file Triton Reference And 4 Ohm Setting

• stereo5's Avatar Offline school
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
    • Thank you received: 201
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
stereo5 Posted 6 years 5 months ago
Last edit: 6 years 5 months ago by stereo5. info_outline
Here is a picture of the back of my amp.
Technics SL1200G TT with ZU DL103,, McIntosh c2500 all tube Preamp, Sony HAP-Z1ES Music Server, Esoteric UX-3 CD/SACD Player, McIntosh MR88 FM HD Tuner, McIntosh MC302 300wpc amp, GE Triton Reference Speakers, Shunyata Hydra's Power Conditioners & Power Cords, + more.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, HTSME

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• charliehatch's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 904
charliehatch Posted 6 years 5 months ago
Nice amp. I was able to download the manual from the web. I see it has a 40 A max peak current, which is considerable. My Bel Cantos have a 27 A limit. Not that that's a hardship in any way.

However, I remain confused about McIntosh power ratings and what that output transformer is doing. The McIntosh manual does not specify output impedance. Maybe they are trying to duplicate the sound of their tube amps.

My understanding -- maybe I'm wrong -- is that amp output impedance causes the circuit to behave like a voltage divider, so that amp impedance combined with low speaker impedance causes the voltage delivered to the speaker to go down. Speaker impedance varies considerably over frequency. Since the speaker output is related to the delivered voltage, when you have an amp with significant output impedance you end up with speaker output that varies with frequency. Because of this, very low amp output impedance is desirable because the speaker output will be more constant over frequency. I've seen many amp measurements in Stereophile with their simulated speaker load that support this.

I do wish I had those cool power meters. I am often curious about how much power I'm running. I know the TRefs are very efficient, so I don't use much power. Because of this, my amps run so far below rating that they must have vanishingly small distortion. Which is probably one reason they sound so good.
Digital source > multiple boxes and cables that are always changing > Triton Reference speakers
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395, stereo5, HTSME

• anthem's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 9175
anthem Posted 6 years 5 months ago
Yup
Drool is Right!
I have a Dealer in Wichita. I do a lot of business with him, and I'll bet he'll make me a killer Deal. We will see what happens.
D-Sonic m3a-600m Mono > McIntosh MC152 > Primaluna ProLogue Premium Preamp > Oppo UDP205 > Decware ZLC > Triton Reference > Isoacoustics Gaia 2 > Canare 4S11 Speaker Cables > Audience Forte 3, Anticable L3 & Shunyata Venom PC's

Every great performance deserves an Audience!

• HTSME's Avatar Offline
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    • Thank you received: 287
HTSME Posted 6 years 5 months ago

anthem wrote: Yup
Drool is Right!
I have a Dealer in Wichita. I do a lot of business with him, and I'll bet he'll make me a killer Deal. We will see what happens.

Oh no, anthem. Your credit card is about to take a big hit. Take your CD's and stuff you like and listen to it with that Mac. You are hooked. And yes those blue meters are so darn nice . I use to own a Mac system and loved it. Had it for 10 years and sold the preamp for $50 less than I paid for it and sold the amp for exactly what I paid. Great equipment.
Del
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, anthem, rjohn79395, stereo5

• anthem's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 9175
anthem Posted 6 years 5 months ago
After reading Stereo5 various McIntosh MC152 posts and how good it sounded, I felt as if I had just finished reading a Penthouse Forum Letter -- cigarette included. Wow...I want a McIntosh MC152!

Last year for my Birthday (July) I treated myself to a pair of GE Triton Refs. What a glorious Birthday present. The T Refs are the finest speakers I've had the pleasure of owning. I've had zero regrets regarding their purchase, and each day I spend with them only gets better.

So, after a little thinking and a whole lot of soul searching, I've decided to wait until the end of June to order the McIntosh MC152, just in time for My Birthday. There's something about "The Wait" that turns me on...kinda like Christmas.

July, I am so looking forward to you!
D-Sonic m3a-600m Mono > McIntosh MC152 > Primaluna ProLogue Premium Preamp > Oppo UDP205 > Decware ZLC > Triton Reference > Isoacoustics Gaia 2 > Canare 4S11 Speaker Cables > Audience Forte 3, Anticable L3 & Shunyata Venom PC's

Every great performance deserves an Audience!

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 6 years 5 months ago
Good for you, Anthem!!!

You really know how to celebrate birthdays!!! :whistle:

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, anthem, stereo5, HTSME

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support Triton Series Triton Towers Triton Reference And 4 Ohm Setting