question-circle Triton One with Dual LFE Output Pioneer SC-89

• Eric Carpenter's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 3
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
Eric Carpenter Posted 9 years 6 months ago
In my time saving up to buy a pair of Triton Ones I had read frequently Sandy/Goldenear say that running speaker cables with the Reciever option for subwoofer set to off is the preferred method. My dealer, however, gave me Sandy's Set-up Tips printed out where it says that there may be a small caveat to that some manufacturers may have chosen to attenuate and roll off the LFE signal when configured this way.

Question 1: Does anyone know if Pioneer does this? I specifically have the Elite SC-89

Question 2: Assuming they do or it isn't known, the SC-89 has dual LFE output. I assume that I have one go to each speaker, but are there any specific tips or considerations when running MCACC? The tip sheet just references what not to do with Audyssey (no double bass, etc)

Question 3: Is there an easy way to switch between the two? Can I run my movies 5.2.4, then for music go back to 5.0.4 or 2.0.0?

Thanks in advance for any help/tips/advice.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 9 years 6 months ago
Hi Eric,
I think we would have to know a LOT more about your Pioneer to be able to answer some of your specific questions, I know that I don't know enough. Like does it run stereo sub outputs, or is it like my Marantz and just run the same signal to both subs? IF it is like that, just run an interconnect wire to both Triton Ones and connect the LFE. Set your Ones to small and the crossover to whatever you want, 80 hz or so, IF you have a good sub, I run 40 hz because I want my Triton 2s to play most of the bass, I only want the sub to handle the deep lows.
Then there should be no problem running your room correction.
BUT I do not know about your room correction. AND in your Pioneer manual, it should tell you an easy way to turn off the subs for music when you don't want them. But then, unless I am mistaken, you will not get the bottom 40-80 hz with music. I would work to get it integrated well for both movies and music.
Hope this helps, please let us know what you find out?
Enjoy the search, Happy listening,
God Bless, Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: T Cobe

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
Moderator Posted 9 years 6 months ago

Eric Carpenter wrote: Sandy's Set-up Tips printed out where it says that there may be a small caveat to that some manufacturers may have chosen to attenuate and roll off the LFE signal when configured this way.

Question 1: Does anyone know if Pioneer does this? I specifically have the Elite SC-89

Question 2: Assuming they do or it isn't known, the SC-89 has dual LFE output. I assume that I have one go to each speaker, but are there any specific tips or considerations when running MCACC? The tip sheet just references what not to do with Audyssey (no double bass, etc)

Question 3: Is there an easy way to switch between the two? Can I run my movies 5.2.4, then for music go back to 5.0.4 or 2.0.0

1. Probably. It appears this is a common-chip programming issue;
2. LFE is a mono signal, two outputs or a single output with a "Y" connector are the same thing. Run the MCACC as normal, if you wish, just make sure to have your bass management settings correct;
3. Unless I'm missing something (that you didn't tell us), there is no switching involved. The LFE signal is only present in sources with a ".1" channel. This does not exist in stereo playback and the only signal running down the LFE cable will be the LFE channel, if you've configured the system properly.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 9 years 6 months ago
Sorry all, just a quick follow up question here. If you run both speaker and LFE inputs to the Triton powered towers and set the LFE for anything below the speaker level input crossover frequencies, won't you be missing sound? In other words, won't the speaker inputs only play down to 100 to 120 hz? If the LFE then kicks in at 50, you would then be missing response form 50 to 100 hz, correct? Sorry if this has been addressed elsewhere. Thank you.

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
Moderator Posted 9 years 6 months ago
No. The L/R main speakers (Triton One's) set to LARGE (FULL BAND) get ALL the bass all the time from the speaker outputs of the receiver. The LFE cables will only be carrying LFE channel information, which will be added into the Triton's subs instead of being included in the speaker cable signal, which is problematic, as discussed.

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 9 years 6 months ago
Understood, but what if you set the speakers to small and set the crossover in your receiver for 80hz? Will the mids in the towers play down to 80hz on speaker level inputs or does the crossover limit them? Just curious if Wayne's suggestions above have any potential impact. Thanks again.

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support Triton Series Triton Towers Triton One with Dual LFE Output Pioneer SC-89