file Triton 5

• Eric Tichi's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 76
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
Eric Tichi Posted 9 years 6 months ago
I have been holding off buying speakers because I want to hear the difference between the 7 and 5. I only want to do this once.
Play it loud.

Emotiva UMC-200
Parasound A21
Parasound A23
Triton 5 L/R
SuperCenter XXL
Dayton 18 sealed (DIY)
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 9 years 6 months ago
I'd be surprised if it isn't a slam dunk between the T5s and the T7s. The difference should be pronounced. Both reviews from CES 2015 seem to be comparing the T5s to the Ones. I'm hoping that they are in fact, comparable.

The T1s are amazing but I'm not 100% sold on the built in powered subwoofer yet. I feel like there may be some benefits and additional flexibility with the T5s and a pair of FF5 subs. I guess hearing will be believing.

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, JMAR

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
Moderator Posted 9 years 6 months ago

T Cobe wrote: The T1s are amazing but I'm not 100% sold on the built in powered subwoofer yet. I feel like there may be some benefits and additional flexibility with the T5s and a pair of FF5 subs.

I agree, more flexibility, and if I'm doing the math correct, about $1000 less expensive - BUT, two things that you won't get with Fives and outboard ForceField 5 subs:

1) Exceptional full-range integration - you can't get it as good on your own with separate subs.
2) As much bass output and extension - a pair of ForceField 5's will not quite equal the bass output of a pair of Triton Ones.

And of course you will need the space for both the towers and the subs, instead of just the towers.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 9 years 6 months ago
Moderator Dude, have you been taking "NICE" lessons??????
You just told T Cobe that you agreed with him, then proceeded to disagree in a nice way!!!!!
ha ha
Eric, sorry, I can't offer any advice and this is your question. I am sure you will have to listen for yourself when the T 5s come out.
But T Cobe, I was gonna say, before I saw that the Moderator Due agreed with you (???) that I would think the bass from the Triton Ones (sorry--for my self, not you, I have never gotten the chance to hear them) would be much easier to integrate into the room and your system than having two external subs. You have read of my struggles to integrate my sub.
What surprised me was MD's statement that the Triton Ones bass was more than what you would have with 2 FF5s!!!! WOW!!!!!
I would go with the Triton Ones, if I could.
Happy listening,
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: T Cobe

• JMAR's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 6
JMAR Posted 9 years 6 months ago
In my case for stereo use I believe the 26hz the T5's are supposed to give are good enough (actually better than what I get from my current home theater sub :) ). Now my mind is set on hoping to get them before end of march (as I will be traveling for arnd a month from Apr 1st so hope they get to Miami before) and grabbing a nice integrated amp as I want to keep this away from my current AV.

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 9 years 6 months ago
Welcome back, Wayne. As we have discussed here before with bass integration, my concern is flexibility. My current challenge with my system is that I can't get my sub to stop supporting frequencies in the vocal range and I get a lot of "boxy" or "chesty" support that makes the vocals sound unnatural. I'm worried this will continue with the T1s.

My understanding is that the crossover frequency for the sub in the T1s is approximately 100 to 120 hz. This is even higher than my current crossover (80 hz). I know a lot of other factors come into play. I'm sure my receiver and current sub-woofer are mostly to blame(crossover frequencies, cut-off slopes, etc.), but with my current challenges, a T5 with a FF5 seems to offer a little more flexibility for setting crossover frequencies. While the T1 may have more bass output, I doubt most people will turn up the gain all the way on either the FF5 or the T1. Both are capable of bringing down the house!

I know that the T1 is hands down the better speaker here. I just wonder if the T5 is a 90 to 95% solution with added flexibility to provide additional fine tuning... Please let me know what I may be missing.

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back