file Triton One, Line Magnetic 219ia SET, question about 4ohm/8ohm output taps

• cookythecook's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 5
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
cookythecook Posted 6 years 7 months ago
Hello there forum! long time lurker, first time poster.

I have the Triton One Towers and the Line Magnetic 219ia (same as Sandy!), and I can't seem to make a decision on which output tap to use on the 219ia. Been driving myself nuts with tweaking, so hoping to get some insight and regain my sanity haha

Everything I've read seems to imply the 4ohm tap more closely matches the expected curve of the One's, and this is the tap GoldenEar normally uses when they demo.

When I play on the 4ohm tap, the soundstage is greatly condensed, vocals sound clearer, and output power is reduced. When I use the 8ohm tap, the soundstage is huge, vocals seems to have a little little less magic (but this could be imaginary :) possibly I'm hearing more of the instruments and therefore the vocals aren't the focus? ), and output power is increased.

What is the right call here? Is there a right call? How do I stop driving myself crazy trying to choose? Help! Any advice with benefits and drawbacks is greatly appreciated! Hoping you all can lead me to the right decision, and I never have to worry about this ever again haha

I normally listen to rock, electronic, and ambient.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395, HTSME

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• anthem's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 9175
anthem Posted 6 years 7 months ago
Hey cookythecook:
There is NO right call here. Don't worry about what tap others use. The tap that sounds best to you is the best tap, regardless of what others may say.

I use an Decware Zen Torii mk4 with 4 & 8 ohm capability. The majority of time I run 8ohm, but if a recording sounds to thin and wasn't recorded well, I'll use the 4ohm.

At the end of the day, you're the one listening to the music. Do what sounds best to you.
D-Sonic m3a-600m Mono > McIntosh MC152 > Primaluna ProLogue Premium Preamp > Oppo UDP205 > Decware ZLC > Triton Reference > Isoacoustics Gaia 2 > Canare 4S11 Speaker Cables > Audience Forte 3, Anticable L3 & Shunyata Venom PC's

Every great performance deserves an Audience!
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395, T Cobe, HTSME

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 6 years 7 months ago
Hi and welcome here Cookythecook (would love to know more about the cooking part if you feel like sharing, I am an inveterate eater and nobody likes to cook, or can cook my food around here in Thailand so I end up cooking a LOT)!
Anyway, again, welcome.
Great to hear that someone else has the TOnes and you obviously have good, perhaps Golden ears to be able to hear those differences. I found speaker distance and toe in did the most to dial in the sound stage for me.
Never would have thought that amp ohm choices would make that big a difference. WOW
I wish I could help, but I have Vincent tube/transistor hybrid amps and do not run into that option or problem.
But I LOVE music and movies on my TOnes.
I think what Bro Anthem said is right, whatever sounds best to you. Though it would be interesting/informative to find out what Sandy uses?
Enjoy the tunes, and keep in touch here.
And don't stress on it, EVEN if you are not on the exactly best tap, if there is one, rest assured you system is MILES and Quantum leaps ahead of what most people in this world listen to!!!!!
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 6 years 7 months ago
Cookythecook,
You made me look!!!! I had to search and read up on the Line Magnetic, WOW, color me impressed!!!!!
Do you use any neg feedback? IF I read correctly that is user selectable too, though I don't "think" I would use any, at least from the neg influences I have heard on some other amps. But each application is different, and getting 24 watts outta the 300B is quite a lot.
Would love to hear more of your experiences, and again, IMPRESSED!!!!!
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395, HTSME

• stereo5's Avatar Offline
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
    • Thank you received: 201
stereo5 Posted 6 years 5 months ago
I may be late to the party but perhaps I can chime in. I was in a similar situation as you, only I am using Triton References and a McIntosh solid state amp. The McIntosh, like your tube amp has output transformers with different taps. I was running my References on the 8 ohm setting for 3 months and never really warmed up to the sound. It sounded muddy with no real extension. On a lark, I tried the 4 ohm taps and viola!!! the entire presentation changed for the better. Gone is the boomy bass which had been dialed back to 9 o clock on the level control. I put the speaker controls back into the mid position and now I have deep and articulate bass with great slam and the treble extension is now very satisfactory. Had I not tried changing the speaker taps, I never would have known just how good my system sounds. The moral is that you should experiment and decide which one sounds better. Everyone's room is different and something that sounds good at 4 ohms in one room, may sound better at 8 ohms in a different room.

Once you decide, relax and take a deep breath. Listen to your favorite music while sipping your favorite Whisky or Scotch. Life will be good again.
Technics SL1200G TT with ZU DL103,, McIntosh c2500 all tube Preamp, Sony HAP-Z1ES Music Server, Esoteric UX-3 CD/SACD Player, McIntosh MR88 FM HD Tuner, McIntosh MC302 300wpc amp, GE Triton Reference Speakers, Shunyata Hydra's Power Conditioners & Power Cords, + more.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, HTSME

• cookythecook's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 5
cookythecook Posted 6 years 5 months ago
thank you al for answering me! really appreciate it!

I actually ran into Sandy in the GoldenEar/Primaluna room at Axpona this weekend, and he told me he had the Triton References hooked up at 4ohm. :) that sealed the deal for me!!!!! 4 ohm it is for my Triton Ones. Both listed as "compatible with 8 ohms"
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, HTSME

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support Triton Series Triton Towers Triton One, Line Magnetic 219ia SET, question about 4ohm/8ohm output taps