file Triton Twos: How to diagnose a bad sub amp?

• anynigma's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 15
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
anynigma Posted 9 years 1 month ago
Looks like I may have a bad sub amp...I just noticed that the green LED comes on and begins flashing when my triton 2 is plugged in, but the flashing never stops. Really bad timing, as my new receiver should ship any day now. I'm going to leave it unplugged overnight and try one more time in the morning. I looked into a few other posts here that seem to suggest some amp component(s) need to be replaced.

Should I do any diagnosis on my end to determine if its a bad fuse, speaker wire, or something? Or should I just call a dealer?

I have moved and I can't really get the speaker to my original dealer anymore, so can I just call any GE dealer in my area with my serial number and get help?

I purchased the speakers in late 2011, so my electronics are almost 1 year past warranty :(. Anyone go through this before, how much should I expect to pay?
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 9 years 1 month ago
Hi Anynigma,
WOW, I have T 2s and love them. And I have no first hand knowledge of your kind of problem.
SO, I am just writing to tell you I can feel your pain.
First, most obvious question and I am sure you have tried this, but does it still play? Do you get any bass?
Secondly, I would call the nearest dealer and get answers from him, what can that hurt?
Hopefully the Moderator Dude will chime in here with sage advice, that will be the best.
Please let us know what you do and how it works and the results. And keep in touch, we like to help here.
All the best with this tough problem,
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: T Cobe, anynigma

• anthem's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 9175
anthem Posted 9 years 1 month ago

Moderator wrote: Flashing green light means amp is in protection mode indicating something has failed in the electronics. Take the speaker to your dealer for service (call ahead with the serial number and they can get parts on order in advance). Repair takes about 15 minutes (replacement of the amp modules). Sorry, when things plug in the wall, stuff occasionally happens.

In regards to your warranty, my understanding is, the Good Folks at GE have gone above and beyond the warranty as stated...If you have a problem with an GE product past warranty, your covered...as least for now. Your cost will be time & gas.
D-Sonic m3a-600m Mono > McIntosh MC152 > Primaluna ProLogue Premium Preamp > Oppo UDP205 > Decware ZLC > Triton Reference > Isoacoustics Gaia 2 > Canare 4S11 Speaker Cables > Audience Forte 3, Anticable L3 & Shunyata Venom PC's

Every great performance deserves an Audience!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395, T Cobe, anynigma

• ArthurDaniels's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 1811
ArthurDaniels Posted 9 years 1 month ago
Hello anynigma,

I suggest you conduct what I believe should be a simple test. You can use either a Test CD with bass tones or just use a favorite CD with pronounced and steady bass. Simply play the CD and listen to each speaker alone with the level controls set to the same point and compare the bass sounds. It should be immediately obvious if one of the Twos is not functioning properly.

Once you're finished with your tests, then contact GE directly with the results and seek their guidance regarding how to proceed.

Best,

Art
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe, anynigma

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 9 years 1 month ago
Last edit: 9 years 1 month ago by T Cobe. info_outline

anthem wrote:

Moderator wrote: Flashing green light means amp is in protection mode indicating something has failed in the electronics. Take the speaker to your dealer for service (call ahead with the serial number and they can get parts on order in advance). Repair takes about 15 minutes (replacement of the amp modules). Sorry, when things plug in the wall, stuff occasionally happens.

In regards to your warranty, my understanding is, the Good Folks at GE have gone above and beyond the warranty as stated...If you have a problem with an GE product past warranty, your covered...as least for now. Your cost will be time & gas.

Yet, one more reason to respect GET. Good luck, Anynigma! The only thing I would try before calling the dealer would be switching outlets and/or power cords. Let us know how you get on.

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, anthem, rjohn79395, anynigma

• anynigma's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 15
anynigma Posted 9 years 1 month ago

WayneWilmeth wrote: Hi Anynigma,
I am just writing to tell you I can feel your pain.
First, most obvious question and I am sure you have tried this, but does it still play? Do you get any bass?

Thanks Wayne! I can confirm the bass section is not functioning. Non powered sections are working great.

anthem wrote:

Moderator wrote: Take the speaker to your dealer for service (call ahead with the serial number and they can get parts on order in advance).

Can I pick any authorized dealer from the list, or do I need to take it back to the dealer I purchased from (not an option for me...)?

anthem wrote: In regards to your warranty, my understanding is, the Good Folks at GE have gone above and beyond the warranty as stated...If you have a problem with an GE product past warranty, your covered...as least for now. Your cost will be time & gas.

Thats amazing, and so appreciated!

T Cobe wrote: switching outlets and/or power cords. Let us know how you get on.

Just tried this, no dice.

I'll make sure to update everyone on the results :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, anthem, rjohn79395, T Cobe

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support Triton Series Triton Towers Triton Twos: How to diagnose a bad sub amp?