file Triton One Subwoofer leveling

• AustinJT's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 1
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
AustinJT Posted 6 years 8 months ago
I'm really struggling to get my subwoofer levels balanced out properly with my Marantz receivers. I'm currently trying to get my Marantz SR8012 calibrated properly.

I am running a Y cable from subwoofer output 1 to the Triton One LFE inputs. I'm running the second sub out to the SuperSubX. When doing the initial Audessey tests, my subwoofer level on the T1s is too high, even when I set the gain on the subwoofer to the minimum.

When running the LFE inputs to my T1s, I have configured the T1s to both large and small to see if I can tell the difference. I have also configured Dynamic EQ on and off, but I think the root of my problem is really that I can't level-match the subs at an appropriate level.

When everything is said and done, Audessey sets the levels for the T1 subs to -12db, which I believe is the max. At these levels, the T1s still seem to overpower my SuperSubX.

I have tried a bunch of different configurations, but am considering dropping the LFE inputs to the T1s to see if that helps.

Any other advices? Wondering if I would have a different experience with receivers other than Marantz, Anthem maybe? Anyone willing to share how they have configured T1s with an additional subwoofer?

Thanks,
Jeremy

Setup:
Front L/R: Triton Ones
Sub: SuperCenterX
Center: SuperCenter XXL
Back/Surround: Invisa MPX
Height (4): Invisa 650
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
Moderator Posted 6 years 8 months ago
Last edit: 6 years 8 months ago by Moderator. info_outline
Audyssey is probably the issue. I would suggest disabling Audyssey and doing a manual setup as suggested in Sandy's Setup Tips as a first step. There are suggestions about using additional subs too.

Although it may sound old-fashioned, I would suggest you start with JUST the Triton Ones on stereo music playback. Turn off ALL audio processing (Dolby Volume, Auto-EQ, Audyssey EQ ... EVERYTHING that has anything to do with audio), set the speakers to LARGE, sub to NO, put on some good full range stereo music and set the speakers up (room position and bass level setting) to get your best stereo music presentation (bass balance, soundstage, imaging). Once you're happy, add the center and surrounds in and run an LFE cable to the outboard sub (only) and change the speaker setup menu subwoofer setting to YES. Now put on a movie and set the sub level on the SuperSub for movie LFE playback (you can start by setting the levels on the calibration menu, then adjust to taste). Once you've got this firing on all cylinders, you can add LFE cables to the Tritons too.

Lastly, once you are happy with the manual setup, go ahead and run Audyssey if you want to see if you like the results better. If the latest version we would suggest limiting the correction to frequencies below 500 Hz. If not possible, turning off correction for the L/R main speakers which has been a standard feature of Audyssey.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe, HTSME

• ArthurDaniels's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 1811
ArthurDaniels Posted 6 years 8 months ago
Hello Austin,

I think the Moderator's response is an excellent approach. I offer the following additional thoughts.

Do you have a strong preference between listening to music and watching movies? If so, you might want to perform your setup experiments while listening in your primary mode.

I am recommending this approach from my own experience. My strong preference is listening to music. After many experiments with trying to achieve "best" music reproduction with a multi-channel setup involving Triton One fronts and separate Paradigm sub, all driven with a 9.2 channel Onkyo AV Receiver, I finally decided that I could not achieve what I wanted with a combined approach.

My solution has been to dedicate my GE speakers to music and to drive them with a 2-channel Cambridge Amplifier.

My multi-channel movie sound setup involves using older Sony AV Receivers and totally separate older speakers.

I have a separate outboard sub connected to my movie system.

My total system is a bit more complicated than the above description, but that is beside the point. If you can achieve satisfactory sound for both movies and music using the Moderator's suggestions - great!

But, if not, think about the possibility of separating the two sound systems so that you can set each one up for best sound.

Happy listening and experimenting.

Art
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

• Pbgalvin's Avatar Offline
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Lovin' GET T1s
    • Thank you received: 633
Pbgalvin Posted 6 years 8 months ago
Interesting AustinJT. I have the same problem with Audessey in my setup
(Oppo 205 -> Marantz 7703 -> Butler Audio 5150 -> GeT Ref)
Audessey said to turn the sub volume on the TRefs way way down.

I ran Audessey, let it tune everything else, and then moved the TRef volume back up to around 10.

Sounds good but haven't done a lot of A/B testing.
Also I set Audessey to flat L/R which I think is bypassing it for the mains, so I probably shouldn't have bothered using it.
I think I did this because I read somewhere that it rolls off highs to avoid the usual digital harsh / etch. But my setup certainly shouldn't need that. So I think it's managing bass, plus the surrounds and center, which is probably okay.
If / when I get more time I'll play around with it. Kinda annoying to bypass it when it's a feature I wanted to use...

--Peter
2 channel -> GeT Ones.R, Rogue RP-7 pre, Kinki Studio B7 Monoblock amps fed by Oppo 105D, SonicTransport, OpticalRendu w/ 200,000 tracks, Rega RP8 w/ Garrott OPTIM S3 FGS Ruby + Sutherland 20/20 phono pre, PS Audio Powerplant 20
HT -> Marantz 7703, Butler Audio T5150 amp, GeT Ref mains
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, WayneWilmeth, HTSME

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support Triton Series Triton Towers Triton One Subwoofer leveling