file Trition One - Grill Replacement

• Jose R. Sifontes's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 13
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
Jose R. Sifontes Posted 8 years 5 months ago
I have actually done this repair. Not hard at all if you are semi-handy. Can guide you over the phone if you decide you want to attempt it. If you can get the dealer to do it, all the better. To do it yourself, at a high level, could be a 45 min or two hour job depending on method. Method 1 is to remove the sock down to where the damage is but do not remove the grill. Then use a dental pick tool to pop the damage area back out. The grill is made of cheap thin metal (scary for $5K speakers), it should pop back out easily. Method two requires removing the sock completely (remove the base - fours screws, and the back plate amp - like 8 screws - sock pops out after that, you have to maneuver the plate amps sideways to go into the sock's opening. Then you remove a crapload of phillips screws and the grill comes out and you can repair the screen from behind. In my Tritons those screws were not properly tightened and the screen was vibrating - so make sure to tighten them either way (by hand, do not use the impact drill!) - that is a good mod.

Dental tool link - you can get something similar at Walgreens etc.:

kk.org/cooltools/dental-picks/
Thanks,

OBG
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gopinathan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Gopinathan's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 11
Gopinathan Posted 8 years 5 months ago
Hi,

Thanks for the detailed procedure for getting this done. this would be really helpful for other members on this forum too. My dealer actually went by your second methodology. He came home, removed the grill and took it to his workshop and repaired it and fitted it back the next day. It now all back up and working great.

Thanks
Girish

• GDHAL's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 879
GDHAL Posted 8 years 5 months ago

Jose R. Sifontes wrote: I have actually done this repair. Not hard at all if you are semi-handy. Can guide you over the phone if you decide you want to attempt it. If you can get the dealer to do it, all the better. To do it yourself, at a high level, could be a 45 min or two hour job depending on method. Method 1 is to remove the sock down to where the damage is but do not remove the grill. Then use a dental pick tool to pop the damage area back out. The grill is made of cheap thin metal (scary for $5K speakers), it should pop back out easily. Method two requires removing the sock completely (remove the base - fours screws, and the back plate amp - like 8 screws - sock pops out after that, you have to maneuver the plate amps sideways to go into the sock's opening. Then you remove a crapload of phillips screws and the grill comes out and you can repair the screen from behind. In my Tritons those screws were not properly tightened and the screen was vibrating - so make sure to tighten them either way (by hand, do not use the impact drill!) - that is a good mod.

Dental tool link - you can get something similar at Walgreens etc.:

kk.org/cooltools/dental-picks/

Jose, while I have not encountered a problem with the grill, in my opinion it is not "cheap thin metal". It is appropriate construction where speakers are concerned. I'm basing that off of what I've seen other brands over the years use. That said, it will not be so simple to pull he dent out and make it "exactly perfect". Once it is machined formed, it is extremely difficult to get the shape and curvature perfect and not compromise the strength of the material in that area. Where I do agree there is an issue, and I have provided GET with alternatives, are the loose screws. This issue is such that I consider it a maintenance function to inspect the screws after a year of usage and re-tighten as necessary. If after the first year they are not loose after initially re-tightening them, in my opinion this maintenance function can be reduced to every two years or eliminated. If on the other hand they are loosened after previously re-tightening, more frequent tightening or replacing the screws (with very carefully selected ones) may be needed.
Golden Ear Triton Reference (pair), Musical Fidelity M6si, Schiit Yggdrasil-OG-B, Oppo UDP-205, Emotiva ERC-3, LG OLED65C9PUA, Salamander Synergy Triple Unit SL20, Audeze LCD-X, GIK acoustic paneling
halr.x10.mx/TritonReference.htm ; halr.x10.mx/other.html
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 8 years 5 months ago
I think the issue with the grill is not a quality problem but rather an issue in moving the Tritons without damaging them since they can't be readily removed. They are certainly on par with other manufacturers in terms of quality; maybe better since they aren't cheap plastic. The issue really is trying to move the Tritons. Most speakers have remove able grills and I've normally done so when moving them. I have caused some minor dents in my grills on my T1s from moving them. It's difficult to get a grip on them without effecting the grills. So, in a sense, I agree with Jose and GDHAL. I think a removable grill design would be a huge benefit.

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
Moderator Posted 8 years 5 months ago
Best to steer clear of calling anything cheap if you don't want your posts deleted. The metal grille assembly on the Triton One is quite expensive. Buy one as a replacement part if you don't believe me.

Grilles get bent either through mishandling during unpacking or movement, and from severe shipping impact. Trying to straighten with a dental tool is a mistake if you want to restore the original shape.

• Jose R. Sifontes's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 13
Jose R. Sifontes Posted 8 years 5 months ago

Moderator wrote: Best to steer clear of calling anything cheap if you don't want your posts deleted. The metal grille assembly on the Triton One is quite expensive. Buy one as a replacement part if you don't believe me.

Grilles get bent either through mishandling during unpacking or movement, and from severe shipping impact. Trying to straighten with a dental tool is a mistake if you want to restore the original shape.

Really? GET deletes posts like that? I would use them to improve product design.

The round grill on mine started rattling one week after arrival. Two screws were loose. But you have to see how it is attached to understand why I chose the word "cheap" - it fits. The plastic tabs that hold the grill were, at some of the attachment points, deformed/bent by the screw, as if forced to fit in place. I took pictures, that is how surprised I was.

Not meant to offend anyone (hey - I own and enjoy these speakers) - just sharing an observation of manufacturing quality as an engineer.
Thanks,

OBG

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support Triton Series Triton Towers Trition One - Grill Replacement