file Triton 5 vs. Triton 2

• nicklao's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 4
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
nicklao Posted 8 years 9 months ago
My home theater room is fairly small: 13x15x8 ft. I am planning an Atmos setup and wanted some advice on what to buy without overpaying for what I don't need. For my LR, should I go with Triton 5 or Triton 2'? I listened at the dealer showroom, but it was very different from my room in size, height and layout. At the showroom, I actually liked the sound of the 5's more than the 2's! I already have an SVS 2000 sub so I will be adding that to the mix. Is it worth the extra $1000 for the 2's? I've heard various people say that the 5, although technically a step down from the 1,2 and 3... Actually shares much of the same crossover tech and has a larger woofer.

Also, would the SC XXL be overkill or would the XL be perfectly sized for my needs. BTW the primary listening position is 10ft away from the TV.

Would love to hear the Moderators input.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 8 years 9 months ago
Hi Nicklao,
It sounds like you are doing your homework, and listening to great speakers, and asking the right questions here.
I have the T 2s up front and the SC X in the center of my home theater, a little larger room than yours.
Taking your second question first, I am sure the SC XL will do great, you do not NEED a XXL.
Now to your main question, I feel sure you would be happy with the T 5s.
BUT let me say, although the T 5s might be perfect for your room right now, I always say (and this goes for the center channel too) get the best speakers you can afford. Because you will have them for a LONG time and the better they are, the more you will enjoy them for years to come. Rooms change, houses change, but the speakers will still need to do duty in their new place.
So, IF you can swing it, get T 2s or even Triton Ones. And the SC XXL.
You will never regret getting better speakers.
However, the T 5s with that sub (I would never recommend them without a sub) and SC XL should make a very very good system for your current listening room.
Have fun searching and listening, tell us what you decide and how it worked out!
God Bless, Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395, T Cobe

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 8 years 9 months ago
Nicklao,

Welcome to the forum! Wayne has some great advice. In addition to that, I would say go with what you like best and don't necessarily look at where the particular model falls in the product line. If you preferred the sound of the T5s, then go for it! If you go with the T5s, I'd recommend the SuperCenterXXL with the same balanced crossover technology. This is assuming you will spend a significant amount of time in home theater mode.

Regarding speaker size, I believe our Moderator Dude recently said, there is no such thing as too much, only too little. Honestly, with the path you're on, it would be hard to go wrong. T2s with the SCXL or T5s with the SCXXL would both sound great! Let us know how the auditions go and what you decide. Happy hunting!

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395

• wweiss's Avatar Offline
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
    • Thank you received: 130
wweiss Posted 8 years 9 months ago
Last edit: 8 years 9 months ago by wweiss. info_outline
My family room is almost the same size as the room you are describing. I have a pair of Aon 3's paired with a SVS SB-13ultra.

Unless the systems were side by side I would say it "almost" equals my Triton Two system without an external sub. Of course

Triton Two's run away when the volume is cranked up over 95db where the Aon's start to sound harsh.

I say skip the Triton Two's and go for the Triton Ones if you have deep pockets if not Triton 5's with sub should be equal to Triton Two's and save you some $.
So much music-so little time!
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 8 years 9 months ago
+1 to everything wweiss said!!!!

The point to be taken away from all this, to me, is that the whole family of GEt speakers share that same SUPER MUSICAL HVFR and sound!!!!! Even the small Aon speakers are AWESOME IF you can fill in the bass for them. Where I live good speaker stands are super expensive, so it made more sense for me to have towers than the Aons with stands. Now I am glad I went with the towers, where the Aons are amazing, the towers are just that much better. And the T 2s, as wweiss said, when they get cranking, WOW, we got music.
I hear the Ones are that much better again.
Go for it, you will NOT regret whichever speaker you choose. I would just recommend getting the biggest and best ones you can afford.
Happy hunting and listening,
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, rjohn79395, T Cobe

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support Triton Series Triton Towers Triton 5 vs. Triton 2