file Peachtree nova 150 vs 300

• jobyfam's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 6
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
jobyfam Posted 8 years 6 days ago
Hi all,
I have a pair of Triton 5's. I am considering a sonic transporter/microrendu setup to remove my aged macbookpro from the equation. I have a seagate central nas with about 5000 albums , ( over 900 of which are 24 bit ). My question is , would the new Peachtree 150 be more than adequate to run these fantastic speakers or would I be better to wait for the 300 to be released? I have my heart set on one of these amps.
Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
James
The following user(s) said Thank You: T Cobe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 8 years 6 days ago
James,

That's a great question. I think the new amps from Peahtree are just emerging now and they have made a dramatic shift in their products with no tube pre-amp section and changing their manufacturing process. I have read some favorable reviews of the new 150 but it sounds like it it still missing the optional WiFi module. Seems like they rushed to market with this one.

Besides additional power, there appears to be some differences between the units. Upgrading to the 300 SHOULD provide benefit but I'd recommend an audition of both to decide for yourself. Does your local GET dealer carry Peachtree Audio? Best to be patient and audition both with the T5s to be certain.

Please let us know what you decide and how things sound. I'm considering one of these for a bedroom setup. I'd be curious to hear them first hand. Previous products sounded very good but significant changes like they have recently made always make me cautious. Good luck!

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
T Cobe Posted 8 years 6 days ago
James,

Another recent review that looks pretty positive!

www.digitalaudioreview.net/2016/09/a-new...s-peachtree-nova150/

Cheers,

T Cobe
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze

jobyfam Posted 8 years 5 days ago
Thanks very much for your replies T Cobe.
I saw the Darko review yesterday. He seems pretty wrapped in the Peachtree 150.
I note the recommended amplification for the triton 5's is 15 to 400 watt/channel.
I guess I am a little confused as to what actual difference one would expect hearing the Peachtree 150(W) over the 300 (W). Is it just a personal taste thing or is a more powerful amp. better able to provide, say, a wider, more seperated sound stage at lower volumes etc.
Both the Peachtree's fall under the max. recommended amplification for the speakers. In an ideal world should you match the amplifier rating to the maximum rating for the speaker, ie, should you look for a amp rated at 400 watts in the case of the triton 5's?
I am rambling now, but I am interested what to expect from running the tritons with each amp.Unfortunately my local Goldenears agent doesn't stock Peachtree for a comparison. Thanks again.

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
T Cobe Posted 8 years 5 days ago
James,

The T5s are very efficient speakers and they will play at 90 dB with only 1 watt (measured at 1 meter). 150 clean watts of power would generate over 110 dB, which is extremely loud. The Peachtree Nova 150 and 300 will both provide adequate power. While more power is better, as a rule, I wouldn't get too wrapped up in just this one spec. Based on a quick review of their website, some of the other specs varied as well.

Specifications can only tell you part of the story. Listening to the 150 with a high quality speaker should tell you a great deal about the amp. If you wait until the 300 is out, then you could compare both, side by side, to see if you can hear a difference. Doing direct comparisons with as many variables removed is the best way to compare the performance. Same room, same position, same music, same cabling, same sources, same dB level. I like to take a decibel meter with me when shopping to make sure the volume levels being compared are the same. It's also good to take music that you are familiar with and that has challenged your current gear.

What are you currently using as a preamp and amplifier? At this point, the 150 seems like a fairly safe bet but an audition is certainly in order if you haven't heard it first hand. Would the 300 be better? Probably, but how much is a matter of personal opinion and there is always a bigger, better, faster out there. In fact, I believe they discussed a Nova 500 in that article. My point is, you can drive yourself batty if you second guess every decision. If you purchase the 150 for a decent dealer, you will likely have a 30 day return period. If the dealer is good, they may even let you take a demo model home to test in your current setup. That is always the best way to perform an audition. If the 150 sounds good and has the capabilities you need for minimal disruption in your current system, give it a go and don't look back! Just my .02.

Cheers,

T Cobe

jobyfam Posted 8 years 5 days ago
Thanks again for another great reply. I currently have a Yamaha RX-A3000 running in pure direct mode and a small oppo HA-2 for the dac. Not ideal but the sound is surprisingly good.I will wait for the 300 release and definately compare in the manner you described. If this post is still open in a few months,( things take a little longer to arrive down here in Oz), I'll let you know my decision. I will also let you know how the sonic transporter/ microrendu addition goes.
Thanks again T Cobe.

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support Triton Series Triton Towers Peachtree nova 150 vs 300