file Triton Two Turn-on Troubles

• Chris_B's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 2
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
Chris_B Posted 6 years 5 months ago
Hello everyone – first time poster here. I'm a very satisfied owner of a pair of Triton Twos for at least 5 years now, as part of a full GoldenEar 7.2 system (w/ a SuperSat 60C + 4x SuperSat 50s). They've been operating and performing flawlessly, that is until a minor quirk started showing up in the past few months.

Turning on my system, the receiver (Marantz SR5007) powers up and then the Tritons begin playing high/mid frequencies, followed by the subwoofers powering on and activating a moment or two later. Now, the subwoofer in one of the towers doesn't activate as it should. The green light is not lit, as if the amplifier isn't receiving power or signal. The other tower works normally, so I don't believe the receiver is the culprit.

Highs/mids play fine. In order to get the sub working, I have to disconnect/reconnect the power cable, then power the receiver off/on again. Generally that does the trick, although once or twice I've had to repeat the same process again to get it working.

Any thoughts on what could be the cause of the issue? Is there a circuit in the sub amp that could be malfunctioning? Would a bad fuse potentially lead to this kind of behavior? I can contact my local dealer for service, if need be, but worry it could get costly since I'm out of warranty.

Thanks!
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, HTSME

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
Moderator Posted 6 years 5 months ago
Last edit: 6 years 5 months ago by Moderator. info_outline
Other than make sure all your power connections are good (seriously, make sure the power cords are plugged tightly in and outlet is always live) and the fuse is good, there's nothing else to do. Take a picture of the back panel with the serial number and call your dealer. Send them an email with the pic and a description of the problem and they will get replacement electronics in for them to service your turn-on trouble speaker.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, HTSME

• HTSME's Avatar Offline
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    • Thank you received: 287
HTSME Posted 6 years 5 months ago
I would unplug the power cords for the speakers and plug them back into the wall. Moderator is correct. Also I would check that your speaker wires are tight on the connection to the speaker and back of the receiver.
Del
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

• GDHAL's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 879
GDHAL Posted 6 years 5 months ago
Last edit: 6 years 5 months ago by GDHAL. info_outline

Chris_B wrote: In order to get the sub working, I have to disconnect/reconnect the power cable, then power the receiver off/on again. Generally that does the trick, although once or twice I've had to repeat the same process again to get it working.

Hi Chris. Welcome to the forum :)

Sorry to read of your speaker issue. Even though you're out of warranty, there is a good chance Golden Ear may handle the repair as though it were in warranty. So at a minimum you would want to consult with your dealer.

I can offer a tip, based on what you've described and what you're doing to remedy.

Put the speaker whose amp light doesn't always illuminate on its own *switched* power strip. Use the switch on the power strip to cycle on/off (until the amp light is on). Sometimes you may need to rapidly turn on/off to "jolt" the amp to turn on. Trust me, this tweak can work. B) I know of this from prior experience with a JBL S412P speaker, which had its own power switch on the plate amp and exhibited the same behavior as you describe.

Of course this is a secondary solution to having it repaired, but at a minimum it will spare you the headache of powering up/down everything to get the one speaker to turn on.

Best of luck. I hope things work out for you. :)
Golden Ear Triton Reference (pair), Musical Fidelity M6si, Schiit Yggdrasil-OG-B, Oppo UDP-205, Emotiva ERC-3, LG OLED65C9PUA, Salamander Synergy Triple Unit SL20, Audeze LCD-X, GIK acoustic paneling
halr.x10.mx/TritonReference.htm ; halr.x10.mx/other.html
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395, HTSME

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support Triton Series Triton Towers Triton Two Turn-on Troubles