file Amplifier help with triton 7s and super center xl

• ckubs's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 17
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
ckubs Posted 9 years 2 weeks ago
Have had my triton 7s since April and love them. Just got the super center xl and love that too. I power the 7s with a b&k 125.2 and power the center with a emotiva xpa 100. I want to upgrade from the b&k because it has an awful on/off pop which I have to run a speaker selector to get rid of. My question is how should I upgrade? I have a 900$ budget. I can get a emotiva xpa2 for the 7s. Or I could get another xpa 100 mono block aND use two of them to power the sevens and get something else to power the super center xl. What would you guys suggest????
The following user(s) said Thank You: T Cobe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• anthem's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 9175
anthem Posted 9 years 2 weeks ago
Hey ckubs: Since you already have an Emotiva xpa-100 powering the center, I'd replace the B&K with 2 xpa-100's, that way you'd have your front soundstage powered with identical amps...
D-Sonic m3a-600m Mono > McIntosh MC152 > Primaluna ProLogue Premium Preamp > Oppo UDP205 > Decware ZLC > Triton Reference > Isoacoustics Gaia 2 > Canare 4S11 Speaker Cables > Audience Forte 3, Anticable L3 & Shunyata Venom PC's

Every great performance deserves an Audience!

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 9 years 2 weeks ago
Ckubs,

I have 2 XPA-1Ls powering my Triton Towers. For a time, I was using an XPA-1L on my SCXL and it made a HUGE difference. I'm sure the XPA-100 sounds very similar. If it were me and my money, I'd go for two more XPA-100s to have your front three singing in unison. Another option would be to go with two XPA-1Ls for the towers. I'm sure the XPA-2 would sound great as well. Let us know what you decide and how it sounds. You can play around with you front channels and see how the Sevens sound on your XPA-100...

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: anthem

• ckubs's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 17
ckubs Posted 9 years 2 weeks ago
You think the xpa 100s would sound similar to the xpa2 I have read reviews that say the xpa 2 will blow them out of the water. Then again I have a hsu vtf15h for bass so they really aren't digging deep for the power

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Change your wiring around and see for yourself. To me, the SCXL and T7 sound extremely similar. Having the T7s and SCXL all running off the same amps should provide one extremely cohesive front end.
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Ckubs,

When I purchased my XPA-1Ls, I was debating if they were going to have enough power and was thinking about the XPA-1s. It was a tough decision but I let logic prevail and went with the XPA-1Ls and have never looked back. If your look at how efficient the Tritons are, it really doesn't take a lot of power to hit reference levels. Like I suggested before, hook up your XPA-100 to a triton 7 and see how you like it. I think you'll find it more than enough.

Cheers,

T Cobe
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395, ckubs

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support Triton Series Triton Towers Amplifier help with triton 7s and super center xl