantage of their considerable bass capabilities.

3. The XXL is a fantastic center channel speaker.

4. You didn't mention ceiling height, but Invisa's do a great job as height channel speakers. I have both 525 top rears and HTR 7000 top fronts in a 9' ceiling, and both pairs work perfectly together.

Have fun with your project! I think you're in for some amazing listening experiences.

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV

• jamesmatthews19's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 1
jamesmatthews19 Posted 5 years 9 months ago
Thanks for the quick reply! Follow up on connecting 5 LFE channels :) ...is there any problem splitting 2 LFE channels that many times? I have only ever used the one channel for my current sub. Also ceilings are 9' in basement, with coffered plastic tiles...not sure how difficult install of the Invisa's would be.

With 4 Triton 2+ towers and the XXL center would I even need the height channels ;)

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 5 years 9 months ago
Hi

Re using LFE splitters, there is very little signal loss using splitters. If you want to, there are inexpensive distribution amps available that can be installed that restore the signals to 100%. I use one, but do think it's probably overkill and unnecessary.

Re height channels. Yes the T2+'s as fronts and surrounds and SuperCenter XXL will be a major upgrade in and of itself! :) But IF it is feasible to add one or two height channel pairs, I do think you'd love the added sound envelope effect. Either way, you're in for a treat.

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV

• Timecop's Avatar Offline
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    • Thank you received: 270
Timecop Posted 5 years 8 months ago
Last edit: 5 years 8 months ago by Timecop. info_outline
For 7 channel surround sound, I’d go as large as possible for the fronts, a bit smaller for side-surrounds, and something small for rear surrounds. You could do T2’s+’s for fronts and sides, with super-sats as rears.

The benefit of active drivers in the T2’s+ are that they help balance out the bass throughout the room. I have a non-dedicated room (typical living room) with T2’s, T7’s, SS5’s, and two subs. Bass equalization is pretty easy with this setup.
Triton Two front L/R
SuperSat 50c center
Triton Seven surround L/R
SuperSat 50 surround rear L/R
AVR Arcam AVR-21
Amp Marantz mm7025
Velodyne optimum 10” sealed, back left corner
SuperSub X front-right corner

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support Triton Series Triton Towers Building GET home theater room