file CES 2015 and beyond-brainstorming future products

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
T Cobe Posted 9 years 7 months ago
Wayne,

My amplification is certainly not at your level. I'm still on an Integra DTR-70.2. It sounds very good but I definitely look forward to what a quality amp will deliver. I certainly don't mean to disparage the XL, it is a very good speaker. I think it is a perfect match for the Triton 7. I think we may both agree that is a compliment.

I believe my biggest issue is that I have it paired with the Aon 3 L/R speakers and they don't match in terms of timbre. To my ear, the Tritons and Aons both sound fantastic and that drove my decision to go with GoldenEar but the two lines sound different to me. The Aons seem to have a more open and airy sound from the HVFR. There is a bigger sense of space which will serve them well as surrounds. It may be that I still have some fine tuning to conduct...

As good as the SuperCenter XL and Triton Seven are, the Triton one and Two are just better. I think a powered center that is essentially a horizontal Two or One would round out an amazing home theater set up. I wish I had the room to mount my screen up 5 more feet so I could just go with three Triton Ones across the front... :laugh: thanks for taking the time to reply and motivate me back to my speaker settings menu in my Integra!

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Winefix's Avatar Offline
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
    • Thank you received: 70
Winefix Posted 9 years 7 months ago
I totally agree, I have the ones and they are about as close to perfect as you can get for two channel.
For a large home theater the super center XL falls short, would love to have a larger reference center from GE.

I previously used a Martin Logan Theater i center speaker with the Tritons and while a bit different sonically they presented a much larger and deeper soundstage and should have kept them (until GE comes out with a new enter to match the ones)
Good times, good wine, and great music !!
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 9 years 7 months ago
Thanks Guys,
That is interesting and you could well be right, but I have the Triton 2s and love them, and the SC X sounds great and totally coherent, one of a piece with them. I listen to a good bit of 3 Channel SACD classical and the whole front of my home theater is a seamless, wonderful wall of sound!!!
Your mileage obviously varies. T. Cobe, I can see what you are saying about the Aon3s, I have heard them a few times and like them, but I went with the towers. And I do get that comparing the two SuperCenters with the Triton 7s is a compliment.
I would try a few other pre-amp/amp options before I
a) threw the SC XL under the train or
b) waited until GEt makes a bigger/better center.
God Bless, happy listening,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: T Cobe

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 9 years 7 months ago
I've certainly misrepresented myself and the SuperCenter if you think I'd throw it under a train. Nothing that extreme. Worst case scenario, I move it to the living room when GoldenEar releases the Triton C! :laugh:

In the meantime, Wayne, you have me back to tweaking my system and working on room acoustics. I may start another thread for SuperCenter set up tips so that you and the other experienced members can share their success and wisdom. Thanks again.

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 9 years 6 months ago
How about an amp or pre-amp/amp that does a better job recognizing the powered subs in the Triton towers and doesn't roll off bass, but lets the Tritons play at full strength (it took me months of playing and finally adding an LFE connection to get the full benefit of the Triton bass). It seems avr's in particular are "timid" in feeding power to large fronts with powered subs because they don't recognize that the powered sub will do all the heavy lifting.
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support Triton Series Triton Towers CES 2015 and beyond-brainstorming future products