file Feeding amp's "Pre out" to LFE input of Triton 2

• MunFey's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 3
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
MunFey Posted 9 years 8 months ago
Hi everyone,

The Triton 2 has arrived for a week now and after putting about 50 playing-hours into it, they sound a lot smoother, and I LOVE them!

Initially I connected them to the amp with just speaker cables, they sounded good.

Then I added the "pre out" signals into each speaker's LFE input respectively.

To my ears, the bass sounded tighter, cleaner has a little more kick in it, which is curiously contradictory to the manufacturer's recommendation.

However, I wonder,

i.) The pre-out is line level output of entire frequency range instead of LFE will it cause any negative effect on the Sub and the sub's amp?

ii.) So far I don't hear anything funny/out of timing from these speakers but I keep thinking: there must be a time difference between
a) the speaker cable's signal reaching the mid and high frequency drivers and
b) the pre-out signal reaching the sub's amp, subsequently amplifying the signal, and then feeding it to the sub woofers.

Has anyone does similar connection before? And did you find anything unusual with the sound?

Thanks.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 9 years 8 months ago
Hi MunFey,
You are asking good questions and this is the place to ask them.
I am not sure I understand your setup at all though.
The old suggested setup was to just run speaker cable to the Triton 2s and let the internal crossover send the right frequencies to the right places in the speaker. And that works great. BUT some people report that their receiver limits the amount of bass it will send full signal that way and seemingly wants to send the lowest bass to the LFE channel.
So, we now have some recommendations (I want to be careful here because I cannot speak for GEt, only the Moderator Dude can do that, so I am just giving you MY UNDERSTANDING of what has been said) to take a sub output from your processor or receiver and run it into the LFE connector on the Triton 2s. That is what I am doing. And it sounds good. Not great, I still have some issues to work out (different problem from yours).
IF I understood you correctly, that you are running a pre-out output to your built in sub in the Triton 2, that is not the intention of that input.
I am not sure running a full range signal there would sound so good.
Can you tell us more about how you are hooked up and why you did it that way?
Hoping we can help, and enjoy the music, those are GREAT speakers!!!!!
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: MunFey

Hi Wayne,

Having upgrading from a set of 15-year-old Bose 901 Lifestyle IV system (CD Changer, receiver, power amp all-in-one package), you can imagine my excitement of having these Triton Twos :woohoo:.

I mean, the detailed highs, the smooth mid band, the lows, the imaging, the 3D-ness etc, especially after the 40-hour mark.

Well I'm not saying the 901 are bad, I still love them, they are just a long way from being "refined".

So I spent the next 7 days exploring the positioning, placement, trying to eliminate standing waves and reverb in the room, etc...

To cut the story short, at one stage I was going back and forth of connecting and disconnecting the LFE cable and I can't help but wonder about the "appropriateness" of hooking it up in such a way.

However, I'm only running it as stereo speakers now i.e. 2 channels, and 95% for listening to music.

The set up is pretty simple:

CD Player > Integrated 2 Channel Amp (75W @ 8 ohms P/C) > Speakers

(Densen B410+) > (Densen B-120 LE) > (Triton Two)

The initial set up was to run JUST a pair of speaker cables from the amp's speaker output into the Tritons (with the speakers plugged into the wall sockets and powered up).

Then the dealer suggested a simple way to "improve" the dynamics of the sound by feeding, simultaneously, the integrated amp's "pre-out" signal into the "LFE input of the Tritons". And that means we have to turn down the sub level dial from about 12 o'clock to 9 o'clock.

The "pre-out" connection is originally designed to be fed into a power amplifier, so the current integrated amp will act like a pre-amp.

I told the dealer the same thing, that is, I was worried the LFE input is only for feeding in low frequency, and not for full range signals.

So we tested it and indeed, it gave punchier, tighter and more dynamic bass response... but, there's a but,

Sometimes I would notice standing-wave-like boominess in some frequency.
And it's something that doesn't happen consistently even though I played the same songs again and again.
That's why I tried many times to connect and disconnect the LFE cable, trying to notice the negative differences.

Eventually, I couldn't part with the new-found dynamics and punchiness of the low end, so I decided to leave the LFE cables plugged in.

I believe if it sounded better, it should be hooked up that way.
But at the same time I'm trying to be a perfectionist to get things 'right'.

I hope GoldenEar can help clarify this.

Regards,

Mun Fey.

Hi guys,

I think I have the answer: do NOT feed pre-put signals into the LFE input simultaneously with the speaker input.
The answer became very clear after a couple of hours of careful listening to several CDs with different instruments and vocals, with the LFE cable plugged and unplugged.

With the LFE plugged in, it is not low end dynamics that is improved, it's was degraded in quality but exagerated in amplitude.
Sound stage was messy for certain drum and percussion tracks, so much so that I thought the amplifier was distorting.
Certain vocals exhibited standing-wave-like boominess.
I believe it was caused by the duplicated input signals fed into the speakers.

With the cables unplugged, the soundstage became much cleaner, deeper and quieter.

To compensate the missing low end, I just turned up the sub level till it sounded most natural.

Now, I'm off to enjoy some music.

Regards.
Mun Fey

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 9 years 8 months ago
Glad you are figuring it out on your own, well done, good job!!!!
Enjoy the ride, you seem to be doing great.
God Bless, Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: anthem, MunFey

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support Triton Series Triton Towers Feeding amp's "Pre out" to LFE input of Triton 2