file Triton Two+ Very Bright

• thegage's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 2
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
thegage Posted 6 years 11 months ago
I recently upgraded from Triton Threes to Triton Two+. I had the Threes for about three years and loved them as they presented very good detail but at the same time were not aggressive in the high end in any fashion. I now have about 100 hours on the Two+, and as they have broken in they have gotten brighter and brighter, now to the point where things such as cymbals sound splashy and unnatural, and at realistic volume levels the aggressiveness of the midrange/high end is almost painful. Even LPs sound too bright. Nothing else has changed in my system. Bass control is set at just past 12-o'clock. Room is treated with bass traps (Real Traps), selective damping on key reflection points, and a heavy carpet/pad. Components include a VPI turntable, Moon phono, Cambridge CXU, Parasound JC2 pre, SMC Audio power amp, Grover cables, all fed by PS Audio Power Plant. I've tried different power amps and preamps without much change. Thoughts?

John K.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
Moderator Posted 6 years 11 months ago
If nothing has changed in your system, absolutely nothing except the change in speakers, that would certainly seem to indicate an issue with the speakers (can't imagine what though). Best to have your selling dealer do some evaluation in their store to either confirm there's a problem and move towards a resolution, or, verify there is not by evaluating compared to their store units so you can begin to search for other causes..
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 6 years 11 months ago
Hi John K. and welcome here.
I have the T 3s, moved soon to the T 2s (not the pluses) and listened to them for several years, love them.
But they were more revealing, a little brighter than the T 3s. Moved to the TOnes and they were more revealing still and a little brighter yet than the T 2s at first, but as they broke in they became too bright for me. Now, I have not heard the T 2+s but they have a lot the same technology as the TOnes, so I am told.
SO, what I am saying is that I can understand where you are coming from. But for me the solution was simple. I believe a LOT of this game is all about system synergy. I had silver ICs and speaker cables, which I have enjoyed for years, have used silver cables for around 30 years. BUT they were too bright for my system with the TOnes. I changed to some MIT cables I had and voile, perfect.
Now I have super clear, transparent, revealing, highly resolving highs but lovely and beautiful. Only occasionally are they too bright and that is on like 2 discs I have which have a lot of digital glare--faulty discs and recording IMHO, not the fault of my system.
Another good way to tame the bright lights is by using tubes somewhere in the system.
Obviously if something is wrong, then it needs to be fixed, but I hope this helps.
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: HTSME

• thegage's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 2
thegage Posted 6 years 11 months ago
Thanks for the replies, and particularly experience with moving up the Triton line. I did some experimenting with speaker cables and that seems to have tamed the brightness a bit. I also had forgotten that some time a bit just before I got the Two+s I had a voltage spike (likely from nearby lightning) that took out the fuses in my phono and system pre. I replaced the fuses, but the Two+s may be revealing additional damage that was clouded by the Threes. More experimenting in my future.

John K.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support Triton Series Triton Towers Triton Two+ Very Bright