file Triton Ones with Additional Subwoofer set up?

• kenreau's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 6
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
kenreau Posted 7 years 6 months ago
Last edit: 7 years 6 months ago by kenreau. info_outline
I could use some expert advice on T1's with separate subwoofer set up.

In my home theater I have T1's across the front for Left, Center and Right channel speakers. This is the first time I have ever been able to use identical L, C & R speakers (behind an acoustically transparent screen) and the T1's sound fantastic!

I have an Anthem MRX 1120 AVR which has Two Sub Out Jacks (parallel). I currently use one Sub Out jack to the LFE input of my Center T1 and the second Sub Out jack with a Y-splitter to the LFE inputs of the Left and Right T1's. I tuned everything with the Anthem ARC dsp system and it sounds good. I thought the bass bottom end could use a little more heft and impact in my room, so I just bought a SVS SB16-Ultra Sub. It is a beast of a sub and I plan to put it in the back end of the room, behind the seating area.

My question is, how to optimize the three T1's to work with the SVS Sub given the MRX has Two Sub Out Jacks (parallel)? Is it simply using two Y-splitters on the two sub out jacks to provide four LFE outputs to supply the three T1's and the SVS? Any reason to change the any of the L,C and R T1's to just use the speaker level inputs only (without LFE input) and go LFE only to the SVS sub? I imagine I will need to run the ARC in separate passes as well (with SVS only and with front T1s subs only)

Thx
Kenreau
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395, T Cobe, aribraun

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 7 years 6 months ago
WOW Kenreau, I am mightily impressed, that should be a GREAT sounding setup!!!!!
WOW!!!!! I am a bass head, and I like what you are doing.
I would just go with 2 y splitters.
Care needs to be taken with your room correction, but you know that. I actually found with the more speakers putting out the bass around the room, room correction was simpler and more effective.
It should be SWEET AS, please report back to us what you did and how it sounds.
Now I have drool all over my keyboard!!!!
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395, T Cobe

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 7 years 6 months ago
Last edit: 7 years 6 months ago by rjohn79395. info_outline
Wow is right! A Supercenter XXL, set at 60 HZ crossover, is a mighty impressive center speaker... a T1, full range with LFE feed, at center... :whistle: !!!

I like Wayne's suggestion to use 2 y splitters, probably T1 fronts on one sub out to control the sides, and T1 center and SVS sub on the other splitter for center front/back?.... I run my front T1 LFE's through one sub out, the surround T2's from the 2nd, all through a distribution amp (installed the amp when I had an AVR with only one sub out and didn't want to split the signal four ways... probably unnecessary now with two sub outs; splitters should work fine). You could adjust T1 fronts vs T1 center volume/balance with gain settings on sub 1 and 2 outs in the AVR, then adjust front T1/rear SVS volume balance via the volume control on the SVS.

Like Wayne, I will now wipe the drool off my keyboard. :P

I would love to get your feedback on how it all sounds!!!

Happy listening!

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 7 years 6 months ago
Kenreau,

I'll echo Wayne and Rick enthusiasm and admiration of your setup! That all has to sound amazing! I think going with the 2 y splitters is a great place to start. If that gives you any trouble, you may want to consider removing the LFE from your T1 center channel and just running 3 subs. You probably wouldn't notice too much difference. I also run LFE into my T1s at the front left and right mains and a separate stand alone subwoofer directly behind my PLP. The effect is quite fantastic and my Paradigm sub isn't anywhere near the sub your SB-16 is. Just make sure you properly calibrate the subs.

The best way to go would be to initially set the sub level with the test tone so that you are at the recommended 75 dB. Essentially, you should calibrate each sub separately and subtract 3 dB for each additional sub. If you are using 3 subs, you would set each sub to 69 dB with the test tone. When all three are running, you should be at 75 dB. For 4 subs, start at 66 dB. After ARC has worked its magic, I like to bump up the LFE on my Paradigm sub a bit for that little extra bump, but I'm a bit of a bass head and my room is quite challenging. I have the crossovers for my subs set to 80 Hz and find that to be the best crossover for my space. Running two T1, or 3, at full range should work quite nicely if you set your crossover to the same frequency.

This is all a matter of trial and error, as well as personal preferences. Try it a few different ways and run ARC a few times with a few diffferent settings to see what you like best. Also, be sure to limit ARC to 500 Hz and below for room correction. I think it defaults to 5,000 Hz. Lowering this frequency creates a more lively sound and doesn't strip GET's secret sauce out of their presentation. Let us know what you settle in on. It would also be nice to see some pics of this amazing setup if your willing to share.

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395

• imahawki's Avatar Offline
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    • Thank you received: 578
imahawki Posted 7 years 6 months ago
I'll echo what others have said in that you really just need to split the second LFE out on the Anthem. I'd put the L/R on one split and the C/Sub on the other.

I run two T1s and a Power Sound Audio V1500 and one thing I'd caution is paying extra attention to where you have the gain on the SVS set relative to the LFE coming from the Tritons, especially with EQ in the mix. In theory having bass come from 4 locations will be good for flattening out overall response but if you have a large dip at say 40Hz, you're going to be boosting 40Hz to all 4 speakers.

My recommendation would be to run the SVS 2-3dB higher than your Tritons. I did this using a handheld SPL meter. I ran the LFE test tone just to my Tritons and measured the SPL and then just to the sub and raised the gain until the SPL was just a skosh higher. Then I ran ARC.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395, T Cobe

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 7 years 6 months ago
I also bumped the level up on my dedicated subwoofer, but after completing ARC. Wouldn't having the SVS level higher than the T1s throw off the ARC calibration? I suspect it would. In either case, a few experiments would likely lead to the most preferred results.

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support Triton Series Triton Towers Triton Ones with Additional Subwoofer set up?