file Asymmetrical toe useful?

• Cxp's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 37
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
Cxp Posted 6 years 6 months ago
Hi guys, I’d like to see if any of you have had any luck with slight asymmetrical toe in of your towers. My left tower is about 3 ft from a corner and the right is open. Both towers are about 39 inches from rear wall.

I’m noticing a nice soundstage with the left(corner one) firing about 2 inches in front my head while the right fires directly at my right ear. This appears to give me the most symmetrical stage so far. If I toe the right in to match it narrows the stage and feels off. If I reduce toe in of the left, the stage widens on the left and reduces width on the right side.

Any luck with a setup similar? I appreciate your thoughts. Cheers.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395, HTSME

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 6 years 6 months ago
Sorry CXP, probably a good question, but I don't quite get it.
Are you saying that you use an asymmetrical toe in because your room boundaries around the two speakers are not symmetrical?
That might make sense.
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395

Yes that’s it. The theory is to counteract or modify the character of the first reflections from the left side which is next to boundary.

My general observations regarding toe in of the left speaker (boundary) is that with less toe in, timbre is wrong. It is thin sounding. Toed in directly to me,it’s ok but image still pulls left. By toeing in a little more on the left, to my nose or an inch or two in front really helps the timbre of the left side. If I set the balance to the left only timbre sounds better, acoustic guitar has a rich sound that better matches the right which doesn’t have a boundary.

I’m still messing with the angles but having the left point just in front of my nose and the right to point to back of my head seems to balance nicely with no image shift.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 6 years 6 months ago
Hi, Cxp

Interesting! Good for you for experimenting, thinking through what effects room boundaries can have on SQ!

I have a right front that is bordering in my case a partial wall. I run the bass on that powered Triton higher than on the left, fully bordered front. Seems to balance things better.

Are your fronts powered? Adding some bass to the unbordered tower can help balance also.

I'll try some of your suggestions.

Thanks!

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, HTSME

Last edit: 6 years 6 months ago by Cxp. info_outline
In my setup I am not hearing a great benefit with setting the subs at different levels. It’s possible that since I have Triton 3+s and the crossover on the mids are 160, setting them differently changes some of the vocal area. This is a major benefit of the 1 and reference with lower crossovers points.

I do not have a boomy sound from the corner Triton, maybe since it’s 3 ft from the side wall and 3 ft from the rear wall.

I have a few tracks I like to use, 1 of which is of acoustic guitar which goes wide right and wide left. If I go symmetrical, I haven’t been able to get it to sound right.

It’s interesting how the toe in of the corner Triton impacts the perceived width of the opposite side. If you try asymmetry, there is going to be a sweet spot with the angle. If the toe in is not enough, it won’t sound quite right till all of a sudden everything blends into a nice invisible stage.

I really think there is a null at my listening position for the left (corner speaker) specifically. It has always sounded thin from that side. The right speaker has clearly more bass and even my former polk towers were the same. I’ve changed positioning forward and back and width wise and it’s always there. The seating position simply cannot move anymore forward in my living room and going back hurts the overall stage performance and blending.

However I don’t think the null is too bad since setting the corner triton sub at 10 1/2 and the right one at 9.75 is very balanced. They start to sound really nice together. It’s ironic how many times people turn the corner sub down to stabilize the image, I am finding the opposite.

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support Triton Series Triton Towers Asymmetrical toe useful?